Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9613 topics in this forum

1. Veteran's Day material

• 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.9k views
  2. living by scout oath

• 3 replies
    • 1.8k views
  3. Summer Camp Stories

• 2 replies
    • 1.4k views
  4. troop flags

• 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
  5. HELP for WW Scouting

• 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
  6. Webelos at pack meetings

• 3 replies
    • 1.6k views
  7. Scoutmate software

• 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
  8. Yet another Paper Eagle 1 2

• 16 replies
    • 4.9k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.4k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• Definitions vary, but generally a sapling is defined as within a diameter (less than 4-5 inches) at a certain height (4.5ft) aka the diameter breast height (dbh) and not by the height of tree. Saplings can be quite tall (over 10ft) depending on species, sun exposure, and soil condition. Height of Tallest Saplings in 10 year old Appalachia Hardwood Clearcuts https://www.fs.usda.gov/ne/newtown_square/publications/research_papers/pdfs/scanned/OCR/ne_rp381.pdf
    • TBH when Scouting America announced that they would allow girls to join, but hastened to add gender -separated still to preserve the benefits of that, my immediate thought was "what benefits?" They never even explained what they were meant to be, and until encountering this anxiety about girls in Scouting America I had never heard of all these problems with doing things together with the opposite gender at any and all ages, not just in scouting but anywhere. Well, I take that back - I have heard about it from refugees. But from my Swedish POV their complaints sound like optional problems to have, since nobody else is having them, not even all refugees. I hear what they're saying, but it doesn't 'click' with my own experiences and the fact that the ones with issues with people doing things with the opposite gender are also from countries with little respect for women doesn't help endear me to their angst. My own experiences with men from those countries easily top my personal 'most sexist experiences' list. I mention this so that you know that this "genders need to be separated" idea is in my mind strongly associated with sexism with the intent to disenfranchise women, take away our freedom to do as we please, and treat us like sex objects. I'm not saying that everyone talking about the need for gender separation in any circumstance ever, but because the association is so strong you should be aware that it's there. The subject triggers it. It's like that for me also with this boys need their own space line of thinking I hear people express here. It doesn't seem to be 'boys' as much as 'some boys', and I'm not entirely sure what the problem is exactly. My best guess is social anxiety based on what I've read. It's not a problem everyone is having. People allude to it but rarely get specific enough to problem-solve, and the correlation between more sexism and more gender separation is the elephant in the room. I'm assuming that your sincere personal intent is not to be sexist? Would you be willing to explain what was happening for you that made you want to retreat from girls? Even if they're 2-3 m tall? I thought saplings were much smaller.
    • I wish it was that simple.  Prioritizing my obligations was simple on Monday.  1. Work related that I couldn't blow off or my boss would find out?  2. Scouts. 3. Everything else.  Kids had a sports game the same day as a Cub Scout event?  No brainer, we'll be camping.  I have a hard time being loyal back when an organization is disloyal.  I'm just Scottish and German enough to take it personally and say "Screw it" even if I really want to be there.
    • FINALLY !   Our time with Pinewood Derby shows results : : : 
    • @Armymutt, I empathize, brother... And I want to encourage you.   As a veteran, I know you grok what servant leadership is and means... and I know it is frustrating to see, hear, and have others around you who do not. (and to have to live through the consequences of their questionable decisions.) The ideals and values we espouse are best transmitted (and maybe ONLY transmitted) through your example and presence. Without the likes of you, we are lost. Thanks for putting on the uniform... both of them 🦾   Continue to stand in the gap.    
  • Who's Online (See full list)