Around here, the school district calendar lists the last-day-of-school-assuming-five-snow-days.  Parents are told by the schools not to make any summer vacation plans that start before that date.   If we have more than five snow days, many families pull their kids out and school and go off on scheduled vacations, or sent their kids to scheduled camps.   Attendence is low and not much work is done on any make-up days beyond the anticipated five. 

In NC I've seen schools use the teacher work days as school days instead. Also some holidays have been cancelled to make up. And they have had Saturday make ups too. The Saturday in school affected the council one year as we had the district committee training workshop scheduled at a school that day.

A couple years ago we ran into this in Ohio.  They got creative about cutting back on spring break, Easter break, etc.,   by the end I think we added one or two days so school ended on Friday instead of Wednesday or Thursday.

2 hours ago, Cubmaster Pete said:

The oldest is, his last year in elementary school.

Once he's climbing rocks in the Badlands, he'll get over it....

We took our kids out of school to attend a wedding in Rapid City. Son #1 was assigned a lot of journaling. He had a lot to write about. We took a drive to the Badlands one day.

Here in Ohio, there was a change made a few years ago where instead of requiring students to be in school for a specified number of days, they have switched to hours.  School districts have built in so many extra hours into the school days, that you'd have to be out of school for at least a month before you'd have to make up any time.

Ohio used to give 5 "calamity days" (to be used for anything, not just weather) but since switching to the hours-based approach, those calamity days have gone away.  You just now need to be in school a specified number of hours during the year.

And now that so many schools plan ahead for this by providing "blizzard bags" when they know there's a good chance for school to be called off due to weather, that that has cut down on the number of actual missed time. That and the fact that many school districts provide students with laptops, they can continue to do work from home, even on snow days.

I can't recall any school districts around here that have had to make up days since they switched to the hours structure.

My district has NO snow days built in. They had been scheduled to release the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. 

We are now up to 6 June. At one area camp, staff week may be impacted. At another, First session will be four days in.