News from National Meeitng no knots, no DEs

Just heard a "rumor" from the National Meeting, DE's are going away and the knots will be history as well. The awards (Silver Beaver, District Award of Merit, etc.) will remain, just no nots. As a foreruner of eliminating the uniform.

Council offices will not have DE's the way they do now, they will instead have fewer professionals who will make plenty of calls, but rely on VOlunteers to make things happen.

Anybody hear anything on this? Just wild rumors or any grains of truth? I do not claim this is true, I just heard it and want to know if anyone has heard anything else?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...just after I removed all my knots. The contrarian in me would want me to sew them back on; like the old salts who are proud of their red tabs or old green uniforms. If they remove them their will be some sort of new device in a few years and it will grow and grow...

The DE thing is interesting...I have not heard a thing.

Sounds like a good plan on both counts.

Council offices as call centers/customer service.

Volunteers who aren't in it for recognition or knots taking ownership of the Districts back from professionals.

It sounds excellent in theory. If it fails, the program will be carried out forever by the grassroots, but just won't be a powerful national movement.

Sounds like a strange move, when they just made the mega Councils, and the plan for that was for MORE DE's..

Change of idea in 6 months time??.. Difference of the new guy at Nationals..

Hmmm.. Not sure if it would work.. It might for the program side of things.. But not for the yuccky stuff, like Finance & Membership.. I know for that we are not working for the good of the boys, but (at least in my council), it is to help out the DE..

Who are they going to threaten to fire if you have low Finance or Membership.. The volunteers?? The guy who heads the Council, who we rarely see or hear from, so one Joe is as good as another??

If so it's program for the boys all the way, figure out your own Finance & Membership..

I find the DE thing a hard rumor to believe. It just seems like membership numbers are a big deal, and if you remove the only paid person who has the responsibility of keeping membership up in a given area, you might experience a drop off. Is the SE going to start attending all of the district committee meetings? Really push them to boost membership? Seems like that would make the job even less attractive than it is now.

Terrible plan. (If it really is a plan.) With all the talk about "protecting the brand", the surest way to destroy the brand is to eliminate the uniform.

As for eliminating knots - I seriously doubt it. Why discourage leader training and accomplishment?

New Training Award Requirements

Last year the national councils awards committee conducted a review of the hundreds of awards presented to Scouts and adults in the BSA. Many recommendations were made to simplify and update procedures, and the awards themselves.

Among the recommendations was the update of some awards and/or the knots that represent them on the uniform. These include the training awards and the Cub Scouting awards.

For example, to give the award the same recognition as the other top unit leader awards, the Cubmaster Award will become the Cubmasters Key and use the Scouters Key knot. The Cub Scouter and Pack Trainer Awards will use the Scouters Training Award knot. The Tiger Cub, Cub Scout, and Webelos Den Leaders Awards will use the Den Leaders Award knot. Devices to be worn on the knots will be available to indicate which awards, and for which program awards were earned.

Scouters who have earned the awards previously will still be able to wear the old knots as long as they are available.

The requirements to earn the awards will be similar to the current requirements, but have been updated to reflect current training, the emphasis on program planning, and the Journey to Excellence. They will continue to require training, tenure, and performance. This is Scouting which was removed from the basic training set for most positions, but is still a valuable course to help leaders understand the Scouting program and its history, will be a part of the award requirements.

The new requirements will be released at the National Annual Meeting in late May and will be posted on the Training page of Scouting.org after the meeting. Scouters who have begun work on the awards using the previous requirements will be able to finish with the old requirements, or can choose to use the new ones.

http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx

I was at the National Meeting, none of this is true.

The push is to get more DE's in the field, not less. Despite some opinion's on this board, DE's are a large part of what keeps this movement moving forward.

Twocub's post really does say it all. Money is what makes the National Office go round and they will NEVER let go control of the reins to volunteers. Who would pay all those outrageous salaries SE's and the National heads make after all?