mrkstvns

Girls in Scouts BSA in the News (and in recruiting numbers)...

5 hours ago, Cburkhardt said:

There is a very balanced, intelligent article in Bloomberg today.  It is, perhaps, the best factual and neutral piece of reporting on Scouts BSA I have seen in months. Just google Scouts and Bloomberg.   Highly recommend it.

It can be found here:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-04-17/boy-scouts-are-just-scouts-now-and-that-s-making-girl-scouts-mad

And I agree, it's a really good article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let’s have some fun.  I predict that the November 2022 membership numbers will reflect that Scouts BSA will have net grown boys very slightly compared to year end 2018 — effectively replacing the 65% of Church of JC of LDS Members I think will depart.  And, I believe we will have no less than 200,000 girl members.  This is because we will no longer be carrying cultural war baggage and the family scouting approach will have been proven to draw membership.  Okay folks, what do you think?  Don’t just make wild predictions.  Have rationale for your views.

I have no idea nationally.  I expect our all-boy Troop to continue to have strong membership, and I expect the new girls' troops in the area to continue to build.  I think that as more parents see Scouts BSA as a viable and attractive alternative to Girl Scouts the girls' numbers will grow. Plus they won't have to deal with the ridiculously low proceeds from their cookie sales. 

Edited by WisconsinMomma

“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future”

That said.... 

I predict a bankruptcy filing in 2020 to help spread the blame a bit to the loss of LDS scouts instead of primarily due to loss of total members and sex abuse court cases. 

I don’t know if larger membership numbers should be the ultimate goal, sustainable and stable numbers should be.   I see paths to massive increases in total membership but some could sacrifice the program.

Outside of a massive shift to a family recreation/day care program (we shouldn’t do this) or figuring out how to grow in urban/immigrant areas (we should do this) I see our numbers continuing to decline.  Parents seem to have less time to volunteer, kids have more and more activities and entertainment options, and both see scouting as solving 20th century problems.  Dean Kamen maybe the 21st century Baden-Powell.

I do see BSA as a fun and important program for our youth... but I don’t see the majority of our society aligned with that mindset.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I don’t know if larger membership numbers should be the ultimate goal, sustainable and stable numbers should be.   I see paths to massive increases in total membership but some could sacrifice the program.

Both are good, but yeah, finding a way to stabilize membership is way more important than temporarily boosting numbers.