What do they do with all the money?

Just what in the world does the paid part of Scouting do with all the money they beg? The only place I've seen them spend money is building a new council office, but I rarely see any boys there. Our camp needs work and every year the equpment is in worse shape. The latrines had no toilet seats until some troops bought them and installed them. The camp had a sailing program until the man that taught it (probably a volunteer) got hurt. Then they used different volunteers each week until they were told the equipment was not up to standard. So that was the end of the sailing program.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this point of view. It seems the paid people use the boys like "Jerry's Kids" to get the large businesses to donate money. Whenever I speak to a business person that donated they are surprised to find that the money doesn't go to the troops.

What does the paid part of Scouting do to promote Scouting? It doesn't seem to me they are doing their part. I don't see any national or local advertising promoting Scouting. It's all we can do to get any help with a school roundup to recruit new boys. The only thing they are interested in are numbers not building quality programs.

I'm done with my rant, but am interested in other peoples opinion. Is this something that goes on nationwide or is my council the only one? And when you respond tell me about the condition and the programs at your camp.

Well, while sitting in the Salt Lake City Airport, I did see a comercial about scouting on the airport TV system and while in South Carolina I did see a few bill boards extolling Boy Scouts. Our Council has two camps, that are fairly well equipped, not spectacular but pretty good. I dont know if this answers you quesitons. Does anybody know if councils are required to publish their books?

There is a lot of behing the scenes work required to maintain the support structure that allows we scouters to present the program to the boys. How much does it all cost? I couldn't hazard a guess. It would be interesting to see an annual financial statement from Council, and from National. I can't imagine it would be considered secret. Ask them and see what response you get.

While contemplating this thread, I was thinking about this, Our Council has 5 disctricts, each has an Executive, as well as the Council Executive. Add another 3 fulltime jobs for secretaries and then the two full time Rangers for each of our camps, with benefits and competitive salaries, thats a lot. Multiply that over all the Councils throughout the country and it adds up fast. Throw in updating Camps to include larger facilties and maybe even flush toilets and warm water showers, the costs must be staggering.

That being said, I would like to see my council's balance sheet with my FOS pitch.

Our council has five major camps (over 200 acres) and three minor ones (less than 200 acres). I realize that this is not typical of all councils, but in the past 5 years they've built a new dining hall at one, a climbing tower/COPE course at another, a new campground at the third, a new Webelos camp at the fourth, and a new all-purpose building at the fifth. They use their money well.

In my call for more disclosure, I did not mean to imply any mistrust on my part. Our council too operates multiple camps and really is hard pressed to keep with all the necessary repairs and improvements. I don't know how many paid executives and other staff our council has, but we seem to be getting our money's worth.

And let's not forget that ever important insurance. Last year an adult Cub leader broke his leg at the Council camp. What his personal insurance did not cover, BSA insurance did cover. Also, BSA insurance covered his salary while he was out of work for 4 to 6 weeks.

There are also outreach services to some high risks groups of kids.

I agree that a bit more disclosure up front makes you feel a little better about donating. Our council letter from FOS does mention how many boys are served in our council. We have only one council camp but it is a great one, and they are planning a Cub World.

Sounds like we agree the money is usually well spent, we just would like to see where it all goes. Actually its nice to think the money is generally well used. I can tell you on a business trip to Dallas a few years back, I just HAD to visit naitonal headquarters. Its right outside the DFW airport. It was a little hard to find, stuck in the middle of an office park and was a very non-descript building. It has a statue of a boy scout outside but other than that it was just a normal building. I went in and was stopped at the reception desk. Very little ornamentation. I understand the scouting museum is moving there, which I think is proper. I left with the impression national headquarters is servicable, but in no way can be construed as ostentatious.

In our council one only has to ask and the SE will show you the Base budget. It shows what is being spent and where, its general in nature but he will answer more specific questions if you ask. The only thing he told us he won't answer is what the individual professional's and staff make, but he will tell you what he is being paid. He came to roundtable and someone asked about budget and he reached in his briefcase and out it came. Like he said, why should he hide it. If you ask you probably would get the same kind of answers.

Unlike "nldscout", in some councils, like ours, getting financial information about the council is like pulling teeth. There seems to be a little fiefdom type view of things, and the sharing of information like that is hard to come by. I'd be all for disclosure on the part of both the Councils and the National council, too.

You should check with your state. Some states require Non-profits to publish this Info. Go to your Executive board represenitive and have him ask at board meeting why that info can't be released. it would seem suspicious to me if the board would not release it.

As you can see by my username, I'm in an overseas council. Because most of the Scouts overseas are affiliated with military families, AND because of the Presidential Executive Order directing the Department of Defense to provide specific (and generous) support to Scouting programs overseas, our council (and I presume Transatlantic does too) is intertwined with a Military Oversight Committee; it meets regularly, and the books are wide open. It's a lot more expensive to provide a program overseas than in the U.S., and from what I've seen, the books reflect that.

By and large, It's my belief that there's no scandals in our councils and how they manage the money. Rather, I think that collectively, the average Scouter has no idea what the council's expenses are and bases his impression on one or two anecdotal data points. They're all human and make their share of mistakes I'm sure, but a committed crook isn't going to hang around a non-profit BSA outfit; he's going to Wall Street!

I can see where our council spends a lot of their money. They just built a very impressive council office that looks a lot more impressive than the national headquaters sounds. My questioning in no way infers stealing. I just don't think that the paid organizations focus is on the boys.