When is it just TOO much?

This past year was pretty exciting to me because the Cubs and their families really liked the items planned for the pack. Everything that was done came as a combination of two things: training and listening to what the Cubs wanted to do.

Now, we found out that many of the Cubs love service projects. In 3 months, the families (usually 3-4 Cub & sibling/parent combinations), recorded 80 hours of service time for Good Turn For America in just under 3 months. For a small pack, that's pretty decent IMO. This was spring.

Heading into summer, we knew having summer activities would be a challenge, and we knew that some boys felt left out last year because they couldn't come to some events. We came up with a list of things that families could do with flexibility and that were consistent with what Cubs is all about: BSA Family Award, Presidents Challenge, Operation Pocket Change. Though there is enthusiasm about all items mentioned (which gets them put on the official "pack project list"), very few take part in any of these.

I can see that we may be doing too much. I can see that those who felt left out still didn't take part in programs that were very flexible and would keep them included. I am too close to this to be objective. When does a unit reach the "too much to do/choose from" point? The committee is in favor of all this and more with the exception of my husband who feels too many choices leads to confusion. The choices came about because of interests expressed by the pack families. So I see both sides of this.

Your thoughts?

Laurie,

I am a cubmaster here in Texas and my opinion is that as long as the program stays fun and you have boys attending there can never be too much. I plan a full year and have the same problem. I have the few boys and families that are there for everything we do, but the rest seem to show up here and there.

I feel that as long as the rest are showing up here and there, I will continue to plan events.

CMF

Laurie,

In the pack I used to Chair and ACM, we planned a healthy plate, but did not overload it.

June: District Day Camp. Traditionally, our professional (our most junior DE), Director, and PD, do a good job of making sure each event supports a W-B-W1-W2 advancement activity.

July: Independence Day Parade. Kids love to march in parades!!!

Late July: Cookout, Raingutter Regatta, and pool night.

Mid August: Cookout and pool night.

In between these, our Council offers Bear Overnight Resident Camp at one of our Reservations (depending on the unit, buth "new" and "old" Bears go to this) as well as a 3 day, 2 night Webelos Resident Camp.

Then it's back to school and the program starts over again.

John

Laurie,

The two mile limit for knowing that you have reached "too much" is when you feel that you can no longer say NO. The committee's job is to support the Pack's activities. If you and your husband are always doing and going beyond your personal and family's time together, then throw out the anchor and STOP but tell the committee first, during the planning stages.

The committee's job will be to continue to support the events they planned even when both of you are doing something else. As far as "too much" leading to confusion, it could be confusing if there was no support but that is not your responsibility once you have informed the committee.

FB

I'm not sure what to tell you because we had the opposite problem. Most of the boys coming in were wanting to camp and we did that about 3-4x a year. Since about May we have had some kind of activity planned 1x a month. Our August Buddy Campout was rained out but it was so close to our Sept campout out that we didn't reschedule. We've had really good turn outs. Maybe doing 1 activity a month would have a better turn out? I don't know.

Tracy

I'm not sure what to tell you because we had the opposite problem. Most of the boys coming in were wanting to camp and we did that about 3-4x a year. Since about May we have had some kind of activity planned 1x a month. Our August Buddy Campout was rained out but it was so close to our Sept campout out that we didn't reschedule. We've had really good turn outs. Maybe doing 1 activity a month would have a better turn out? I don't know.

Tracy

Tracy

I would ask if you are planning Pack or Den activities. Too much of either will conflict with the other and ultimately force people into choosing which activity to join in.

One of the Packs in my area has a VERY ambitious activity schedule. Its a big Pack with a very strong Committee. Great, you might say! But that would be wrong. The Den Leaders object because 1) good outing dates are taken by the Pack schedule, and 2) because the parents and kids are forced to choose between Pack activities and den outings. Its all about time and scheduling. Aside from that, with such an ambitious Pack activity schedule its very hard to have all those activities appeal to the majority of boys. Im sure you realize that Tigers have different interests than Webelos II do.

As for the people who feel left out.they are just giving you lip service. Don't plan for them!

My suggestion would be to limit the amount of Pack activities, and encourage the Dens to do more on their own. My personal thoughts on this are that I like to see, in addition to monthly Pack meeting, one Pack Event each season, (summer, fall, winter, & spring) at the most, parades don't count. You dont want to burn yourself out, burn out your leaders, scouts or parents.