• 15 replies
    • 2.1k views
  7. Webelos Menu 1 2

• 15 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 8 replies
    • 1.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• Actually there is a form in the project workbook. Eagle_Scout_Service_Project_Fundraising_Application.pdf
    • If your ASM thinks there should be a form ask him to show it to you.  But unless your council has something weird there isn’t one.    As you said, have your son answer the question on form F: “Mr. Smith has generously agreed to donate all the costs necessary for this project.”  If he wants to elaborate a bit he can add some thing like, “because Mr. Smith is a supporter of both Scouting and the community organization this project benefits.” As a guess, I would guess ASM is sort of waving at some IRS rule about donations over $500, but that’s not for the scout to worry about, that’s between Smith and the beneficiary org, because that’s who he is actually donating to.  
    • Hey all.  I got a tough one here. and this one's personal.  My son has his project proposal next week and I have a MC, ASM and myself as Dad and son getting conflicting information regarding private monetary donations for his eagle project.  The kid is building a deck and the whole thing is being funded by a private donation from one of our unit members who is also a parent who is also a friend of the family.  Total is just under $900.  The problem is that I have an ASM that has sat on our district eagle board telling me that because it's over $500 my son needs to fill out a form.  It's not a fundraiser and he's not fundraising, so what form is he referring to.  The donor is not donating materials, supplies, etc.  He's donating cash.   My other ASM is telling us that donations only need to be documented on page F of the workbook.  Please help !  He's taking on this grand project cause he goes big and as his ASM I'm incredibly proud and as his father I think he's out of his dang mind.  LOL   But it's his project.  But this donor vs fundraiser vs form vs workbook nonsense is driving us all crazy and I don't want him to get rejected by the eagle board.  Thank you as always !
    • And there is a place that makes summer camp badges difficult at times.  Going through dozens of signed blue cards from camp, how many of us will have a serious talk with each scout about what he learned or did?  Hard to selectively judge unless something rings an alarm, like hearing from the counselor that the youth was not going, or not participating.  Of course then, the card also should never be signed as completed if that were the case.  We want to trust the youth, and hopefully will find few times to seriously challenge some things.  Fine lines and balance much of the time.  I am reminded of the great book by Cochraan, Be Prepared.  The SM in the story has taken over a troubled troop where much has been let slide.  He has two youth that are Eagles, and he has concerns about them based on observations of their skills and so on.  So, when he suspects they may not really be swimmers due to indictions they avoid the water and make excuses, he takes them in a row boat to the middle of the lake.  It is only a few hundred yards from shore which for someone with the swimming and life saving badges should not be an issue to swim back.  So, he tells them he wants them to swim back to shore and they refuse and admit they are pretty much unable to swim.  He challenges them as to how then they could be Eagles.  More discussion and he finally rows them all back.  He informs them that he is distressed by their obvious issues, especially as he needs them as leaders.  So, he suggests that they give him back their Eagles untilcan validate they deserve them.  I know, not allowed or realistic, but it is a story.  The book is really fun and also encouraging.  Ultimately, one boy's father challenges the issue and threatens the SM, while the other youth's parent acknowledges an issue.  And one boy does prove himself and is again given his Eagle.  The other drops out and has other issues as well.  Idealistic, but also makes us think.
    • Well, the  parents would be right. The average kid is far safer from sexual abuse in sports than the average kid in scouting. Sexual abuse of children is a society wide problem in any setting where adults have access to kids, but a kid on a soccer field for two hours in public view is far safer than a kid on a campground overnight in a remote location with unrelated adults. Studies like this highlight our problems with CSA but have little bearing on BSA's experiences and track record with it. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)