8 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

What I mean is, if I go online right now to take YPT, am I going to find a new, longer presentation or the same-old 30 minute one with the 25 quiz questions?

Ah - yes the new stuff has replaced the old stuff in the training center and from your my.scouting dashboard.

6 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I plan on ignoring it completely until someone tells me I have to do something.  :)

Good plan....They say everyone is required to update by Oct but nothing says what happens if you don't.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Venturing one addresses age related stuff that doesn't match cub scout aged kids and issues to watch for.

I am finding out this process is dragging and dragging.  I noticed on my BeAScout page the option of Boy or Boy/Girl and so when I approached the council about it ( I am a DC) they said they aren't ac

On-line version needs to be scrapped.  Instructions from nice lady at National (after 13 minute wait) began with instruction NOT to select on-line guide  to taking the training as it takes one in a ci

10 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

I suspect you won't be allowed to recharter with your unit(s). 

Our charter is by calendar year... so October probably doesn't mean anything.  On the other hand, when I said I was going to ignore it, I didn't mean for that long.  :)

10 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Our charter is by calendar year... so October probably doesn't mean anything.  

That was my thinking too.  No doubt you could get dropped mid-year but I'd be very surprised if they did.

17 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Our charter is by calendar year... so October probably doesn't mean anything.  On the other hand, when I said I was going to ignore it, I didn't mean for that long.  :)

5 minutes ago, jjlash said:

That was my thinking too.  No doubt you could get dropped mid-year but I'd be very surprised if they did.

No you won't get dropped mid-year, but many of our local units being prepping for recharter in October so that we can wrap up paperwork in November. We don't like to ruin our holidays with paperwork and process. I just assumed all units got stuff done in October or early November just to avoid the hassle.

At any rate. Maybe BSA picked October to allow a few months for stragglers before they get heavy-handed at said, no cert no recharter.

My question is...

Why did I not have to take a specialized YPT or venturing YPT if I had worked at a CS Day Camp with female campers and staff?

If they are already "mixing" boys and girls, why do they have to do something about it now?

1 minute ago, ItsBrian said:

My question is...

Why did I not have to take a specialized YPT or venturing YPT if I had worked at a CS Day Camp with female campers and staff?

If they are already "mixing" boys and girls, why do they have to do something about it now?

Read the thread about BSA and their love of poor process and paperwork to keep council and district staff busy. ;) 

That's why they do it. Right hand, meet left hand.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jjlash said:

Is what included - the info about group presentations and youth versions?  No.  There was a set of documents that came from the office of the CSE.  Ive put the files on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BXua6tNB3jQ1h8f30SOgRQvltjnmu1KK?usp=sharing

Oh Yeah - the kicker that I forgot to mention.  From the document:

I would encourage everyone to not jump the gun.  As council training chair I am getting my folks up to speed first so that when we start promoting it to the unit leaders we can answer any questions they have.  Please give your training folks time to get ahead of this so they can support you.

How did you come across all that information if you don't mind me asking? No one in my council,  not even the professional staff, have received anything like that

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, carebear3895 said:

How did you come across all that information if you don't mind me asking? No one in my council,  not even the professional staff, have received anything like that

My field director sent it to me on Thursday evening.  The quoted email chain shows that it came direct from the office of the CSE to my SE then distribute within our council.

25 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

I just got tapped to lead a discussion about this at our round table this week.  That info is super useful.  Any other high level info that would be good to pass along to our district leaders?

One of the documents says that the power point is intended for use at round table.  It is pretty good but has no presenter notes as I recall.  I dont have any other info at this time - I'll share if I get anything.

25 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

@jjlash How long is the new YPT training?  The old one was only about 25 minutes.

Last weekend it was close to 2 hours - there were some performance problems.  National is aware and are working to resolve them.  It is supposed to take about 1 hour.  The bigger difference is that you can't just let the video run and answer questions once in a while.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jjlash said:

One of the documents says that the power point is intended for use at round table.  It is pretty good but has no presenter notes as I recall.  I dont have any other info at this time - I'll share if I get anything.

Thanks

I saw those performance problems too.  It was pretty slow.  Took me about 90 minutes.

I thought it was a very good improvement over the old materials.  It was much more matter of fact and focused on the problems at hand.  It really felt like the authors were saying - "we're taking this seriously".

• Upvote 1