Camp Totem Poles, Tepees, And Other Misrepresentations

Piutes and Shashone have deep cultural records. I have friends in CA who's lodges are based on those two nations. That's a far cry more local than Sioux.

I suspect most lodges go Sioux for the outfits or they can't be bothered to do the research.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PC or just grumpy, I find myself getting annoyed that my scouts go to summer camp and come back thinking the Northeast native Americans or all native Americans built totem poles and lived in tepees. A

@@RememberSchiff is spot on. We built a ceremonial team based on our local Indian tribe's customs, dress, etc. The local lodge is based on relocated Indians from the East, yet they say we are incorrec

National OA is promoting lodges to look at local nations, whether current or historical, and to go local. Some lodges have been doing it for years,others are now starting to. I'm fortunate in that my

Posted Images

When our District was denied our usual Camporee site, our DChair got creative and contacted the local Piscataway  Museum, and arranged for our Camporee to be held on their grounds.  It was  3 times the usual travel time, but proved to be a memorable time.   http://www.piscatawayindians.com/  

As it happens, their museum is presently in dire financial straits, and would welcome any support.

I grew up in what was once Comanche country, I guess. Heck, I was in Quanah Parker District, in the area where Quanah Parker was actually born. (There's a historical marker over at Cedar Lake, near Loop, TX, where I have hunted many times.) I never remember hearing of any other Native Americans around these parts (though I suppose there must have been others). Our OA ceremonies team always seemed to be generic plains Indian. But I just Googled Comanche ceremonial dress and Sioux ceremonial dress and glanced at the pics. They don't seem too terribly different (to my untrained eye). I'd even say that our ceremonial costumes were probably more Comanche-influenced than I ever appreciated.

Edited by mgood777

I grew up in what was once Comanche country, I guess. Heck, I was in Quanah Parker District, in the area where Quanah Parker was actually born. (There's a historical marker over at Cedar Lake, near Loop, TX, where I have hunted many times.) I never remember hearing of any other Native Americans around these parts (though I suppose there must have been others). Our OA ceremonies team always seemed to be generic plains Indian. But I just Googled Comanche ceremonial dress and Sioux ceremonial dress and glanced at the pics. They don't seem too terribly different (to my untrained eye). I'd even say that our ceremonial costumes were probably more Comanche-influenced than I ever appreciated.

You might find this interesting.

https://portal.utpa.edu/utpa_main/daa_home/csbs_home/chaps_home/imagesfiles/native-american-peoples-of-south-texas-book-publisher-format.pdf

Hypocrisy on this issue is rampant from the lowest individual to the federal government.

Recently seen on FaceBook....

It just depends n who's ox is getting gored on what day and whether or not it's a Thursday.

post-15031-0-32366600-1431438728_thumb.jpg

CM & WD,

One local tribe in my old stomping grounds had individual houses similar to your pic. But the community meeting place, was more substantial. Quinnipissa Lodge 479 built a replica of the Caddo House, and use it for their ceremonies.

I like it :D

@@mgood777, also try this site. Good site for tribes in Texas.

Cool.

From a map on that page:

1. Where I grew up.

2-4. Other places I've lived in Texas. (2 is the headquarters of the council where I said the lodge used Comanche-influenced costumes.)

5. Where I live now.

texas3a_zpsyvjzmbho.jpg

(Locations are approximate :p 1=Denver City, 2=Lubbock/Levelland, 3=Dallas area, 4=Breckenridge, 5=Snyder, more or less.)

• Upvote 1

I live in Wichita Falls.. Lodge 35 was my Lodge.  we are Influenced by the Comanche.. Our Lead Drummer and Singer is Comanche and Helps run Red River Intertribal Club and Helps promote Area Pow Wows......Can't imagine why we are not More "Wichitas"

• Upvote 1

I live in Wichita Falls.. Lodge 35 was my Lodge.  we are Influenced by the Comanche.. Our Lead Drummer and Singer is Comanche and Helps run Red River Intertribal Club and Helps promote Area Pow Wows......Can't imagine why we are not More "Wichitas"

We live on the border of Blackfoot and northern Chyenne. We choose Blackfoot. We contacted the nation and had a volunteer help use put together out regalia, showing us ancestral methods for making things. He's now our archery MBC. He was very appreciative that we elected to celebrate his nation by staying authentic. I guess we are lucky to have such a strong tie with our local nation. Well worth the extra work we did to establish the link.

Our lodge did NOT go this route. They just created a hodgepodge of regalia.

• Upvote 1

We live on the border of Blackfoot and northern Chyenne. We choose Blackfoot. We contacted the nation and had a volunteer help use put together out regalia, showing us ancestral methods for making things. He's now our archery MBC. He was very appreciative that we elected to celebrate his nation by staying authentic. I guess we are lucky to have such a strong tie with our local nation. Well worth the extra work we did to establish the link.

Our lodge did NOT go this route. They just created a hodgepodge of regalia.

That sounds like the way to go.

Hypocrisy on this issue is rampant from the lowest individual to the federal government.

Recently seen on FaceBook....

It just depends n who's ox is getting gored on what day and whether or not it's a Thursday.

That clip is a hoot.