Swim Check intimmidation and fear

Went to my first swim check tonight. WEll wait, let me correct that. Participated as a swimmer in a swim check tonight.

This was actually the second swimcheck I attended.

Of course , being a newbie, I didn't know ( during the first check) that leaders did it too, so I showed up in blue jeans and t shirt and flip flops.

Anyways, went to swim check tonight to make up for my not getting checked last time.

Since one of the few people who wee not immediately local to the poo( 30 miles from my house) I was lucky in that I got to go first.

That did not bother me at all. But I was completely aware of the fact that ALL eyeswere on me, All 400 and something another number of them.

Again, I am not shy in this regard, but I do see why and how many scouts get locked up and loath swim checks.

Not every scout is okay with all eyes on him. The stress of dong well is already bad enough, but add in that everybody is whatching you, andf that they could see you ckoke, lock up or just fail the swim check ...well man, I totally understand it.

I am a good swimmer myself. Not a Michael Phelps by any means, but can handle my own just fine - thank you very much.

So I'm not completely sure why I was the only one doing it when I did it, but after I went, they started doing 5 scouts at a time in 5 different lanes.

Anyways, just a little bit of insite and learning....which I do value, by the way.

We have a swim check today at the local pool. Those that pass will be canoeing next weekend, those that don't will not. I'm sure some are stressing over it.

I gave the new guys some inside pointers on how to pass, use the breast or side stroke, not the crawl, and do restful back strokes by counting to 3 between strokes. I believe most were not listening, we'll see.

Pack...

I guess that once you wear the tu-tu..the bashfullness is long gone! :)

My point was though...I can understand where a scout gets intimmidated not only by wether he might get ranked as a beginner or even a non-swimmer, but he also has all eyes on him.

Now sure, not every person in the pool area was looking at me. And no doubt that out of all the people who were, most will be looking at and paying attention to thier own troop/unit/ groups after that.

But, since I was the first one in most everybody in the pool area was indeed watching me.

Again, I do not care, but put a scout in my place. Especially a younger, shyer , nervous scout.

I can see how intimmidating that alone is.

Now add to the fact that he is also trying to show his ability.

What are all the other guys thinking?

What if he ranks lower than everybody else?

What if he gets non-swimmer?

What if he can't even finish?

Will everybody laugfh at him? Pick on him? Make fun of him?

Now, I am not saying that swim checks are bad, nor should they do away with them.

All I am saying is this:

From my observation at the swim check..I understand the anguish and agony and intimmidation they cause people.

Me? Nah, I don't care. I am the tutu man afterall! :)

Keep the tutu put of the pool.

And this is probably where applying the patrol method may come in handy. If a boy knows that it's just his seven buddies and the qualified supervision cheering him on, it might take the edge off.

Barry, well said.

The only way those shy, awkward scouts are going to achieve success to is by actual accomplishment. Stepping into the arena.

Our duty as adults is to make sure that arena is the right forum, that right mix of challenge and safety, for the scout to succeed. Or, just as importantly, to fail.

Too many scouters unwittingly validate, and thus solidify, scouts' fears--"Yep, Johnny Scout, the world is a big, difficult, scary place."

My best memories as an ASM/SM are those moments when a scout conquered a task...the tough MB, qualifying at the range, learning to swim, speaking in public. You can actually see the moment the they realize "Hey, I can do this!" That newfound self confidence then extends to every area of their life. I think that's one of the best aspects of scouting.

But they will only achieve if they step into the arena. They won't succeed if they are carrying a mental rucksack filled their parents' and scouters' fears, in addition to their own.

"I've come to believe that when you say in your posts that it's not about you, it's about you "

Nah, mot me. I'm not shy or bashful at all. I am just saying that up til a few weeks ago, everything and anything I knew about swim checks came from reading about it or a 2nd person accounts.

Still don't know what it's like showing up at camp and having to do it with400 other scouts right after you get there.

But, knowing from my experience how some scouts tend to be more shy, timid or reserved about doing things in front of others.....well, I now know that swim checks are a big, big "in front of everybody" event.

When I found out I was going to be the first person in the water....I was : "Sweet! I don't have to wait an hour or two before I get to go and then head back home!"

