Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JasonG172

Unit Leader Award of Merit

Recommended Posts

So I am the CubMaster and I wanted to present my COR which is also a den leader with the Unit Leader Award of Merit.  Well it appears only CM, SM, Advisor or Skipper can receive this award.

My COR isn't your run of the mill COR she truly embodies the very definition of COR and shes "TRAINED" I take great pride in that because most COR's in my area are non existent.

 

I would like to award her with something

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think most CORs are non existent...

My district usually gives out 5-6 awards yearly, some for youth and some for leaders. I was somehow was awarded scout of the year last year.

There are tons of awards, and I’m sure your district or council can help more.

Edited by ItsBrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the "of Merit" family of awards, perhaps the District Award of Merit could apply.  But, each district gets a limited number every year - so it might be tough to make that happen unless your COR has been active beyond the pack level.

You could also consider the Scouter's training award.  That's a bit less of a "you're doing a great job" award, but if the COR has qualified and doesn't have it, that would be a nice presentation.

In the end, I'm thinking you best bet might a custom award of some sort with a small presentation attached to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would seem very strange to me to receive an award from a subordinate. Awards are usually given by, or recommended by, a higher ranking authority. If an award is to be given to a COR, the IH should be the one to do it.

Of course, there would be nothing wrong with unit leaders making a gesture of appreciation. 

 

Edited by David CO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many awards in the BSA are requested by members that, I guess, you would consider subordinates. The Leadership Award of Merit and adult Religious award are good examples. Many times Woodbadge participants will try to write Ticket Items to earn these awards and have to be reminded that they have no control for earning the honor. Which makes these awards all the more honorable, which is what Jason wanted to do.

Funny story; when I explained to a Woodbadge participant that the church had to initiate the request for an adult Religious Award, he assured me his dad was a member of the church and would make sure the church made the request. Or course I didn't allow him to use that for a ticket item. Some folks will do anything for a knot.

Barry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but I'm a CC and I've never thought of anyone as subordinate.  My thinking is that we're all volunteers filling pre-defined roles.  I sometimes describe it that we're all just actors playing a role in Scouting.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but I'm a CC and I've never thought of anyone as subordinate.  My thinking is that we're all volunteers filling pre-defined roles.  I sometimes describe it that we're all just actors playing a role in Scouting.

yes, supporting roles...

but

somebody has to have the vision for the troop and steer it to that direction.  From what I've seen most folks look to the SM, or CM for packs, as that top leader that set the vision.  I think this is likely because it's usually the Sm that has the "scouting experience" and the CC is often a person that really doesn't know scouting....at least that's been my experience.  When I was CM, I tried to support the DL's to set that vision in their dens....

we never had what I would call an effective CC.

but now in hind site, I realize that a good CC with a proper working knowledge and vision is probably the best seat from which to steer the vision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, blw2 said:

yes, supporting roles...

but

somebody has to have the vision for the troop and steer it to that direction.  From what I've seen most folks look to the SM, or CM for packs, as that top leader that set the vision.  I think this is likely because it's usually the Sm that has the "scouting experience" and the CC is often a person that really doesn't know scouting....at least that's been my experience.  When I was CM, I tried to support the DL's to set that vision in their dens....

we never had what I would call an effective CC.

but now in hind site, I realize that a good CC with a proper working knowledge and vision is probably the best seat from which to steer the vision

I agree that an effective CC's role is to lead the unit such that it operates in the best way possible.  It takes a clear vision to do that and the CC needs to be comfortable being a leader.  

I don't want to over do my analogy here - but indeed, some of those pre-defined roles is being a leader.  I'm a CC myself - in that role, pretty much all I do is lead other adults.

It's just think that we're in it together.  I would be completely comfortable with any of us recognizing another.  I could see in other places why that might be different, but in my area that would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our council gives out annual "God Send" awards to recipients nominated by each unit. It's a great way to publicly recognize key individuals within the units who may not have an impact at the district or council level, but are nonetheless invaluable to those they serve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but I'm a CC and I've never thought of anyone as subordinate.  My thinking is that we're all volunteers filling pre-defined roles.  I sometimes describe it that we're all just actors playing a role in Scouting.

Yea some prefer their CO over the boys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Not sure I follow what you mean.

Some believe their CO is God Almighty so everything under the CO are subordinates.  Some Co's could careless what we are doing unless something bad happens, in most cases they are just a meeting place and someone to sign paperwork at the end of the year.  Not directed at you Parkman

But back to the point she has worked very hard and never says no, and we should recognize our subordinates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, ParkMan said:

in the "of Merit" family of awards, perhaps the District Award of Merit could apply.  But, each district gets a limited number every year - so it might be tough to make that happen unless your COR has been active beyond the pack level.

You could also consider the Scouter's training award.  That's a bit less of a "you're doing a great job" award, but if the COR has qualified and doesn't have it, that would be a nice presentation.

In the end, I'm thinking you best bet might a custom award of some sort with a small presentation attached to it.

Actually, the District Award of Merit is for service at the District level, as opposed to the Unit level.   So it really wouldn't be appropriate to recommend the COR unless he is active at that level.  And the Scouter's training award has requirements attached to it, that the COR may not have yet completed.   We have several awards in my district to recognize leaders at the unit level.  The "Spark Plug" award is for those leaders that encourage and set an example of service to scouting to others

Edited by cchoat
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TO echo what @cchoat stated above, perhaps create a new award in her honor?

When I was in college in a business fraternity, I wanted to recognize a few members for outstanding contributions to the organization. We did not have a standardized award for such recognition so I created such and named the award after the first recipients. Every year after that, someone else would be eligible to win the award(s) for outstanding contributions to the local chapter. Since it was not based on a specific elected position, anyone was eligible but it was peer approved. Could even make it something that could be worn as a temporary patch (ClassB to the rescue).

20 years later, those individuals still take pride in the fact that there is an award named after them with their college fraternity and everyone that receives it, gets to learn a little bit about the legacy of the recognition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would approach your District Executive and explain what a great job your COR has done. Then ask for suggestions on what might be the appropriate award to recognize her.

Our troop recently hosted our annual District Awards dinner (which is mostly a thinly-disguised fundraiser event IMHO). They give out awards like candy at Halloween (more awards = more people who buy expensive tickets to sit in the audience). I had never heard of some of these awards before. Your District Executive might have some creative recognition ideas for you.

Edited by gblotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×