If I could just get <> to stop <> and start <>.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You said it.  You are a meddling cub scout leader and a trouble maker.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

@@qwazse I am two steps ahead of you. I registered a few months ago as the counselor for Scouting Heritage and seven other badges. It's given me all the leverage I need to legitimize my presence there

I am sorry you have interpreted things that way! But this is not a matter of control for myself. The units should be run by the boys, not adults, and I only want to empower the boys to run their own p

Good scouters don't normally need "leverage" to legitimize their presence.  They get invited to participate.

Good scouters don't normally need to engage in "clandestine mechanations."  CO's will seek out their opinions and hold a high regard for their judgement. 

All assuming that the CO leaders know what a Boy Scouting program is supposed to be - a fact not in evidence at many COs but hardly surprising given that many paid Scouters at National don't know what the program is supposed to be.  Witness the Scouter.com article saying patrols are "one component of what we call youth-run, or youth-led, troop."

Good luck to you and your honest, plump face,
Great chieftain of the sausage race!
Above them all you take your place,
Stomach, tripe, or intestines:
Well are you worthy of a grace
As long as my arm.

Mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his ample fist a blade,
He'll make it whistle;
And legs, and arms, and heads will cut off
Like the heads of thistles.

You powers, who make mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill of fare,
Old Scotland wants no watery stuff,
That splashes in small wooden dishes;
But if you wish Scotland her grateful prayer, 
Give her a Haggis!

(Or use lots of hot pepper.)

Applications of ultrasonography in the reproductive management of Dux magnus gentis venteris saginati

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/Assets/Documents/haggisarticle.pdf

Edited by TAHAWK

Back to the original question...

Parents

Sitting on their phones/hands/backsides

Start helping out/interacting with their sons at events & meetings/fill some volunteer vacancies

All this after asking, requesting, soliciting, begging for help for MONTHS

• Upvote 1

Now shall we move to food and which nationality they go too?  (I was wondering how TaHawk got pasta with latin or scot since neither struck me as Italian.. *laughing)

If I could get Chocolate to stop being fattening then I could eat more of it says this Hershey Gal!

Back to the original question...

Parents

Sitting on their phones/hands/backsides

Start helping out/interacting with their sons at events & meetings/fill some volunteer vacancies

All this after asking, requesting, soliciting, begging for help for MONTHS

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Johnson.  We need some positions filled on the Committee for Little Billy's Scout Troop.  Which of the following will you fill so Billy has a Scout troop?  

Really? If enough people keep saying "no," we will have to shut down.

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Johnson.  We need some positions filled on the Committee for Little Billy's Scout Troop.  Which of the following will you fill so Billy has a Scout troop?  

Really? If enough people keep saying "no," we will have to shut down.

Been asking those we thought would be willing, no dice. Announcements every Pack meeting and event for the last 6 months. Silly me for assuming there'd be SOME people (beyond the usual corps of den leaders) willing to step up out out 45 families. But I got my first whiff when I asked the Wolf parents who would be willing to run a leatherwork night for the boys to make their own neckerchief slides and all I got were shrugs and shakes.

I agreed to 2 yrs as CM but have said I will stay on another year if we get a new CC so we can stagger filling these spots. 

After 5 yrs in and 3 more to go, I think I've already put enough in to have earned stepping back to a den role for my youngest's Webelos years at that point.

But no new CC? Then no CM at the end of the school year. I'm not subjecting myself to that. 

Shutting down? Yup, it's down to that. Ultimatum night is B&G, when we know most will be there. Before the event begins while boys are doing an activity in another part of the building.

It's a shame, after we built the Pack up with 25+ new boys each of the last 2 yrs with minimal dropout. 

Not relishing looking for a new Pack, but like others have said, sometimes things have to break completely before they can be fixed.

I know the feeling.  Thirty years ago, after the troop committee raised $54.00 in 3.5 years and would not come up with drivers for campouts - repeatedly (sometimes after we were many miles away and needed rides back), we voted with our feet and never looked back.   It was the seventh time that troop had gone out of charter over the years and it never came back.

The troop we joined is 109 years old September 15th.

The CO remained indifferent throughout.  The CO leadership made it clear that a meeting space (on most Mondays but not all) was the beginning and end of their responsibility despite the words on the papers signed each year and many service projects for the CO.  (And the meeting space could never be the Dan Beard Room built with a donation by an Eagle parishioner specifically for Boy Scout meetings.  That room was for other groups.)  Indeed, this Methodist Church's "Youth Minister" told me to send Methodists Scouts wanting to work on their religious awards to the Episcopal Church down the road.  He had "no time for that."  

Still, that little voice whispered "failure" to me for years, despite how happy the forty-two Scouts were in their new home base.

Sometimes we just can't fix things.