Yeah, everybody was watching me. But that don't bother me. I am ..was a CM, and camp promoter, and round up emcee. I have stood on top of a pic-nic table and adressed 6 packs worth of scouts and parents at the woodworking/leather craft building while working resident camp.

I wore a pink spandex catsuit and matching tutu at a pack meeting because I lost a bet with scouts. I laughed more than they did.

Shay and bashful in front of people I am not! :)

So, all I am saying is this: I do try to see things from other peoples perspective. I hear alot of stories about scouts being intimmidated by, loathing and dreading swim checks.

Could be a fear of water, or could be a fear of embarassing themselves in front of a bunch of other scouts.

If you are not shy, then there's nothing to it.

If you are shy, I understand the nightmare that a swimcheck could be.

I'm just glad I didn't blow my "rear ballast" while floating! :)

Eagle732, I have to respectfully disagree with you based on personal experience with my Scout son. When he crossed the first outing was a canoe / camping trip down a river. We were in the canoe together for the trip. The group made a stop to work on some canoe skills including getting into a canoe that tipped over. Well don't you know, not 100 yards down river after we started up again we go in the drink. From behind I hear "Well, it's a good thing we just had that class". We get the gear back in the canoe, get all right and get back in. He was bummed we tipped, but that was about it.

Flash forward three months. Summer Camp, Sunday Swim Test. I could see the hemming and hawing, nervousness and everything else you wouldn't expect. So the kid who managed a tipped canoe in a river didn't make it 25 yards in the Swim Lake.

What I'm saying is you can definitely be right on some occasions. But to say a swim test is never stressful is not taking into effect the mind of an 11 year-old. But I definitely took a few things away from all this:

*I never even thought about the fact that my boy, who loves the ocean, had never actually swam in a lake before. Crazy, how did that happen kind of thing. But when he stood on the dock looking into water over his head with a clarity of 2 inches at the most can look like a pool of black danger.

*The more time they have to think about it (SOMETIMES) can only make it worse.

*When you are taking new kids to a SC site you have never been before, try and have them as prepared as possible.

I think about 2 years ago and realize, while I still sometimes feel like I don't know anything, I sure have learned a lot!

With respect to Israp's exception, I have to emphasize Eagle732's point. A typical scout (who has not just completed a tipped canoe class) is apt to find an unexpected swim more stressful than a swim test.

I'm all in favor of making the swim test as stressful as possible. Neither a hidden eddy wall, a boat wake, nor a wind blast are going to give you five or ten minutes to get ready to take a controlled swim a known distance...

I used to be a good swimmer but now, for medical reasons, not so good. I have "failed" the test several times, passed others, but always try, try, try for the boys sake. I have been classified as a "beginner" at camp once and had to wade, conspicuously, in the "baby area". Always tried to be a good sport about it.

Irsap, I think you missed my point, I meant relatively speaking one is not stressful when compared to the other.

Is a swim test stressful to an 11 year old? Of course it can be for some. So is his first Board of Review, first Scoutmaster's conference, first overnight campout or first time going to visit a merit badge councilor. Stress is natural when you do something for the first time.

I had 13 new scouts do a swim test yesterday at the local pool, all but one passed. No one seemed to be stressing over it.

I have been a good swimmer most of my life. We have been taking our sons to the ocean, lakes, rivers and pools all their lifes. We took our then 6-7 year old white water rafting. I was a scout lifeguard and nationally certified Swiftwater Rescue Technican. I forget that other people cannot swim or are poor swimmers.

I usually attend the troop swim checks at the pool before camp. I am more than happy to go first and then act as lifeguard for the rest. Usually teach reach, throw, row, go as well as ring bouy toss for the 1st years who need it for 2nd class once they have completed their swim checks.

We only usually have 1 or at most 2 that are beginners. Cant remember any non-swimmers in 5 years. Usually the problem is they sprint thinking its a race and run of juice before they finish.

I remember as a lad jumping in the dark lake water was very different from the clear pool water. There were invisible things in the water lurking just waiting to get me. I think the fear of the unknown is more of an issue than their swimming ability. It is a confidence thing.