The idiots running this jamboree

It has always been BSA policy that you are always in complete BSA uniform, or BSA t-shirt when going to and from, and while at the Jamboree.

Yes, it is an added expense.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone have a phone number to call at national to get this resolved???????/    

After reading these comments from so many different folks, I sure am glad we took our troop to Virginia in 2010 to visit what may very well have been the last good Jamboree!

Not to be in defense but I will. The extra fee for the whitewater rafting and the technical climbing were announced in December or January. It was in the webinar notes posted on the bsajamboree webs

It has always been BSA policy that you are always in complete BSA uniform, or BSA t-shirt when going to and from, and while at the Jamboree.

I'm just waiting for the Ebay flood of Venturing uniforms bought by Scouts whose Council registered them as Venturers to fill their alloted spots.

Basementdweller ... I can't speak directly to this Jamboree, but every jamoboree I've read about and the one my son went on had it clearly documented from the start that scouts will have extra uniforming expenses. My son had to bring four full uniforms. We received our official tshirts. You either had to be in the uniform or the official tshirts. It was a big expense, but it was KNOWN before hand and it was part of the agreement. I bet it was in the agreement you and your scout made when he signed up for the Jamboree. Don't make life difficult for your son's Jamboree SM. He's applying the rules and I find it hard to believe that you didn't know this was coming.

If your son doesn't have the full uniform ... he will stick out like a sore thumb.

==============================

jr56 ... PLUS ... they all need to be in the same thing at the same time. Everyone in their orange Jamboree troop #### t-shirt now. Now jamobree scout shirt. Now .... The only thing that was not official was my son's swim suit.

Jamborees are expensive. They are the Cadillac of scouting trips. You really can't complain about cost during them. The Jamboree documents warn you ahead of time.

Personally, I won't send my sons to them again because of cost and because of the random draw of scout leaders.

How does that policy mesh with the official BSA policy that no boy will be denied the benefits of scouting because of a uniform ?

I am not suggesting I disagree with the policy, I just don't get the duplicity.

Although I decided very early on not to be on staff again at this Jambo and have had very serious reservations about the way it is being run (starting with the basic that it is completely different than any Jamboree we've ever had), I sincerely hope that the Scouts and leaders who pony up all those bucks - it's not cheap for the staff, either - will have a really enjoyable experience.

If they don't, it will be another serious setback to the BSA at a time when we can ill afford it.

Those of you who are there with your Androids and Ipads, please keep us up to date as it progresses. I'll be following the official feed, but would like to hear from those in the trenches. :)

Although I decided very early on not to be on staff again at this Jambo and have had very serious reservations about the way it is being run (starting with the basic that it is completely different than any Jamboree we've ever had), I sincerely hope that the Scouts and leaders who pony up all those bucks - it's not cheap for the staff, either - will have a really enjoyable experience.

If they don't, it will be another serious setback to the BSA at a time when we can ill afford it.

Those of you who are there with your Androids and Ipads, please keep us up to date as it progresses. I'll be following the official feed, but would like to hear from those in the trenches. :)

I was asked several times to sign up for shooting sports staff, the cost is what held me back. I can't fathom charging someone $850 to work.
So did your SM go thru your son's gear at their shakedown camp out????? Well ours did and every tshirt even completely blank was rejected. All of his target synthetics were rejected because they didn't have the BSA logo.....His olive short were rejected....because they were not BSA.

Well I told him I don't have $250 to spend on a BSA clothing for his trip....So he is going with what he has.....Tough cookies for his scout master

Well, I'm sure the rules don't apply to you, just to everyone else, as always. So you should be fine.
Yes, Jamborees are very expensive. They are a gathering of scouts. Not a gathering of boys trying to dress up like scouts. The imitation scout uniforms won't cut it.
Elitist much?

"Not a gathering of boys trying to dress up like scouts."

I guess the rest of us aren't really scouts. Does that mean we can get a refund on our 'Not Really' dues?

jr, you sound like you're the type of Scouter who is disappointed that you can only officially wear nine knots.

And you have reminded me of the attitude that convinced me to NEVER recommend a Scout go to a national event.

If HA ever takes the same tact, we'll be looking for a different annual outing.

I just can't believe you actually said it....

Hmmmmm,

I guess the though is if you can afford $1k plus for the trip another $400 for uniforming isn't that much extra.....

My understanding too is that the Campership money was pretty tough to come by .....

Don't want no rif raf trashing up the jamboree.

Basementdweller ... I can't speak directly to this Jamboree, but every jamoboree I've read about and the one my son went on had it clearly documented from the start that scouts will have extra uniforming expenses. My son had to bring four full uniforms. We received our official tshirts. You either had to be in the uniform or the official tshirts. It was a big expense, but it was KNOWN before hand and it was part of the agreement. I bet it was in the agreement you and your scout made when he signed up for the Jamboree. Don't make life difficult for your son's Jamboree SM. He's applying the rules and I find it hard to believe that you didn't know this was coming.

If your son doesn't have the full uniform ... he will stick out like a sore thumb.

jr56 ... PLUS ... they all need to be in the same thing at the same time. Everyone in their orange Jamboree troop #### t-shirt now. Now jamobree scout shirt. Now .... The only thing that was not official was my son's swim suit.

Jamborees are expensive. They are the Cadillac of scouting trips. You really can't complain about cost during them. The Jamboree documents warn you ahead of time.

Personally, I won't send my sons to them again because of cost and because of the random draw of scout leaders.

I am not making his life difficult....

But scout son is going with what he has.......

Sorry his socks are white instead of green........and he doesn't have 30 scout t shirts to chose from.

When I went to the 1960 Jamboree, the info we got for our council, Arrowhead Area in San Bernardino County, was $400 plus approximately $50 for uniforming, plus personal spending money and gear beyond what might have. My parents told me; "We will buy the uniforms". Somehow I was able to go; and they did only buy the uniforms, plus take me to the pre jamboree camp at George AFB and to and from the train in San Berdo. What is that in today's money? Who cares. It was one of the highlights of my youth, period.

Yes, Jamborees are very expensive. They are a gathering of scouts. Not a gathering of boys trying to dress up like scouts. The imitation scout uniforms won't cut it.
Yeah, everyone knows real Scouting can't possibly occur without the right socks.