Alternative to Fundraising.

True story. I know a leader who, fed up with lack of support for any fundraising, turned round and said to the parents, you have a choice, join in, or we put the fees up by £30 ($45 ish) a year, or maybe more, and scrap fundraising. They unanimously voted to be chequebook parents. In a way, the leader was deeply saddened at the parents missing the point somewhat, then he thought about all the spare time he'd just made to go do his own hobbies...

For many years, I've been more than happy to write a check to avoid peddling stale/overpriced candy/popcorn/cookies, smelly candles and other junk that no one really wants.

If they need help setting up the school carnival, hauling gear for the troop, or serving as a timer at the swim meet, sure, no problem.   Selling stuff?   No.  I will not impose on family, coworkers and neighbors to buy rubbish to support my kid.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

An organization around here holds a "virtual"  Mother's Day Tea ".  Around May 1st, they send out a letter with a tea bag attached, asking folks to make a cup of tea, consider all the things Mom did for them ("M is for the many things ...)  , and send in a donation in honor of their mother.

• Upvote 1

True, I have always felt uncomfortable about selling overpriced goods to raise money.  Almost like saying, here, buy this $2 box of popcorn, and throw in a $13 donation.

But they don't mind. Instead of feeling guilty, consider instead that you are providing them a wonderful opportunity to show their support and respect. Now that all my kids are married, I like to give. I like to see the smiles on the scouts' faces. It's fun.

Last year my wife came home to $70 worth of cookies and knew what had just happened. A cute little thing too shy to really say anything knocked on my door on one very cooled day. While she was trying to sputter a few words, I look up at mom who was standing (freezing) in the street with a red wagon full of cookies. I told the little girl to give me five boxes of everything. I don't know who was happier, mom or her daughter. I once bought $40 worth of popcorn from a scout and told him to keep it to make another $40. I WANT TO GIVE, I just need an excuse and someone to knock on my door!

Now, does fund raising build character? When we first started our troop, we had no equipment, so the first couple years of scouts spent a lot of time fun raising. Without going into the details, the PLC a few years later wanted the troop to do more fundraisers because it had become obvious that scouts who did't earn the funds for the equipment they were using didn't have the same respect for the care of it. Sometimes fundraising isn't about the money.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

love it @@Stosh!

and I agree with you @@desertrat77

I understand the idea of expanding the boys', approaching people, selling, hard work, and all of that

but I'm not convinced it really works.

The boys that are not shy sell.  Some of them sell big

The shy kids will still be shy, even after they are tortured by being made to knock on doors.  They will be no more likely to want to sell more, no more likely to come out of their shell.... well maybe 1 out of 100 will, but that's all just theoretical...

How do I know?  I was that shy kid being forced to sell decorative candles, candy, and other stuff I knew that nobody wanted... torture.  i hated it.  In fact it was one reason I wasn't so gung ho about participating in scouts and such!

I eventually came out of my shell, but it had nothing to do with those fundraisers.

There are other ways to do fundraising, of course, besides selling popcorn. Scouts could offer to do work for a local organization or have a pancake breakfast or spaghetti dinner at the location of their meetings.  I think selling is a great skill for boys and in our troop, as I expect in most others, there are the "Show and Sell" opportunities in front of grocery markets, home improvement centers, etc.  Since that's a group effort, that makes it more fun for the shy Scouts.  But, yes, for many of our parents, myself included,  have come to realize that in some situations it's going to be more efficient to make the donation.  I was the adult coordinator in charge of the spaghetti dinner fundraiser last spring and in the end, donated over $250 in supplies and groceries, in order to make the fundraiser more successful.  Was happy to do it but that wasn't really the point although it did raise the troop's visibility at the church where our troop meets.

For many years, I've been more than happy to write a check to avoid peddling stale/overpriced candy/popcorn/cookies, smelly candles and other junk that no one really wants.

If they need help setting up the school carnival, hauling gear for the troop, or serving as a timer at the swim meet, sure, no problem.   Selling stuff?   No.  I will not impose on family, coworkers and neighbors to buy rubbish to support my kid.

I agree completely. Plus the boys know that what they're 'selling' is way overpriced and this kind of activity sets an example of unreasonable expectation.

• Upvote 1

Another point to consider:  fundraising of yesteryear is not the same as today.

As a scout, I might sell scout-o-rama tickets (wow I feel old typing that) or candy bars for camp.   One troop, we sold trees at Christmas.    Brief periods of hard work, but nothing too strenuous. 

In years past, there were fundraisers by various groups and teams, but nothing what we see today.

Today:  be it scouting, sports, PTA, band, etc., the peddling is year-round.   Even if isn't year-round for the youth selling the items, it sure seems like a continual drip/drip/drip to the friends and neighbors that are pressed to buy this stuff.   It gets very old.   Expensive.   And most of dollars go to a middle man.

Edited by desertrat77

How do I know?  I was that shy kid being forced to sell decorative candles, candy, and other stuff I knew that nobody wanted... torture.  i hated it. 

Blw2, you just described me as a scout!   I pressed forward and achieved the bare minimum (the sales patch for the scoutorama, the BSA first aid kit, etc) just to do my part, but I did not like peddling.   Like you, I knew people didn't want to buy.   Truly it was painful.   I was always relieved when the sales campaign was over.   I liked scouting, but not the fundraising.

To go to Philmont as a scout, we didn't have any fundraisers.   It was up to each scout.  I gladly mowed lawns.   Useful, meaningful work, and easy to make the pitch.

On the other hand, I didn't mind selling Christmas trees as a scout.   Our troop raised enough money in three weeks to last the whole year.   People who drove up to the lot wanted buy a tree, and it was a friendly environment.   Not like knocking on a stranger's door and making a sales pitch.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

I think this year I am going to get my Webelos to raise there own money to go on a high adventure camping trip buy doing a pink flamingos fundraiser.  My big issue with fund raisers is the low profit margin. 

if you want more info on a pink flamingos fundraiser please follow this link http://www.flamingofundraising.com/

The pink flamingos fundraiser is an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would get council approval though (I guess you can argue it is selling a service). Do you know anyone that has done it?

I think this year I am going to get my Webelos to raise there own money to go on a high adventure camping trip buy doing a pink flamingos fundraiser.  My big issue with fund raisers is the low profit margin. 

if you want more info on a pink flamingos fundraiser please follow this link http://www.flamingofundraising.com/

What do you do with them once you sell them? I guess I don't understand what they are for. Is this a regional thing?

My first reaction was to say, "what the flock?".

the fun part about the pink flamingo fundraiser is the following

you sell people insurance so that flamingos do not end up on there lawn

you sell people the right to pick whose lawn the flamingos spend 24 hours 

you sell the person the right who got flocked to name whose next

you keep the flamingo's for next year they do not eat much

two flocks of flamingos cost $224 you can sell the insurance for 20 or 10 and the flocking for 20 or 10

you are proving a service because you are playing a piratical joke on somebody friend

when sombody gets flocked you put a really big sing in there yard that says they have been flocked by your org

and my nephew did this to raise money for a trip he was taking with just him and his dad they made around 3000.00 in a month

so guys think about it how many people do you know who would love to have pink flamingos on there front lawn send me 20.00 and there address and I will make sure it works