Sad sign of the times

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Hmmm... we had the 2nd amendment but yet both of your examples still occurred.  I’d point to MLK or Ghandhi as examples of those who gained rights and freedom through non violence without the need to arm mentally ill teenagers with AR-15s.

The right for civil rights in the U.S. wasn't all non violent.  Have you ever heard of the Deacons for Defense? 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

::Putting on moderator hat combat helmet:: This discussion of who (if anyone) is "dishonest" is over.  Now. The discussion of who or what is a "terrorist" or "terrorist organization," at lea

@.40AET, please do not leave the board or even the discussion.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is @CalicoPenn In my opinion, one of the major problems with our society is the urge

The framers did envision the need for change. That's why they included a process by which the Constitution can be amended. My objection isn't to change. My objection is to those who would wish to chan

Posted Images

Yep. I saw their memorial in Washington DC.  Oh wait...  Point is that attempting to say we need to arm all Americans with AR-15s in order to fight the government is ridiculous.  There are a few groups that tried arm conflict with the US government recently (WACO, Oklahoma City bombing, 9-11, Bundys come to mind).  Those efforts failed and will continue to fail.  No amount of AR-15 will allow citizens to fight the government... they will always have more firepower.  If your not happy with the government you vote. If you want to keep high power rifles with large magazines legal, that is fine, just don’t use some sort of lame excuse that you need them to fight tyranny.  Several of the arguments in this thread are much more valid.  

I was not attempting to make the absurd argument that a semi-auto would enable a person or even a group of people to go head to head with a government equipped with tanks and airpower. I'm sorry if I have given that impression. 

I do maintain however that have been, are, and will be circumstances that require the use or at least the threat of use of deadly force in order to preserve one's life and or freedom.

These situations are thankfully rare but they nontheless exist. I personally have had two such incidents.  I hope and pray that there will never be a third.  I'm no Clint Eastwood.  But neither will I bury my head in the sand and pretend that if I disarm everyone else will respond in kind.  They won't, and I'm not going to be a sheep huddling helplessly and hoping the wolves pick off someone else tonight.

I dont want a gun as good as the bad guys,  when i am attacked I want a better one. The best one I can afford. I'm  not interested in a," fair fight " I am interested in protecting my family and surviving until the police can get there.

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Yesterday in a FB cub leader group someone suggested that maybe BBs should be removed from cub scouts as a way to prevent school shootings.  BSA shouldn't be promoting the use if firearms or something of that nature.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone outside of scouting would think this but a cub leader.. that is just sad.  I would think everyone would want their kids to learn gun safety and proper operation in combination with the Scout Oath and Law.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Police now advise/teach teachers and students to run, hide, fight. Should BSA add this training to YP?

Yes.  I was thinking of our Blue and Gold banquet and if a disgruntled/deranged parent would come in shooting.  Would we and our scouts and scout leaders know what to do.  Probably not.  It’s sad that it should be considered but I believe schools have this training and so should Scouts and their leaders.

45 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Yes.  I was thinking of our Blue and Gold banquet and if a disgruntled/deranged parent would come in shooting.  Would we and our scouts and scout leaders know what to do.  Probably not.  It’s sad that it should be considered but I believe schools have this training and so should Scouts and their leaders.

Our Blue and Gold dinner is in the basement of a city building, and the upstairs neighbor is the police department.  :)     

You gotta remember that this stuff is very rare though.  

Edited by WisconsinMomma
7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Police now advise/teach teachers and students to run, hide, fight. Should BSA add this training to YP?

Yes and no. Training should be done, but BSA is not the one to do the training. This can't be done with a one hour, on-line training seminar. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, David CO said:

Yes and no. Training should be done, but BSA is not the one to do the training. This can't be done with a one hour, on-line training seminar. 

Agree. IMO, need professionals teaching in real life settings with interactive exercises. Some serious individual thought as to what it means to be Brave.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Back Pack said:

I know the scouts would know what to do since we have had this training in my school district for years. Students know what to do so the training should be for the parents. 

In school scenarios maybe,  scouting scenarios can be different.  Can't lock doors and cellphones may not work.