Will Camporall replace Camporee?

Good-bye Camporee?

The University at Buffalo will host 800 Boy Scouts June 9 and 10 at a “Camporall†organized to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The 2017 STEM Camporall brings together scouts of all ages and rank – Brownies to Explorers – from the Boy Scouts of America’s Greater Niagara Frontier Council and the Girls Scouts of Western New York.

It will feature a midway where about 50 organizations will set up displays, and more than three dozen STEM-related activities in UB’s engineering labs. The activities, which are designed to engage scouts with fun STEM exercises, focus on clean water, outer space and the internet of things.

Highlights include: scouts talking live at 12:08 p.m. June 10 to a cosmonaut aboard the International Space Station; a demonstration of how bottle rockets work, including launching them 100 feet into the air; and learning the basics of 3-D printing and robotics.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/08/scouting-camporall-ub-promote-science-technology/

The 13 page 2017 STEM Camporall Program Guide

http://www.wnyscouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Program-Guide-2017-STEM-Camporall-v6.pdf

At the NER4VOA meeting, an new venturing adult commish invited us to this. He was quite exited about it.

He called it a camporee.

Gotta admit it sounded like fun.

I think "camporee" vs. "camporall" is just a matter of local usage.  I remember my father talking about "camporalls" in reference to the troop he was SM of before I was old enough to join the Cub Scouts, so that was more than 50 years ago.

Last Frontier Council in central Oklahoma had been doing something like that called Scout'o'rma since at least the 60s, maybe longer. It may have gone every other year, I don't remember. But they would give a theme for the units to develop a scouting based activity around. Ironically, our troop did a demonstration of the Scouting Information resources from the Internet in 1997. One of our brainiac scouts set up several computers so we could help Scouts and Scouters surf the Web for scouting sources. Scouter.com was one of our lead sites. The Council hasn't done it in several years, but I think I heard they are trying to bring it back.

Barry

• Upvote 1

I had not seen these 3 characteristics together before:

all Boy and Girl Scouts, any age

STEM focused

partnered and located at a University

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

I had not seen these 3 characteristics together before:

all Boy and Girl Scouts, any age

STEM focused

partnered and located at a University

Do this at Berkeley and the camp fires would blend in with the burning cars. :)  (Sorry, tasteless, but...)

I could see it being a fun change, once every few years. Cardboard canoes are also a lot of fun.

• Upvote 2

The event described in the original post is not what I have ever heard described as a "camporall".  As I said before, to my knowledge "camporall" is just another word for "camporee", which means (to me) a district-wide or council-wide camping event, sometimes with skills instruction and sometimes with skill competitions.  I remember one with a trebuchet-building contest.

Eagledad mentioned "Scout-o-Rama", this is more like that because of the "show" aspect and the fact that outside people are providing the activities for the Scouts to participate in.  Or maybe in this case its more of a "STEM-o-Rama".

P.S. Somewhere in my memorabilia collection is a neckerchief slide from a "Scout-Air-Rama" from about 1970, the "Air" was because it was held at Newark Airport.  I know I was there, but I don't remember any details.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Our Council holds an annual Camporee in the Springtime, then a Camporall in the Fall. The only difference is that Webelos Scouts are specifically invited to camp along for one of the nights, and there are a few extra activities and presentations held with them in mind for the day they are there. In that sense I suppose Camporall is meant to sound a little more inclusive; otherwise they are really just two different names for the same basic program.

Of course, our Council also holds an annual Scout-a-Rama, which is basically a Scouting Expo for the community at Large, along with other District-level annual events too. Now that I see what goes on in other areas, I realize the Council here does a LOT of activities!

Edited by The Latin Scot

In my day, Districts held individual Camporees.  When all districts camped together, it was a Camporall.  When they got to be over 1200 campers, they were too unwieldy and discontinued.  Scout O Ramas and "Scout Shows" are also a thing of the past.

WHatever they call this STEM event, it sounds like fun.  As long as it doesn't replace actual "camping'.

P.S. Somewhere in my memorabilia collection is a neckerchief slide from a "Scout-Air-Rama" from about 1970, the "Air" was because it was held at Newark Airport.  I know I was there, but I don't remember any details.

Funny you mention this.  I was looking at my old patch vest recently.  There are camporees 40 something years ago that I clearly remember:  meals, conversations, mishaps, jokes, events, etc.   Then there are a couple that I can't recall a single detail.