NYLT strip?

One of my venturers recently went to NYLT. From this program he received the large patch, but he also received another patch that is very similar to a trained strip. Is this patch worn in the same manner? I haven't seen it worn by any other NYLT graduates.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some I like, others not so much. But to point @The Latin Scot is making, if we allow everyone their own little "change" to things then you really don't have a "uniform" uniform, do we? I could ge

"Junior Leader Training," in the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s was a week-long outdoor leadership and Scoutcraft course based on a B.S.A. syllabus and offered by council, perhaps through a distric

Just get a jac-shirt and put anything you want on it.

Posted Images

Oh, I remember that thread. Bead-envy, it's a nasty business.

Back to the insignia issue. I might take back my glib statement about sewing it on the sleeve. Here's a diagram that puts the Brownsea strip below the unit numbers and above the position patch: http://www.scoutinsignia.com/brownsea.htm

So, if the venture has both this and a Trained patch for his/her specific position, this is a way to present both. The insignia guide says nothing about it. So it's up to you to determine if wearing both patches is reasonably in compliance with current uniforming standards.

... E94' date=' confused. Youth take WB, they get beads. Do you have youth staffing WB?[/quote']

I do not know about the 3rd version of WB before 2008, but the course has had youth staff from 2008 to date. They are only involved for a couple of hours and I am not sure what recognition they get.

NYLT staff in the courses I have worked receive a distinctive neckerchief and distinctive T-shirts. Last course I worked, youth staff got a Staff hoodie, a staff pocket knife, and a staff flashlight. They were also recognized on the Council website and in the Council newsletter.

Thanks, E94. So, I think my bottom line is we wouldn't replace the "Trained" strip (for venturers that would be ILSC) with the NYLT strip. Somehow, the we'd try to fit both on the sleeve ... the NYLT strip taking the place of the brownsea strip, which according to you would be above the unit #s, and all other patches being moved down.

However, since the NYLT strip (if it's the one that E441) referenced does look so much like a trained strip, I think putting it underneath the ILSC would be acceptable.

But again, the venturer might be running out of "real-estate" on the sleeve. In which case, I'd opt for neat appearance and swap out the ILSC.

So, C2116, your youth has options. Let us know what he chooses.

(P.S. - Readers in internet land, please, nobody go to national crying for a definitive ruling on this. :p)

I rold him that he could keep his VLSC strip or use the NYLT strip. He's going to choose the NYLT strip because he believes it's more prestigious (no arguments here). Thank you all for the feedback, it's much appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Speaking of NYLT youth recognition, an Eagle candidate in my troop attended NYLT fairly recently here in Michigan's Southern Shores FSC and was given 3 pieces of cord. 2 are red, one is blue. I gather that one red and the blue indicate the NYLT colors, the third, I was told indicates the "patrol" he was in. Each patrol was given a different color. He was told they had to braid them into a shoulder loop, similar to the den chief cords (but braided) and were to be worn in the same fashion. Is this done elsewhere? If so, how does he go about braiding them (is there a specific way?) and is it truly required for "Class A" uniform? He was told he is to be in full uniform for his EBOR(and rightly so), and I think he and his mom are being made to believe this is part of the uniform. What say you?