2 Questions - Opinion Desired

After I introduce myself I have two questions that I would like answered by the forum.

I am an 18 year old Eagle Scout with 3 palms. I spent more than 2 years as a Patrol Leader, a year as SPL, and a year as a JASM. I am currently registered as an Assistant Scoutmaster, and accompanied a contingent troop to the 2010 Scout Jamboree as an adult leader. I've been a crew leader at Philmont, I've been the leader of our high adventure patrol, and I've been to two Jamborees and a NOAC. I've always respected my superior leaders, I've always thought with morals in mind. I graduated at the top of my class and was a member of three honor societies. Parents accompanying new scouts to meetings have remarked how friendly and great of a role model I am to the young scouts, and it was my quickness in getting Eagle that inspired my peer friends to stick with scouting through Eagle and beyond.

Question 1: Am I a good, moral, well-mannered role model for other scouts?

In addition to my scouting pursuits, I am openly gay and have been an atheist since the age of 13.

Question 2: Am I a good, moral, well-mannered role model for other scouts?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based upon the information provided:

Answer 1: Yes.

Answer 2: No.

Since you are an Eagle Scout, I assume that you are Reverent. IMHO, it is possible for someone to be an atheist and still be reverent. I am reverent toward beliefs that I do not hold myself, and I assume you are the same. I am curious, though, as to how you reconcile it when you raise your right hand and say that you'll do your duty to God and country. I actually have an open mind on that subject, and that is a serious question.

I do have an objection to an 18 year old leader being "openly gay". I would have a similar objection to someone being "openly straight". IMHO, "openly gay" (or "openly straight") means that you are sexually attracted to certain persons, and you are open to making that fact public.

IMHO, an 18 year old adult leader should not be "openly" making such assertions. Also, I don't believe that an unmarried 18 year old adult leader should be involved in a sexual relationship with anyone, if that's what you mean by "openly".

I realize my opinion is probably politically incorrect, and I also realize that my opinion probably differs somewhat from the official BSA position. But you asked the question, and you deserve an honest answer.

Welcome..

Well you will get no complaints from me, but others on the forum will beg to differ, between those bent on the rules not being bent and those that are in full agreement of the rules..

That being said, I know my husband (who is the Advancement chair) would not have awarded you the Eagle, had you been open about it during your ECOH.. He would be kicking himself and feeling all kinds of bad for doing so, but in that position he would have been forced to follow the rules..

So I am curious to how long you have been openly gay/athiest, and what your unit leaders & district is saying about it..

I know some units let it ride, then the district/council gets wind of it and forces the unit to remove them.

(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

I am going to agree with Clemlaw, it would depend on the definition of "openly gay" if it meansw you are gay and do not deny it then the answer would be different from you are gay and telling everyone at every chance that you are.

Personally I don't care what anyone on this forum does in his/her bedroom or with whom. I do care if it does become a distraction regardless of orientation.

With regards to the questions Do you live the scout oath and law? If yes then yes. If no, then the answer is no.

Just know that this differs from official policy and don't be upset when you are asked to leave an orginization that you obviously love for violating rules that you are openly defying.

As an adult, you subscribe to the Scout Law every bit as much as a youth member. It's a proactive and descriptive, not reactive and prescriptive.

A Scout is Reverent.

If you cannot honor that point of the Scout Law, you do not belong as a registered volunteer in the Boy Scouts of America.

That's my opinion. Godspeed to you, may He show you that He exists and loves you.

This is a troll.

In my line of work, I've had to collaborate with a large number of people whose disposition is to use the words, "Boy Scout," as an insult, not a compliment. This is exactly the the sort of nonsensical hypothetical they like to use when they think they're clever and about to trap their opponent in hypocrasy.

BTW: The correct answer to both questions in our hypothetical is, "No." Being an atheist means the hypothetical scout was telling a bald-faced lie every time he took the oath. In short, he practised serial deception and fraud in order to rise through the ranks. He sees no duty to God, is not morally straight (because he's lying - in case you're wondering), and he's not obeying the Scout Law. Under what circumstances would we ever want such a person in scouting?

If you have been an athiest since age 13 you should do the right thing and surrender your Eagle award. If you believed yourself to be gay at any time of your involvement you should have and should do the right thing and walk away. So blunt answer is NO and still NO. A Scout is obiedient! BSA requires a belief in God; yet you profess a disbelief. BSA has a no GAY policy; yet you try to buck the system from within. Obidience tells us to work peacefully to get changes to laws and policys you object to.

No, and No for the reasons given above.

Agnostic perhaps, Yes and No but in the case given, Sorry.

But there's nothing wrong in adopting the relevant parts of the Scout Oath and Law as you relate to others and yourself. In addition, at the risk of feeding the Troll, not a very clever screen name.

Most Eagle Boards these days are looks at the religious activities of Scouts in order to screen out boys trying to skate through with this kind of deception.

So the answer is "No."

The BSA is entitled to have it's own standards about such things and it does.

This is a diverse and multicultural society. In such a society you should expect to find varying opinions on such issues. Indeed, the only way to avoid variety is to use laws to stamp out the multicultural society.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)