Boys and Girls (Co-Ed) Cub and Boy Scouts Are Coming

Being that I'm extremely active in scouting and also active at the district level, I'd rather not give an exact location or district.  I'll leave it at Midwest so I don't suffer repercussions...  For those that don't want to believe what I shared to the forum, that's YOUR Choice.  Just remember what I wrote when it starts happening in YOUR Area. A Scout is Trustworthy...

So, just so you know, there is no pilot for this   It's something someone made up and called scouting.  Trustworthy, not so much.  Putting yourself, your district, your CO at risk.   That's the reprocussions.   Calling something scouting that isn't does a disservice to those running the program.    Good luck with whatever that is being "run".  

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why this is such a huge issue, when it seems to work in almost every other country that has a Scouting program. I know that if given the option, my 12 year old daughter would drop GSUSA in a

This is an interesting discussion thread, and one where many commenters have no concept of what Girl Scouting is/does.    I get very tired of the argument that "girls already have Girl Scouts, it's

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I think it would be great if they did go co-ed. Last year then I finally brought scouting back to our community I was in a tough spot trying to serve as many ki

What people don't realize that if girls change, then everything the Boy Scouts ever stood for is gone and the new organization will be different.  It may be the same name, same awards, but the program will never be the same again. The first time a girl "get's her Eagle", she won't be getting the Boy Scout Eagle, she'll be getting the Boy-Girl Scout Eagle.  Not the same thing.

Why wouldn't it be the same if the requirements are the same? The name doesn't have to change, either. It's still "Eagle Scout". 

• Upvote 1

They want to tear down something that they want to join? I don't think that's their motivation.

That's the point. They CAN'T join it because it's not for them. They don't want to join the group that IS for them, so they want to force open a place they're not wanted to make a point.

If simply attaining the highest rank in their gender's scouting movement was their motivation, they would go for it. But that's not their motivation. It's to tear down what they can't have. Make no mistake, forcing open an all boy organization -- when there's a perfectly goo all girl option AND perfectly goo coed option -- is tearing down Boy Scouts.

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't it be the same if the requirements are the same? The name doesn't have to change, either. It's still "Eagle Scout". 

One can put an exact reproduction of Abraham Lincoln in the wax museum, looks like Lincoln, push the button, talks and says the same thing Lincoln says, but it ain't Lincoln.

Sorry, Co-Ed Boy Scouting is not Boy Scouting no matter how many comparisons one wishes to point out. 

I find it strange that pure gasoline is sold at the same pump as high octane gasoline and ethanol next to that.  They are all the same, right?

• Upvote 1

So, just so you know, there is no pilot for this   It's something someone made up and called scouting.  Trustworthy, not so much.  Putting yourself, your district, your CO at risk.   That's the reprocussions.   Calling something scouting that isn't does a disservice to those running the program.    Good luck with whatever that is being "run".  

@@RichardB, thanks for the clarification.

This sounds like a bottom-up movement (home-grown pilot?) not unlike many we've seen, and we can look forward to seeing in the future. They seem somewhat careless about risk. Or maybe they've mitigated risk some other way (e.g., the CO purchasing increased liability coverage)? Or maybe they find the risk of not innovating overwhelming the stated risks of going "off the reservation?"

...so they want to force open a place they're not wanted to make a point.

What's your evidence that the majority of BSA members are opposed to girl members? Or is it just your opinion, and so you assume that's a universally accepted point of view...

...Make no mistake, forcing open an all boy organization -- when there's a perfectly goo all girl option AND perfectly goo coed option -- is tearing down Boy Scouts.

So because other options exist, BSA going co-ed leads to the demise of BSA? I don't follow your logic. Why do the other groups even matter if it's your view that allowing girls in at all is so detrimental to the program? 

• Downvote 1

One can put an exact reproduction of Abraham Lincoln in the wax museum, looks like Lincoln, push the button, talks and says the same thing Lincoln says, but it ain't Lincoln.

Sorry, Co-Ed Boy Scouting is not Boy Scouting no matter how many comparisons one wishes to point out. 

I find it strange that pure gasoline is sold at the same pump as high octane gasoline and ethanol next to that.  They are all the same, right?

It's still the same. Unless you're re-writig the handbooks and requirements, it's the same steps to get to the next rank, same requirements to earn Eagle. 

Your analogies make no sense. You're comparing things that were fundamentally different to begin with. No matter how many nonsensical comparisons you make, the BSA program as it's written today is the same program tomorrow even if girls are allowed. 

FWIW, yesterday I talked to a boy who crossed over to a troop on the opposite side of town from me. It was an odd conversation for him because he wasn't used to adults who knew much about scouting. (Background: the boy has 4 brothers -- two already boy scouts, and parents aren't campers.) Or, maybe he wasn't used to scouters who posed as Sunday School teachers!

He didn't see the sense of camping with girls. Basically, girls aren't interested in camping, as far as he can tell. I told him about my venturer who proudly wears her "Boy Scouts Italy" uniform and has been camping with her mates since cubs.

He replied. "That's them. We're us."

I'm okay with co-ed scouting.  It's fine with me as long as we don't lower standards or change the program, which I don't think we would need to do.  

But on the flip side, I get frustrated with the inconsistent arguments.  For example, why celebrate WNBA or LPGA competition?  WNBA and LPGA competition levels are much lower than their rivals.  Seems like they should be farm leagues for the big shows and promote increasing skills and ability to get into the big shows.  Further, men should be able to compete in those leagues at the same wage levels as the women.  It seems unfair to promote a lower competition level at a higher wage for only that gender.  Women should have the opportunity to compete against men and men against women.  Same for military.  Why female only boot camps?  It should be full integrated jobs, housing, standards.  If men have to do 8 to 20 pull ups, so should women.  Same standard.   

Anyway, I am for co-ed scouting, but I do get tired of the inconsistent arguments.

Edited by fred johnson