Recruitment in Public Schools?

Every school district is different. Ours will allow us to produce flyers with the note at the bottom that the program is independent of the school district. They sometimes will make copies and circulate them as well and put them on the "community" page of their website. The principal may arrange time for an assembly or let you set up a table at the end of the school day, or the PTA may ask for you to come to one of their family nights.

The school principal and superintendent would probably love to hear from you. Let your DE know your plans. He/she might have promotional materials all ready to go.

We have our schools broke up in the following

1stgade (OWN School)

2-3 Own School

3-4 Own School

5-6 own school

SO It takes a little managing but we get them all covered - ROOM to room execpt 2-3. The have a morning tv programming and we record a video

Every school is different. Where I live there are two public elementary schools 2 miles apart.

School 'A' hosts Girl Scouts but has only allowed one recruiting event in the last 5 years. The principal is very hostile to Cub and Boy Scouts and will not allow any meetings on campus.

School B had a 20 year history of allowing handouts recruiting time, uniform day, pack meetings, and other space as needed. This pack has 100+ cubs.

I think one factor is, at least in Florida, an Elementary School Principal has a large degree of independent power. Another factor is parent support. School 'B' had a very active PTA which funded a lot of supplemental school needs. The Pack made sure that a liberal number of Scouter and Scouter parents were active in the PTA. In addition the Pack made a big show of helping out at can drives, school beautification day, etc. They also were good at generating good PR -- a cub scout makes for a cute picture on beautification day.

Oh course it always helps if the school principal had a positive scouting experience as a child.

My suggestion would be to go to the school during lunch. Have flyers inviting boys to an attractive activity, and list your upcoming camping trips and activities.

I usually find that the most effective strategy is to look for boys as individuals rather than in groups, and to ask boys if they are interested in hiking and camping. Pitch those boys hard! If boys will give you their name aand phone number, I'd keep inviting them top meetings and activities until you are sure they aren't interested.

And the best time to do this by far is in the spring, when your spring and summer activities are on the horizon.

Recruiting new Boy Scouts outside of Cub Scouts is tough.

A lot depends on the school. There is a local public elementry school (it's almost accross the street from our CO) that we have tried to recruit from for years, but only recently have we gotten permission to do so. We were able to get an announcement in the school newsletter, flyers distributed to parents and to hold a recruitment meeting on campus.

In my area, Cub Scout Packs are based primarily (but not exclusively) at public elementary schools. This does not mean we don't face hostile individuals who do not like Scouting due to the leadership standards, but the schools are kind of stuck: if they are going to discriminate against Scouting, they will have to charge extra to or kick out all extra-curricular groups. I've been involved in the District with regard to recruitment events at schools that host Packs - and those that don't - to try and start them or funnel kids to other schools for Cub Scouts.

Boy Scouts, as noted above, is a different animal. It is hard to get in to events where 5th grade boys can be contacted - however, I will tell you that we try and use any event at the school that will be attended by parents and kids to promote Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Back-to-School night, carnivals, etc - anything where the entire school/parents are invited. Most schools have no problem with our having a display table.

I would like to have an actual event at one of our local elementary schools for the 5th grade boys later this spring. We just picked up a kid from there who was not in Cub Scouts and I want to try and use that to get an event. Somebody posted a good 5th grade boy event featuring wood smoke and a campsite, which I really thought could be effective on another thread quite a while ago.

Find the person within your Council who has contact with the School District who produces flyers. They may have the inside scoop as to the rules. Follow those rules. Once you have those, contact the School Secretary and introduce yourself. Talk to the Principal. It's easier if they are an Eagle Scout or have family/sons who are.

All good ideas. If you choose to copy a home designed flyer at a professional shop, ASK for a Scout discount. My local shop knocks 20% off their usual price. Ask your DE (go to Round Table to meet him? ) and see what the Council has in colorful photo type, paste in your info posters. He should be able to create and print'em up free. DO NOT waste them by putting 500 on the "Info Table" of one school. Put out a reasonable number, maybe 25 at each school, but pursue the "take home backpack" possibility. Learn and meet their requirements.

Hey, where is Kudu? His website has some really good ideas for recruiting: http://www.inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

If your school has a morning meeting, take a box or 2 of donuts with your contact info and some Scout info on them. See if you can talk to the teachers/principal and let them know what you are all about. Everyone loves donuts and might give you the time of day if you give them some sugary goodness.

Ask if you can put up a display at lunch time in the cafeteria area. If they'll let you, set up a table with a display of pics taken at different outdoor events that show the fun stuff your troop does. Maybe see if your council office has some freebies to leave on the table like pens/pencils, neck lanyards, and etc. Get or make some flyers with your meeting date/time and place and leave a few on the table. Walk around the area and see if you can see anyone that might enjoy Scouts and just talk. Some kids will talk, others will laugh at you just be prepared for it.

Some kids just may need a little info to get them the push they need to sign up. Have a prospect night where your other Scouts can show some meritbadge stuff and maybe a small cookout.

Might work, might not. That's some of the stuff I did as a military recruiter during HS visits.