Splitting dens

To throw in my two cents worth, I have to agree that you are going to hav to split the den. I have seen the "sub-den" tried before, and was more trouble than just splitting the den. Of course if a den is very active no one will want to move. Your committee needs to get involved, get the parents together TELL them you are splitting the dens and take the volunteers first. After that maybe have a draw or draft. Like Bob White said the first step is to get some new leaders recruited.

Twocubdad, you know I haven't a lot of experience here, but I wonder if you could recruit two more parents to work in the existing den as leaders, let them gain some confidence working with the current leaders, and then have the den divide. Perhaps that would lessen the anxiety? Have the parents been made aware that this size den is not in the best interest of the boys? My guess is that you have, but I'd be curious to hear their objections.

We have a small pack. As we approached spring and the normal decline in attendance due to baseball, we decided to try something new. It seemed brilliant at the time. With an average of 10 boys tops attending meetings, we had all dens meet the same night and combined several activities. The leaders thought this would give them a break in sharing the planning, that the boys would enjoy the games that a larger group can play, that the den of one would not feel quite so odd. Well, it didn't work well. None of the leaders want to do it again. The boys in each den pretty much stayed with only boys in their den, the leaders worked twice as hard because communication was not very clear, and the skill levels of some crafts meant Webelos flew through items that younger Cubs had fun with but took longer at finishing. So, our experiment didn't work very well.

Also, a problem we have that we are working to fix is that we have two nights available at the CO to us (maybe only one this year), but we have a goal of 5 decent-sized dens. There is one room that may be used by all. I would drop by to see how things were going or to lend a hand to a den leader who asked, and meeting at the same time doing different things is rough. This year, I have encouraged the den leaders to schedule tool nights at the same time, to schedule quieter activities at the same time, etc. I could see your bear den splitting and coming together, but if they are in the same room, I'd caution you with this particular challenge we face.

Good luck! What a great problem to have!

• 2 weeks later...

2CD -

Here's my two cents - and the only validation I can offer my comments is that I'm in the same boat and my unit leaders and I have had all the discussions you're hearing now. My wolf Den is 12 going on 13. August has been very tiring and frustrating, though the boys keep smiling -- I'm looking forward to Oct. 1 for the offical split into two Dens. Even drawing it out that long, I believe, is a small disservice to the boys . . .

Sounds like your program is engaging and successful. With 14 boys in your Den, you're putting that at risk (as well as the mental health of several of your adults!) ;)

I strongly agree with the suggestion to break your Den into two Separate Dens. Get the Pack Leadership suport you need to find the appropriate number of Den Leaders and Assts.

Every year school children are thrown into a new mix. They make new friends and sometimes they keep their old ones or set them aside for a year until they're together again in the same class next year. It takes till about Lunch on the second day (most first days are half days without lunch!) for 7 yr olds to see themselves as part of the "new team". The Cubs won't feel any "separation anxiety" unless you adults spoon feed it to them. The adults all need to be strong enough to do the right thing for the Cubs.

Your Cubs will deal with the split - They're there for the program. You're right, it will be the adults who struggle with the change, not the boys. It's going to be uncomfortable for some of the adults(Leaders and parents), but it's the right thing to do. We ask the boys to "Do Their Best", it's incumbant upon us to do the same. With all due respect, I don't see how anything but a complete split will be the adults' Best.

Even if your boys don't get it or can't verbalize it, there's a huge difference between being 1/14th of a team experience and being 1/7th of a team experience.

If your DL is the linchpin, keep him involved with planning for both groups - It's always a great idea to keep communication and planning very cohesive between same-level Dens.

BUT, each group deserves the chance to develop into its own team with its own personality and peer mix. If you try to half-split them, you'll end up with greater issues. You'll be asking boys and parents to grow, but not too much - develop their own personalities, but not too much - become self-sufficient and independant, but not too much. (Sounds like dealing with teenagers!! Really, THIS is a bad idea! They'll all be teenagers soon enough!!) ;) I suggest the clean break is healthier for everyone. Your two Dens will be immensely stronger and healthier than two sub-dens.

I would further suggest that you don't, for your own mental health, make this a community discussion. Leaders need to lead. You and you Pack Leadership need to make the decision, find the new Leaders and sort the boys out appropriately. Too many cooks will definitely spoil this dish -- at the very least YOU'LL have indigestion for weeks.

Hope it was worth at least two cents . . .

Best of Luck!

jd