News from National Meeting?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An important word jumped out on that National slide:  FAMILY.   That's the key.   When I was in a small rural district several years ago, events often included the whole family.   The boys did the

Confirming @ post. This is what a good friend posted to the 2017 Jamboree Foxtrot Base Camp group.   "PLEASE READ CAREFULLY At the Boy Scout National Board Meeting, that just concluded this week, t

Who sets the agenda and controls the information flow also has a tremendous impact on the outcome(s).   I, for one, would like to see some attention to improving the quality of the current program f

An app?  Whatever happened to posting on web sites, like in the good old days?     :)

And now that I look at the page that advertises the app, I am not sure how much "news" it would give you anyway.  It seems to be geared toward people attending the meeting, including schedules, materials distributed at breakout sessions, etc.

I did a quick Google search for news from the meeting but all I found was pre-meeting information.

I am woefully behind the times in using Facebook (with my 6 or 7 "friends") so I don't know where to look for anything on there.

Edited by NJCubScouter

My question: what do you need to know now that will change what you're doing if you don't hear it until June?

First of all, what happens in June?

Second of all, I don't think there's a "need", there's just natural human curiosity, which affects all of us in different ways.  Most potential "news" I can certainly wait on until it filters down through the channels, if it ever does.  But I seem to recall a speech at the annual meeting 2 years ago (and a subsequent actual policy change) that made quite a bit of news, not to mention that it turned this entire forum upside-down for a few months, with residual effects even today (in my opinion.)  There is only one possible announcement that I can think of that is even remotely possible, that could match or exceed what happened 2 years ago.  I won't say what it is, because I don't want to have to send this thread to Issues and Politics, but I think you know what it is.

• Upvote 1

The sky is falling; the sky is falling!!  Please, tell me what might happen, or is going to change the universe of Scouting.  Oh, then I can scream "The sky is falling".  

Whatever happens, find a way to deal and keep the main focus in mind.  You know, the youth.

• Upvote 1

Confirming @ post. This is what a good friend posted to the 2017 Jamboree Foxtrot Base Camp group.

"PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

At the Boy Scout National Board Meeting, that just concluded this week, the Chief Scout Executive, Michael Surbaugh, requested that a Task Force be established to study the feasibility of allowing girls to join both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. This would be a shocking reversal from our established tradition but would better reflect today’s society.

To repeat, this would only be a study to see the feasibility of girls being integrated into the Boy Scouts.

One possible scenario would be:

The Charter Organization, (the sponsoring organization) could choose how they would like to organize their unit.

Cub Scouts:
- a Boy’s only Cub Scout Pack
- a Girl’s only Cub Scout Pack
- a coed Pack with Boy’s Dens (a smaller unit of 4~ 10) and Girl’s Dens

Boy Scouts
- a separate organization that is structured like the Boy Scouts for girls
- a Troop that would have a Patrol (a small unit of 4 ~ 10) for girls and other patrols for boys. All Patrols in the Troop would participate in the same activities.

The Experers, Ventures, Sea Scouts and STEM Scouts could continue to be coed.

- This would allow Organizations to identify the options that work best for their communities
- Allows flexibility for Chartered Partners
- Allows us to introduce Scouting to more families
- Allows boys and girls to learn and grow at the pace that is unique to their development

Again, this is in the very early stages, the question on the table is, “Should be consider having girls join Boy Scouts, of should we not?â€

Personally, I am enthusiastic in favor of opening the fun, leadership opportunities, and adventure of Boy Scouts to girls just like all the other scouting organization around the world."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ugh. I hope this doesn't happen.

Scot,

By way of context, Foxtrot Base Camp is devoted to the Venturer's division of Jambo.

Some in venturing have been pushing this vision for decades. These were the same who brought Venturers to the Jamboree as their own camp in the first place.

So, the oblique statements of a CSE find resonance in this particular echo chamber.