If I could just get <> to stop <> and start <>.

As SM I stay out of the "adult' side of the program.  That's the job of the CC.  If they don't want to raise money, the boys do things that individuals can pay for or stay home.   Were having a winter campout this weekend, Friday's meal is a brown bag of their choice and the rest of the weekend is pretty spartan.

It makes no never-mind to me, as an adult I bring my own food.

After a couple of "situations" the parents quickly figure out what it's going to take to keep things rolling along and eventually step up to the plate.  I find asking parents to take on a "job" they can back out because they don't realize the necessities and expectations of the position.  Once they see the need, it is easier for them to step up.

We were discussing rides this past week about the outing this weekend.  I said I would bring my pickup and haul gear.  The parents got their heads together and figured out the rides for the boys.  No discussion needed on my part.  The alternative was, if you want your boy to go, you need to drive him there yourself.  Carpooling is always a good incentive for adult participation.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You said it.  You are a meddling cub scout leader and a trouble maker.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

@@qwazse I am two steps ahead of you. I registered a few months ago as the counselor for Scouting Heritage and seven other badges. It's given me all the leverage I need to legitimize my presence there

I am sorry you have interpreted things that way! But this is not a matter of control for myself. The units should be run by the boys, not adults, and I only want to empower the boys to run their own p

I'll try to get this back on the rails of the OP.

If I could just get Troop Committee to stop treating the Boy Scout program like Cub Scout program and start respecting the concept of boy-led troop rather than trying to it like a pack .

And to be fair, it is only a small number of the Committee, but enough, the we need to routinely remind them they boys lead, SM/ASM's guide, Committee supports.

• Upvote 1

If I could just get myself to stop doing all this extracurricular reading and caring and start just going with the flow like most "average" scouters.

I'll try to get this back on the rails of the OP.

If I could just get Troop Committee to stop treating the Boy Scout program like Cub Scout program and start respecting the concept of boy-led troop rather than trying to it like a pack .

And to be fair, it is only a small number of the Committee, but enough, the we need to routinely remind them they boys lead, SM/ASM's guide, Committee supports.

If boys are leading shouldn't everyone else be following?  People who guide and direct are setting the path to follow that means they are the one's leading.  A lot of scouters are great backseat drivers thinking that just because they aren't touching the wheel that they aren't the ones requiring that others follow them.  :) 

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/books/review/the-gift-of-failure-by-jessica-lahey.html

Adults Association is males modeling Scouting values, and in that way, leading by influence - an accepted part of the adult role since Scouting began.  We disagree about the level of lassiez faire to be applied.  But better your way that the new norm of adults acting as PLs and SPLs.

If boys are leading shouldn't everyone else be following?  People who guide and direct are setting the path to follow that means they are the one's leading.  A lot of scouters are great backseat drivers thinking that just because they aren't touching the wheel that they aren't the ones requiring that others follow them.  :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/books/review/the-gift-of-failure-by-jessica-lahey.html

“The Scoutmaster guides the boy in the spirit of an older brother.†- Baden-Powell

To me to guide and direct are to very different things. Guides advise, mentor and act as role models for how things should be done. They are not the ones making the decisions. 

Tortillas, then.  Haggis burritos.  

Good night!  I clicked on the last page of this thread hoping to find a somewhat jaded or cynical fill-in-the-blank game, and I get haggis burritos?

As a son of South Texas, where tortillas are a food group and burritos are a way of life....orale, haggis burritos just ain't right.