Ty Cobb vs Pete Rose

Batting 3rd and playing right field, #21 Roberto Clemente!

Got to see him play! He could run, hit, catch & what an arm! One can only imagine the stats if is life had not been cut short.

Got his autograph, too!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

For some reason I was thinking the subject line contained the choices but I'll go with Brent on this one...Shoeless Joe.

Ahem, there's also 'Who', 'What', and 'I don't know".;)

They'll probably be remembered just as long as the rest.

Edited part: Ty Cobb, a good ole Georgia boy, could have eaten that wuss, Pete Rose's, lunch and had room for more.

But really, guys like Sam Jethroe, Larry Doby, Monte Irvin, and "Satchel" Paige certainly deserve to be considered as equal to the players in the leagues we tend to think about today.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Sorry, I couldn't resist stepping outside the choices offered.

When I was in Scouts, Thurman Munson was my favorite player. Don't ask me how a catcher for the Yankees became the favorite of a kid in Atlanta - I honestly don't know. I was crushed when he died in the plane crash.

If you are ever travelling along I-85 near the Georgia - South Carolina border, a side trip to Royston, GA will put you in the birthplace and home of the Ty Cobb Museum. It is only about 10 miles south of the interstate. They have some very cool items there - very much worth the time to visit. I hear he would take a file and sharpen his spikes in the dugout, done in a manner so that he couldn't be ignored by the opposing SS and 2nd baseman. Laughing all the while.

Since the cherces have been opened, I'll have to nominate my father, who played semi-pro softball as a catcher, ONE HANDED. Lost his left arm up to the shoulder in a construction accident before he met my mom, and according to my Uncle, could out throw and out hit many men in his league with the normal equipment.

I watched him when he helped coach my Cub Scout softball league and marveled at his manipulation of glove and ball. Catch the ball, toss it in the air slightly, drop the glove, catch the ball and fire it to third base. mm- mm-mm.

Sorry to say, all I have is his example and my Uncles remininces. No photos or record books.

"Course, Frank Howard was no slouch.

(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Between the two choices, Pete Rose. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

Brent, nice story, I'd like to hear more sometime.

Gotta agree with Ernie Banks AND Roberto Clemente.

Number 10: Ron Santo at 3rd (for whom the Cubs haven't found a suitable replacement since '71)

Well this will certainly teach me a lesson. I wanted a thread comparing Ty Cobb and Pete Rose. The reason was to contrast it with the thread comparing deaths in the military between Jimmy Carter and George W Bush. I figured there would be all sorts of statistics which could be looked at various ways and people would present numbers based on what they initially beleived to be true.

But, this got me thinking

I wonder how many times we do this, read a thread and then post items that have nothing to do with the threads intention until we are so far off the subject, you wonder how did we get here? The problem is of course, I am not entirely blameless on this account.

But, this got me thinking

Who am I to be disappointed? I asked a question, I thought it was clear that the "who was the better player and why" was between Cobb and Rose but that is not the way the post was interpretted by posters. How many times is a thread started that goes a completey different direction that the one originally intended by the originator?

Anyway, it does prove a point that was talked about a few years back, threads are like Forest Gump's feather, they drift where they will and control is pretty near impossible. Moderators can control content, but show their own bias based on their actions and in an attempt to be fair, some threads go on longer than they should (well I feel they should) but I am reluctant to close them because just because I dont like what is being said doesnt make it wrong, it just means I dont like it.

BTW, I think Rose was a better player. Compare the fielders gloves of Cobbs era with the gloves of Rose's. Line drives snared by a shortstop and balls caught "snow cone style" in the outfield during Rose's era would have missed the gloves of Cobb's era by inches.

I am saying when you campare two people from different era's people can come up with any number of statisitcs to prove an opinion they already have and my first post had to many things that could be interrpreted differently. I will have to do better in the future

BTW, I disagree with Hester being the better ball player, as a kick returner he is without question the best playing today, but he needs to upgrade his skills as a receiver, I recall a ball bouncing off his shoulder pad in a loss to the Giants I beleiev it was. THen again, the best Ball Player could have been Walter Payton, he plunged through the lines and gained yards multiple times although neither Payton nor Hester could tackle like Butkus ::bowing head::

Oh well, last year at this time I was contemplating the Bears as Super Bowl winners, now I wonder what it will take to get them back to playoff contention, let alone getting to the Superbowl

BTW2, is this how threads get off track?