NY Times Blogs Online: Obama Quits His Church

I was taught there are limited reasons to change churches:

A person can leave a church for what ever reason they see fit. They might not like the new pastor or the style of worship or the direction the church is heading or etc.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've read any of the full stories about his leaving the church, you'll learn the main reason he's leaving is because of all of the attention and scrutiny his running for the Presidency has brought to his church by a media that just doesn't have a shred of decency and respect for anyone or anything anymore. He didn't leave the church during the midst of the bogus Wright controversy - he didn't leave it because of the rantings of Pfleger (though there are many people out there who believe that Pfleger was telling the truth as they saw it - albeit with a bit too much theatricality). He's leaving his church of twenty years so that people will leave the church alone and in peace as they should have been doing from the beginning.

Calico

Lisa,

Obama has a lot of baggage, some of it fair some of it not, but it is all baggage. His father is Kenyan, he's African-American, he went to school in Indonesia as a child, he has the long-term association with a church must Americans would frankly say is "out there", the not wearing the flag pin, the not saluting the flag, his wife saying that for the first time she has been proud of America this season. Most of these are rather minor issues, but together they are enough to allow many people to question his character.

No, but Obama chose not to leave because Wright and his successor are across the line from faithfulness to the Word.

The way his resignation letter reads, he resigned to cut his losses.

"I was taught there are limited reasons to change churches:"

Pardon me but that's downright silly. That's a rule created by people who wanted to keep folks from leaving their church. If I have a choice between praying in air conditioned comfort or sweating while praying, I'll go for comfort. Better programs for youth are an excellent reason for changing churches.

Did Christ say we shouldn't change churches?

" why do you even waste any energy justifying why you would never vote for Obama?"

Who's justifying anything? I'm just stating why I don't like Obama.

It has just recently been that I have discovered how churches other than the Cathoic Church operate. The Church that chaters the Troop recently was looking for a new pastor, the old one was kicked upstairs in the organization. The Church put together a Search Committee, poured over resumes and voted on who they would interview and "hire" as a pastor. The COR, a friend of mine told me they wanted to get a good fit between the pastor and the church. I was aghast, in the catholic church you get who the bishop sends and thank him very much.

It never occurred to me to find a pastor, or a church that fit my own philosophies, I see religion and churches mission to shape moral philosophies. I think its safe to say all Christians use the bible as the foundation, so if we use the same rule book, how different can the philosophies be? The Ten Commandments are the ten commandments and the two greatest commandments are the same. To change churches to find a more pleasing philosophy has got to the definition of moral relativism

Then again, as a roman catholic of 55 years, what else would you expect me to say?

" I think its safe to say all Christians use the bible as the foundation, so if we use the same rule book, how different can the philosophies be?"

Even in the RC church different priests can have different spins on things. One might emphasize youth programs and the next might be big on improving the choir.

Look how many different interpretations of Scouting there are in BSA and all are supposed to be using the same book. The same is true of religion. If that wasn't the case, we'd all belong to the Orthodox Church.

Wow, this is like, "Forest Gump chooses a church". It's like a box of chocolates...wait, I like the ice cream metaphor. You open the big freezer in the grocery and choose a pint of Pentecostal...no had that last month...the Assoc. Ref. Presbyterians....but wait, there's a box of wonderful Kosher pistachio...yep, that's the one...now where's that Mohel?

C'mon, everyone knows he's secretly Islamic, right? I mean, I get so many emails that reveal this and many other sinister facts. Must be something to it.

Seems like Obama isn't alone in America...

"Faith is fluid: 44% say they're no longer tied to the religious or secular upbringing of their childhood. They've changed religions or denominations, adopted a faith for the first time or abandoned any affiliation altogether."

Full Story..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-02-25-survey_N.htm?csp=34

Part of that might be because we have too many other things to do on Sundays. Long ago, Sundays were reserved for going to meetin' and having dinner at Grandma's. Maybe a picnic or the movies.

Now everything happens on Sunday. Basketball, baseball, soccer. Super duper sales (remember when most stores were closed on Sunday?).

How can you go to church when you get out at 11:45 and Johnny's game is at noon?