The idiots running this jamboree

The uniform is only required for arrival, the big arena shows and departure. So where is the security in that.
OK. Suppose you're working security on arrival day. You see a group of kids and/or adults walking around in civvies and/or partial Scout uniforms - maybe just their BSA uniform shirts and a mix of jeans, shorts and greenish slacks. They don't have their Jamboree identifiers yet because it's arrival day. Do you stop them and keep them there until their identities check out, or do you let them continue to wander around?

On one of the big arena show days, even though the camp will be closed to the public (i.e. no visitors), same thing. No Jambo identifiers readily seen. Do you stop them or let them continue to wander around? At the 2010 Jambo, we had a subcamp staff member stopped by security on an arena day prior to the arena event until he could produce his Jambo ID – he was in a plain-colored t-shirt and green shorts (not BSA shorts, but a similar color). His Jambo ID was in his pocket because he had been toting something in his arms and he forgot to put it back on.

A few years back, we had a group of local kids wanting to trash the place and/or cause trouble with some actual participants at our local summer camp on arrival day. Fortunately they were stopped by one of the assistant camp rangers before they got down to main camp. (They didn’t know just how far back the main road they had to go to get to the summer camp area.) A Jambo can be a potentially larger target and garner a national audience for groups with an agenda if they want to cause a ruckus. That’s one reason why it’s important for all participants to be wearing the uniform for easier recognition, at least on the days requested.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone have a phone number to call at national to get this resolved???????/    

After reading these comments from so many different folks, I sure am glad we took our troop to Virginia in 2010 to visit what may very well have been the last good Jamboree!

Not to be in defense but I will. The extra fee for the whitewater rafting and the technical climbing were announced in December or January. It was in the webinar notes posted on the bsajamboree webs

When I went to the 1960 Jamboree' date=' the info we got for our council, Arrowhead Area in San Bernardino County, was $400 plus approximately $50 for uniforming, plus personal spending money and gear beyond what might have. My parents told me; "We will buy the uniforms". Somehow I was able to go; and they did only buy the uniforms, plus take me to the pre jamboree camp at George AFB and to and from the train in San Berdo. What is that in today's money? Who cares. It was one of the highlights of my youth, period.[/quote']

I've used ads from old Boys' Life magazines to run the numbers for uniform cost a few times; the uniform has basically stayed right on the nose with CPI inflation.

In 1960, a complete basic uniform cost a total of $12.30 (including optional gaiters). That's ~95 2012 dollars, which is just about what you'd spend on a new uniform today. If your parents spent a whole $50, then you should have got 5 uniforms.

You might have got 4 uniforms and a pair of official buster browns, or 4 uniforms and some combination of the fancy leather belt instead of the web one, or the nice metal neckerchief slide instead of the 15-cent braided one, or a couple pairs of the nice hiking socks. If you didn't get 4 or 5 uniforms, call your parents and tell them the jig is up and you want $100 for every uniform you didn't get in 1960, haha :p

(1960 uniform prices: http://boyslife.org/wayback/#issue=w5LFTj36kJ8C&pg=72 inflation calculator: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)

I can't imagine anyone spending $500 on uniforms for jamboree, but a middle class family had a lot more disposable income in 1960 than it has today; even the lawyers and doctors that populate our troop balked at the 2010 pronouncement of complete uniforms all week in 2010.

When I went to the 1960 Jamboree' date=' the info we got for our council, Arrowhead Area in San Bernardino County, was $400 plus approximately $50 for uniforming, plus personal spending money and gear beyond what might have. My parents told me; "We will buy the uniforms". Somehow I was able to go; and they did only buy the uniforms, plus take me to the pre jamboree camp at George AFB and to and from the train in San Berdo. What is that in today's money? Who cares. It was one of the highlights of my youth, period.[/quote']

I've used ads from old Boys' Life magazines to run the numbers for uniform cost a few times; the uniform has basically stayed right on the nose with CPI inflation.

In 1960, a complete basic uniform cost a total of $12.30 (including optional gaiters). That's ~95 2012 dollars, which is just about what you'd spend on a new uniform today. If your parents spent a whole $50, then you should have got 5 uniforms.

You might have got 4 uniforms and a pair of official buster browns, or 4 uniforms and some combination of the fancy leather belt instead of the web one, or the nice metal neckerchief slide instead of the 15-cent braided one, or a couple pairs of the nice hiking socks. If you didn't get 4 or 5 uniforms, call your parents and tell them the jig is up and you want $100 for every uniform you didn't get in 1960, haha :p

(1960 uniform prices: http://boyslife.org/wayback/#issue=w5LFTj36kJ8C&pg=72 inflation calculator: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)

I can't imagine anyone spending $500 on uniforms for jamboree, but a middle class family had a lot more disposable income in 1960 than it has today; even the lawyers and doctors that populate our troop balked at the 2010 pronouncement of complete uniforms all week in 2010.

I think uniforming included required gear too, such as the duffle bag, and yes, a few Jambo only items such as extra patches, neckerchiefs, and such. Do not have any idea how much they may have spent, but I think I had three complete uniforms, but just my regular shoes with one extra pair perhaps. That was Colorado Springs on a ranch, and we certainly did a lot of walking. Showers were fun too. Still remember we discovered the best time to shower was about 2PM to 3PM when the sun was just right. Was a bit of a shock to be in view of passersby; the showers were enclosures with canvas sides, open at the bottom about 2 feet and going up to maybe a bit over 5 feet. So showering was generally done in swimming trunks or shorts because people could see under and over.

Something that came out after the event that was probably more shocking then than now was that they arrested close to 500 prostitutes during the time it was on, and sent a number of scouts and more leaders home due to their choosing to meet said ladies. Kind of like camp followers I guess.

I only had two uniforms at Jambo 2010, One to wear, one to wash and lay out to dry. It was hot and the uniform dried out quickly. As a matter of fact at times it got so hot, I washed my uniform and put it back on wet, it felt great!

As far as showers go, 2AM to 3AM was optimal, NO LINES and no one else to peek where they weren't supposed to. Water was always nice and hot too. :)

Our water 1960 sometimes got almost warm; but it came directly off the Rockies, so you can imagine.

Well feedback from scout son on the jambo to this point......The opening show was ok, but it really was horrible sitting in the sun for 3 hours at it.... The lines for activities are HUGE everywhere he went......There is no shade.... He hasn't decided if he is having fun yet or not.

STATUES! Unbelievable, whatever happened to just naming buildings or campsites?

http://www.register-herald.com/jamboree/x316296927/Let-the-Jamboree-begin

The statues are Bob Mazzuca, Jack Furst, Wayne Perry, former Gov. Joe Manchin

Schiff, Are you kidding statues as memorials to these guys. It fits perfectly for these egomaniacs who contributed so little to the BSA and asked so much from everyone else in scouting. I guess Mazzuca's large retirement package wasn't enough of a tribute to him. Now you know another reason why jamboree prices soared up for this years jamboree