NY Times Blogs Online: Obama Quits His Church

Read the whole thing here:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/31/obama-quits-his-church/?hp

Brief Excerpt...

The Caucus: New York Times Politics Blog

May 31, 2008, 6:42 pm

Obama Quits His Church

By Jeff Zeleny

WASHINGTON Senator Barack Obama is ending his membership at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, a congregation he has belonged to for about two decades and one that had become a lightning rod in his Democratic presidential bid.

Mr. Obama informed his campaign advisers of his decision today, according to people familiar with the situation, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak for the candidate. Mr. Obama is scheduled to explain his decision tonight in South Dakota.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AP reportage:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5isOFwdbq0tsqatW6vJpkDRTI1gMgD910V94O0

Obama quits Chicago church after long controversy

By TOM RAUM 46 minutes ago

ABERDEEN, S.D. (AP) Barack Obama said Saturday he has resigned his 20-year membership in the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago "with some sadness" in the aftermath of inflammatory remarks by his longtime pastor the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and more recent fiery remarks at the church by another minister.

"This is not a decision I come to lightly ... and it is one I make with some sadness," he said at a news conference after campaign officials released a letter of resignation sent to the church on Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last time I checked with my Pastor, the first matter of deciding about a church to attend was its faithfulness to God's Word. Whether a pastor, priest, rabbi, or imam, I think all of them would say that's the 600lb criteria, and everything else is second fiddle.

Oh, well, fuel for the political fire...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first. I'm not an Obama or Hillary supporter. That being said, I think it is a crying shame that people likes Sean Hannity chose to attack Obama's choice in churches for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last couple of months. It is also a shame that Obama caved.......which will now be used against gim in today's gotcha politics. Here is the truth of the matter. Each religion or denomination has individual and particular teachings that others will find offensive. I'm 51 and have been a Christian since I was 7. I've been a Southern Baptist all of my life and graduated from a Baptist university and attended a Baptist seminary. I hate to inform you folks, but Jews and Catholics are going to hell as well as those who attend that LDS cult. Perhaps because my church and/or pastor teaches such beliefs, I'm not worthy of running for office. I mean after all, I've never chosen to denounce them to please partisan pundits. Is this really the yard stick we want to measure people by.

Let's see . . . there's the infamous "not saluting the flag incident," his handlers explained that away by saying "sometimes he doesn, sometimes he doesn't"

The comment that his grandmother was like most white people, "a racist."

Basically, he's a big a racist as any member of the KKK.

"None to the extent of Obama."

Puhlease! TheScout, I know you have a firm grasp of history so I suggest you take a careful look at, oh, practically any of our previous presidents (from any party) and consider whether that statement really holds water. I think you may find it does not. I don't care if you like Obama or if you loathe him, but let's work with facts here.

Where is Will Rogers when we really need him? He's morphed into Uncle Jay (Uncle Jay Explains the News).

Lisa, I have to agree. Scoundrels and scallywags abound. I'm not sure of a straight talking President since Harry Truman.

I just find it interesting that Obama cannot hang his hat on a valid Scriptural reason to transfer churches. It's almost as though he's putting Trinity UCC in Matthew 18 church discipline...

Sigh.

BTW, to Gern: If Dr Condoleeza Rice or Secretary/General Colin Powell were on top of either partys' ticket, I'd be voting for them without a seconds hesitation. Rice/Powell, or Powell/Rice, is still my dream combination. It won't happen (another sigh).(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

"I just find it interesting that Obama cannot hang his hat on a valid Scriptural reason to transfer churches."

Why do you need a scriptural reason to change churches? I've changed churches because I didn't like the pews in the first one. Church is as much about community as it is about scripture. If it was only about scripture, you could just sit at home and read. Like any community, if you don't like it one valid option is to move.

I have enough reasons to dislike Obama, changing churches doesn't make the list.

GW,

I was taught there are limited reasons to change churches:

- Relocation. Even Paul did that ;)

- Error in presentation of the Word.

"I don't like Mrs. Smith, I'm leaving" is not one of those reasons.

"I can't stand the heat of worshipping here, I'm leaving" is another "not one of those reasons."