Youth Protection now required before registering

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm old fashioned. I think the on-line courses should be a prep class for the "real" course - the course they used to have.

Same goes for position specific training - Scouters should be trained before they have a position, not afterwards. Also, after the training the participants should be made to show some level of competency - just like the boys! I don't know how many courses I've taught where it was just treated as a money make for the council. Had participants leave early, skip portions, etc. and still "graduate."

As to the source, while it didn't hot link in the gaucho post, here it is again: http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/DocDownload.aspx?id=78969.

As to not much advance warning, yeah, though the "trip ups" right now would be new leader applications that are coming in next week (or impending recharters) . . . for most who re-charter on a calendar year, it seems like this is effectively 6+ months advance notice.

Definately a topic of concern is new leader signup (e.g. new Cub Leaders at School Nights for Scouting) and what, exactly, one is gonna need to "connect the dots" between Leader, Application and Proof of Training, since while a lot of folks may be taking the training on line, lots of them won't be on line plus with access to a printer to "prove it" pending a BSA number that you can't get until you're registered which you can't get until you show proof of YPT which means you can't get a BSA number . . . more to come, I'm sure!

Also curious about how many "Committee Members" will not be renewed since they haven't done the training so why pay the $15 for them?

-- Which is not to say that it isn't important to encourage, cajole, etc., but . . . if the Congressional Budget Office was "scoring" this bill, it might have a $$ impact!

That is not an official source.

If it were on Scouting.org or in Scouting Magazine or some other BSA source then I would believe it.

Until it is official I will consider it an Urban Legend.

Perhaps it is official in which case I would like to see it.

It may not be from an official source, but I think the word is about to come out officially. Went to MyScouting.org, logged and, and this message is posted in bold and red.

YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING: Volunteers who wish to take the Youth Protection Training Course in E-Learning may do so at any time. You do not need a member ID to take this course. Click on E-Learning and select Youth Protection Training from the General tab. You will receive a certificate of completion. When you add your member ID to your Profile, the course completion will be updated for your council.

making aquery there.

Eagle92,

I don't believe that statement has anything to do with this announcement (or whatever it is). I took YPT and a lot of the other online courses before I was formally re-registered - you just create an account and do 'em, and then it hooks up with your actual registration number once you get it.

That link highlights the one thing I really dislike about the doubleknot web system ... it may be convenient for councils, but you can't always tell where an individual page came from.

Short,

made a good point. BSA national, as well as a bunch of councils, are clients of Doubleknot. Alkso the memo is supposedly from a ACSE. And the national conference is going on, sooo....

The link is posted by our council. The letter came from an official BSA communication to the executives in our council, probably to all execs then my exec passed on to me. I suppose it was voted on during this weeks Nat. Board meeting. Check with your local execs and they probably received it too.

Well I emailed my district K3, and the DE forwarded the email he received on this topic today that contained this memo. This is for real.

Packs are going to have some challenges AH CARAMBA!

This requirement was definitely a topic of conversation this afternoon in Dallas after the news broke . . . not discussion as in "why", more in "how" to implement, plus record-keeping issues, etc.

And speaking of "is it official or not" -- here's good news revealed today -- a new feature of (or alongside) the monthly training updates on scouting.org will be a "rumor control" element, to quash those pesky BSA training myths and confirm what is really out there!

-- Of course, a month is like 7.5 rumor cycles last I checked, but this is a great start! ;^)

Our Council sent it out today. I think that this is a great positive step. Will be a challenge getting it done quickly in the fall after roundup and before Den Meetings start, but doable. Our Pack actually had already made it's own requirement that all Leaders do YP annually anyway.

What's going to be interesting is the part about 2 year lifespans of YP certificates.

You can register for MyScouting without a BSA ID now. That means Mr and Mrs Smith can sign up and do the YP training ahead of turning in their app.

I wonder if online recharter will block a member from recharter, and he/she will have to do a new app entry?

ETA: I have absolutely no reason to doubt anything over Jim Terry's signature. He was our SE in Kansas City, he's a truly solid citizen.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)