SM and ASMs drop ball -- AC catches flak.

So, at a recent campout, the SM and ASM decide to hold BoR's for various things, including a couple of Life's.

Not surprisingly, no one informs the AC, so at Monday's CoH, a couple of boys and sets of parents are ticked that boys didn't get the award. Tag team flak attacks occur after CoH.

AC (read: My Wife) has been in a sour mood since...of which only *I* get the brunt of.

Thanks SM's and ASM's!

Truly glad that wife has stepped down...

At the beginning of every COH our Scoutmaster makes a pre-emptive disclaimer along the lines of "We're only human, so if we missed an award just come up to us afterwards and we'll take care of it."

It does help to deflect any "flak attacks" before they ever happen.

But I guess that's a reflection of leaders working together as a team and trying to protect each other from things like "flak attacks." Unfortunately that seems to be lacking in your troop. Unless, after the COH, the SM told everybody it was his fault and they should blame him -- but it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

So, at a recent campout, the SM and ASM decide to hold BoR's for various things, including a couple of Life's.

To presume that this is in line with BSA guidelines, I'll interpret it as saying "the SM decided to get some MCs and/or parents who were on the trip to do some impromptu BoRs."

It's irrelevant to the point, though, as to whether the BoRs were properly constituted. Either way, the AC needs to find out somehow.

a couple of boys and sets of parents are ticked that boys didn't get the award.

Someone seems to be a little bit entitled here. The thing that would tick me off is that the parents aren't giving the leaders any slack.

As SM, I have learned, just as NJCubScouter says, to try to deflect these things by warning everyone up front that we might miss something and if so we'll work it out.

I've also learned to say "It's my fault." Everything, anything, home, office, Scouts - give me the blame. Then move on.

We also struggled with exactly how to make sure the awards get recorded. We've used two different policies in recent times:

1. At the completion of the BoR, return the book to the Scout. Tell him that it's his responsibility to go see the AC to get his accomplishment recorded. That way no leader is at fault if it doesn't get recorded.

2. Because of some issues with #1 (Scout neglects to take book, AC isn't at this meeting, ...) we now have the board keep the book. The head of the BoR then gets the book(s) to the AC.

So in this case, what were the Scouts told at the end of the BoR?

What might the troop do to set expectations for Scouts and parents about how this is handled?

"My first question would be why are the SM and ASM conducting BORs? That is the job of the Committee Chair, and presumably, the "advancement chair" (technically a "troop committee member") would serve on said BORs."

Apparently there (was a/were) committee member(s) at the campout (I don't know which one(s))...so when Scout XYZ asked for a BOR, they said yuuppp. Neither the CC nor the AC were present.

I am sooo happy we're done with the whole AC thing. Tired of taking the heat when the Troop Leaders screw up.

Yep, some folks messed up. Usually the SM catches all the flak for the mistakes other adults (like the AC) make in doing this scouting stuff. I agree with NJ, doesn't sound like leaders working as a team.

Barry

shouldn't have happened... at the end of boards with son's troop they congratulate the boy and let him know they will give the form to advancement person and they will get him his new rank badge as soon as they can. Most of the time it's the next meeting, but there are times such as if a BOR is done on a campout that the form isn't turned over to advancement person until the next meeting so it would be the next one after that when badge is given.

while it's great to have that immediate recognition - there are times that life happens and a boy will have to wait a little longer. The key is they don't start being "Life" (as an example) once they get the badge - they are "Life" as soon as they are congratulated.

Good for the SM and ASM in helping facilitate their boys advancement. That's what they should be doing.

They should also do so with the knowledge and support of the AC. Even if the AC isn't present, s/he should be informed of what is going to happen, or at least, what has happened. Ground rules for BOR's on campouts would help in the future.

This is no reason to resign. Mistakes get made. Acknowledge them and move on.

Strive to have a drama free troop. Don't participate in it. Gossip less. Shushh those that do.

Be understanding and supportive.

Praise more.

Well, IMHO, the SMs and ASMs didn't drop the ball (unless they didn't have three non SM/ASM Committee members for the BOR), the Scout did. In our troop, the Scout is required to talk to the AC (or soon, the Troop Scribe) about recording advancement. If he doesn't do it, the Advancement is never recorded, the Council is never notified, and the Scout doesn't receive recognition for it. I will admit as AC, I often prompt Scouts about advancement recording, but it's the Scout's responsibility.