More gems from Baloo...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A part of me keeps hoping to wake up and discover this was all just a big joke. 

The new in-person course for 2018. 

Posted Images

Just follow "the books" and what 100+ years of common Scouting knowledge suggests. In-person training is great but sometimes there is "that one guy" who goes off script with their own theory, or is reading from a defective script.

10 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

When confronted with the 6 essentials for a hike, the trainers had no response and just cited the instruction manual

This is what made me think the instructors didn't know what they were talking about.  I mean, don't take water on a hike?  Seriously?  I could (maybe) understand a suggestion to carry a *reasonable* amount (i.e, don't tell a Tiger to carry 3 gallons of water for a one mile hike) but other than that...

Sounds like the trainers were told "just go teach this" without any preparation or anything.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

But, is that different than what is being taught in 2018? Your link is to a document published in 2017. As I understand it, there is a new class for 2018.

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2018/02/bigger-better-baloo-outdoor-training/

In that article

"That hybrid has now become the official approach. The latest BALOO syllabus, released last fall  (which would be 2017 - RS), covers what Cub and Webelos Scout leaders need to know. And it does so in a single 30-hour weekend — all day Saturday and Sunday morning, for example."

13 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I think someone just screwed up and left it off the list. In Florida ya gotta have water. The boys are proud of the first canteen or water bottle. Even the Tigers.

The idea presented wasn't that the boys shouldn't drink water, but that they must not carry their own water.  

34 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

If weight is a problem here is the solution we teach all our newbie backpackers*

*may be considered hazing.

Dehydrated Water.jpg

I prefer the brand that has to boiled (and thus purified) prior to use.  Sort of kills two birds with one stone; lightweight and convenient and also safe to drink.

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

The idea presented wasn't that the boys shouldn't drink water, but that they must not carry their own water.  

That is silly. Maybe not ALL their water but are they thinking something magical happens when they crossover to Scouting? Maybe they should see Tents but not sleep in them.

Even the young ones need to start getting trained. We have all read of a lost cub scout or webelo who has had to make it overnight or two. I got a problem with the reasoning behind this one. Lucky we got some smart girls coming down the line to point this out. 

6 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

That is silly. Maybe not ALL their water but are they thinking something magical happens when they crossover to Scouting? Maybe they should see Tents but not sleep in them.

Even the young ones need to start getting trained. We have all read of a lost cub scout or webelo who has had to make it overnight or two. I got a problem with the reasoning behind this one. Lucky we got some smart girls coming down the line to point this out. 

lost cub scouts will be a thing of the past, buddy system is going to be 3 deep soon! 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

A part of me keeps hoping to wake up and discover this was all just a big joke. :unsure:

National has made it quite clear doing whatever you want (re: letting girls be part of the pack and giving them advancement under the table) is acceptable to them, so just keep running your program the old way and ignore national, that's pretty much where we're headed.  This is like the splintering of Catholicism after Luther's 95 Theses. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

National has made it quite clear doing whatever you want (re: letting girls be part of the pack and giving them advancement under the table) is acceptable to them,

Where and when has this occurred?

@NJCubScouter

Edited by RememberSchiff
6 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Where and when has this occurred?

@NJCubScouter

Every time I've listened to representatives talking about the decision to bring girls to the program, they've cited that "it's already being done".  Professionals at my town hall meeting said this, the CSE stated it, national reps on leaked youtube vids stated it.