Sea Base Staffer Arrested on Drug Charges

I'm told that I'm surprised by the news these days because I wasn't raised in their way of thinking. Not too long ago, I was relaxing with my dog on the patio of coffee shop. Between a couple of sips of Americana and petting Sophie, I overheard two young men who were counselors of a Baptist youth camp. They were planning for the next group of church youth, but sadly the discussion turned serious in dealing the rumor of a few bragging youth sneaking pot into camp. 

As a Christian, I was guided early in life that to truly understand God, we must live life to the fullest. And to understand life, we must live God to the fullest. As I struggle hearing about a personal life struggles, I pray that they are only halfway in the search for balance.

Barry

I wonder if he had worked at the local Auto Parts store if his employer would have been included in the story?  

Many Scouts and those that work at camps do not realize they are in fact held to a higher standard.  

2 minutes ago, TravelerJoe said:

Is this really surprising to people?  Maybe people need to re-read the philmont article in Outside from the late 90'/early 00's.

Forgot about that one, sort of read like a Grateful Dead experience.....

Hmm.  Had to Google that to see if I could find the article y'all are talking about.  I assume it's this one:
https://www.outsideonline.com/1919191/thrifty-clean-and-brave

I don't really see anything too radical going on here, though there's definitely some tales of hi jinx and "boys will be boys".

I wouldn't be troubled by the Sea Base guy if he'd just been caught with the reefer, but LSD isn't a substance I want to just dismiss with a wink towards youthful exuberance. If he's into that stuff, I really don't want him working where I send my kids.

14 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

I wouldn't be troubled by the Sea Base guy if he'd just been caught with the reefer, but LSD isn't a substance I want to just dismiss with a wink towards youthful exuberance. If he's into that stuff, I really don't want him working where I send my kids.

Yeah, when a staffer is having conversations with the fish, you need to be worried.

13 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

In addition, he was caught driving erratically under the influence.

About twenty years ago my troop attended Summer Camp at a council camp in West Virginia.  Three youth staff were caught smoking MJ with campers. 

How does that rank, ethically, with the practice of handing out merit badges with no requirements met? 

Lesson learned?  Rules are for suckers?

This is pervasive. Just another reason why boy led shouldn't mean adults hands off. I'm always floored by how clueless adult leaders can be. Perhaps it's because I was exposed to a lot of extreme stuff as a kid and could often see how easy it was to game or out flank the system should you so choose. I never did but I had to navigate around a lot of very unpleasant, scary,  and stressful stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

Over the years, I've had the sad duty of terminating staff members due to both drugs and alcohol infractions....sometimes, it takes some Scouts a little longer to understand not only the Scout Oath and Law, but how important they are to the team, and the Scouts in their charge.  As I see it, if a Scout can't walk the talk, it's time for that Scout to retrace his/her steps to see where they lost  the trail

Edited by le Voyageur