NY Times Blogs Online: Obama Quits His Church

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Another resurrection: John-in-KC noted (as have some others, I think) that he would like to see Colin Powell as the Republican candidate. I'm curious as to the response to today's endorsement by Powell of Obama...and his stated reasons for the endorsement.

Pack,

Unlike the fear pundits I read and listen to every day (I'm a political junkie), it was a level headed, logical and reasoned assessment of the two candidates as things stand today. It was refreshing to hear that kind of talk for a change. Powell is one of those people who knows what he is talking about and does not make decisions based on ideology, but truth and fact. Like many others, he will be ostracized by those in his party for speaking truth (as he sees it) to power.

A very clear and reasoned answer to supporting Obama by Colin Powell. It must have been a difficult decision for him to make. It is quite refreshing to hear someone endorse a candidate by articulating so clearly his/her reasons and without having to resort to nasty disparaging comments about the other candidate. Yes, Powell mentioned a few things he didn't like about McCain, especially his recent campaign's methods, but his reasons were thoughtful.

I wonder though if his endorsement will make any difference.

I do have what is probably a stupid question. Just what exactly does truth to power mean?

It means willingness to communicate the most honest, objective truth that you can supply to someone with great power, who probably has extremely strong interest in what you think the truth is.

The highest I've ever done this for is briefing a few Army Generals (1-2 stars) on different occasions. Some people would be tempted to sugar-coat or 'bend' the truth for a variety of reasons, sometimes related to lack of confidence and sometimes self-deception. As a scientist, the greatest temptation is to express it in terms of uncertainty.

Power needs to make hard decisions and power is not helped by deception of any kind, even if the news is bad. Power simply needs to have the best information available.

Edited part: Answer to other question on whether Powell will make a difference - I think he could make a difference in some of the states where Obama has a marginal lead right now.

I think he took a huge step toward trying to rebuild his stature with the public. He is an honorable man.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

• Administrators

Outside the studio, after the endorsement, with even more clarity:

The Republican party radically shifted away from me and its core principles over the past decade, and Powell articulates the same concerns I have about it slouching further toward a dangerously unserious and unAmerican politic.

-- TERRY HOWERTON

Stimmt das.

"Speak truth to power". Pack has part of the meaning. The term must include the idea of telling those 'in power' or who have, in some sense, authority over you the truth as you know it, REGARDLESS of what the authority might want or expect to hear. It means saying to those who can harm you what you know they MUST hear, regardless of the consequences to you.

The concept has a religious basis and the origin of the phrase can be traced to early Jewish writing and the Q'ran. Although there is no record that he actually said the phrase, George Fox is often quoted that he was "moved to speak the truth to them" , referring to whomever he was with, whether mayor or magistrate or Cromwell. It is being "trustworthy",going beyond merely "yes".

SSScout's version of 'truth to power' is indeed a better rendition than mine.

Merlyn, when I went to Scouter_Terry's web site, even I was shocked at the number and intensity of the negative things that had already popped up. When I listened to the voices I realized that metaphorically speaking, and sadly, these were voices I grew up with, and some of whom I still have as neighbors.

I can only hope that allowing them to vent in that manner will perhaps keep them from doing anything more tangible.

• 2 weeks later...

Another aspect of "truth to power" - liberation theology, as in God having a preference for the marginalized, poor, and oppressed and our responsibility as Christians to speak that truth no matter what the consequences. The consequences for it have been lynchings, police actions, bombings, etc., in the south when blacks and associated whites spoke "truth to power." I think (especially given his age) this is probably Colin Powell's context for the remark.

Vicki