Unoffical end of neck slides

Metal slides = imitation woggles.

I often converted old boot laces (back when they were leather) and leather patches to slides similar to the link @InquisitiveScouter posted.

l do like the friendship knot, but make no mistake: at World Jambo I recieved a lot of neckerchief slides. They aren't going away ... especially if the scoutshop has a chance to monetize it.

Who wants to bet on how soon BSA will be stamping out metal friendship knots for $5.00 each?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The friendship knot, especially tied loose like those will come undone very easily, you only need to pull one tail out and the whole thing falls apart. I blame the World Jamboree of course, all t

y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy people.  If the youth want to wear the friendship knot, let them.   

This "debate" goes back to that debacle with Yve St. Larent (spelling?  ) back in the 70's when for some god forsaken reason, the BSA decided they needed to "update" the uniform, and so asked that fas

Posted Images

20 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

Part of the reason we use slides or slipknots is so that, in an emergency, the neckerchief can be whipped right off and used as needed. It's the very practicality of the neckerchief as an emergency tool and garment that makes it so important and and demonstrative of utilitarian Scouting values. Taking the time to undo a fancy knot like that seems like the very antithesis of that intent...

If that is the true intent, the slides aren't the problem, the neckerchief itself is. We need to go back to square neckers folded in half, and at a large enough size to actually be usable as a first-aid tool or other device. The knot really has very little to do with the utility of the neckerchief.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

I often converted old boot laces (back when they were leather)

Leather laces are still available. Firefighters use them, or at least those fighting forest fires.

I would get white laces, dye one part blue, one part red and then carefully tie a woggle that had a blue, a white and a red stripe.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, MattR said:

Leather laces are still available. Firefighters use them, or at least those fighting forest fires.

I would get white laces, dye one part blue, one part red and then carefully tie a woggle that had a blue, a white and a red stripe.

I am just not so good at turk's heads to get the colors aligned, but it sounds pretty.

3 hours ago, FireStone said:

If that is the true intent, the slides aren't the problem, the neckerchief itself is. We need to go back to square neckers folded in half, and at a large enough size to actually be usable as a first-aid tool or other device. The knot really has very little to do with the utility of the neckerchief.

Are the ones being sold really THAT small? Mine are pretty large, and I have used them to demonstrate slings, tourniquets, and bandages for every part of the body. As far as I can tell, they are plenty large enough to be useful (they did make them larger again a few years ago, mind you). I may not be the biggest guy around, but at almost 5'9 and 180 lbs I have no problems with the current size. I DO like the idea of going back to full squares though, more for the fullness than for the size itself. 

• Upvote 1

My military issue triangulars are 37x37x52 and some are 46x46x65 (I like these a lot)

On line suppliers for commerical market are in the range of 40x40x56 (OSHA requirement to meet ANSI/ISEA Z308.1-2015

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.151AppA

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.266AppA

http://dir.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dirnvgov/content/News/Useful Guidance for First Aid Kits.pdf

Our Scout Supply Troop neckers measure 34x34x48.  Although another "researcher" has data saying otherwise https://observer.wunderwood.org/2010/11/09/how-big-is-a-scout-neckerchief/

First Aid supply checklist in Scout Handbook calls for 40 inch (driven by OSHA/ANSI I suppose).

I have a little experience teaching First Aid, and find the Scout neckers fine for youngers/smallers, not good for the heftier ;)

IMO, Scout Supply neckers should, at a minimum, comply with the 40(x40x56) (isosceles right triangle implied?) called for in Scout Handbook for First Aid.

G2A&I says "Special neckerchiefs, the same size as the official ones, may be authorized by local councils. Such neckerchiefs may include identification of the chartered organization. The standard designed neckerchief may be personalized with troop number, city, and state." (Who follows the G2A&I?? 😣)

Any of you ever ask council approval for a custom Troop necker? Or would you?

"No" on the squares....doubling the material seems hot to this southern boy...

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

Are the ones being sold really THAT small? Mine are pretty large, ...

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2010/11/09/how-big-is-a-scout-neckerchief/

The WSJ neckers were 36" on a side, if I recall. (I've given all mine away.)

On 3/9/2020 at 10:20 AM, ham_solo said:

But it does seem interesting that national seems to have made that uniform decision to set that as a new standard and not even communicated it to anyone(like usual).

Until I see it in a uniform guide, or pictures of it with other neckers besides Scout-me-in, I would not say its a "new standard". 

In fact, there are other pictures on facebook that show them NOT wearing those, and wearing regular neckerchiefs with slides.  So they must have swapped them out for certain photo opportunities. 

FBCDF5FD-0B4C-4313-92F0-BA43D7ACCA56.jpeg

6E2CB257-81EB-452F-81EF-D85ABFCF0016.jpeg

Edited by scotteg83
50 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

In fact, there are other pictures on facebook that show them NOT wearing those, and wearing regular neckerchiefs with slides.  So they must have swapped them out for certain photo opportunities

The Scout Me In neckerchief is more of a PR item than any actual uniform piece. I have one I wear when I'm out and about doing community relation stuff.