How do you keep the [deleted] temporary patches from falling off?

Are you referring to temporary patches as worn on the right pocket?

Well,

I just sew them on when I want to wear them on my uniform. When I want to switch out the old patch for a new one, I remove the former with a small seam-ripper, then I sew the new one right on the pocket (by hand so that I can still use the pocket). The whole process takes only 10 - 20 minutes depending on size of the patch. So far, none have ever fallen off my shirt. So, my experienced recommendation is: the ol' needle n' thread. 

• Like 2

I agree with sewing as the best strategy. Obviously, that means a fella can't swap out a temporary patch but once a year while taking online YPT (that might be the only spare time someone has) ... so choose your absolute favorite. Mine's been on for nearly 40 years (actually hopped from shirt to shirt once :cool:).

Edited by qwazse
Okay maybe it was on more than two shirts ...
  • Like 1

For about a buck a piece, our local Scout Shop sells transparent plastic patch holders that fasten to your shirt via the button on the right hand pocket. They're available in a circle shape that fits the "standard" round patch (the size of a position of responsibility patch) and a square shape that fits the less standard square size and some of the odd-ball shaped patches. The holders aren't super tough however, so they're not suitable for all occasions. But I use them to switch out patches about once a month for our Pack meetings since I accumulated a few during my youth. 

All that being said, sewn patches will take a lot more abuse. I recommend sewing with long stiches pulled snug rather than many short stiches pulled really tight. That way the patches can be sewn on quicker, should lay flat and will be easier to use you seem ripper to remove when you're ready to switch patches. 

Good luck!

When I get temporary patches, like Camporee patches or WOW patches, I take a hot glue gun and a 3 inch piece of leather shoe lace, and glue the ends of the lace on to the back of the patch, making  a loop.  This will allow you to button the patch to the pocket of the shirt.  The patch hangs from the button, the same way that the plastic patch holders do.  It acts like the Philmont patch, which hangs off the button the same way.  I can change out the temporary patches in 5 seconds as the need arises.  The glue does not harm the patch, and can be removed fairly easily if need be.  I have found it to be a good practical solution.

Yeah, the button loop is what doesn't work - I think I'm going to have to go ahead and sew the one on that I'd like to have.

The loop would probably work better if I didn't tend to keep things in my pockets - but I hate non-functional pockets.

Thanks for the help, everyone!