2023 Recruiting Update

Any updates on how recruiting looks this fall?  I seem to remember seeing a lot of updates last fall, in terms of major growth of Cub Scouts, but haven't seen the same updates this one.  Curious if anyone has seen Cub Scouts continuing to grow and any turn around in Scouts BSA.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 2023, LaSalle Council (Northern Indiana, Southern Michigan) ranked second of 245 councils in membership growth (Who's on First? I dunno.) with a 21% growth rate of Cub and scouts. Female scouts inc

With our Council's new service fee of $80/year, our Council will no longer do FOS at the unit level.  Prior to this, I had my 2 units (a Troop and a Ship) make an annual unit contribution to the Counc

We have 10 Webelos from our pack visiting next week. It looks like nearly all of them intend to crossover. The crazy just keeps coming for us.

Posted Images

Pretty poor for us. Our troop is down from 20 to 13. Our Pack peaked at ~73 last year and will peak only at 63 this year. The higher fees PLUS needing to pay for 1 year really put a damper on recruiting for us. A school that netted about 20+ in one night, yielded 0 in the one night. We had maybe 5 over about a week as people thought it over. 

The full year membership + increasing council fees are a concern.  I know our Council is pouring everything into Cub Scouts (almost ignoring Scouts BSA outside of Merit Badge clinics).   Hopefully that works as the Scout BSA Troops are really starting to suffer from the lean Cub Scout years.  

While at best anecdotal, and only a snapshot, just some local observations

1) The 2 Cub packs are our CO are basically 1/2 of what they were per-pandemic.  Both were in the 110 - 120 range, now both are about 55 each.  As noted the fees, etc.  seem to have cut into participation.

2) Our troop is about 60% of what it was, basically the challenge is the crossover numbers.  Was talking with one of the AOL den leaders, they had 12 in the den when they started, now they have 3.

3) At our week at summer camp the average number of Scouts per unit in camp used to be 26 over the last few years.  This summer the average scouts per unit was about 19.  In talking with the Camp Director that was about average for all the weeks.  While they had roughly the same number of Scouts in camp, the number of units per week was much higher

The focus on Cubs has been a short term gain (questionable at best) for long term pain.  Kids / families are burning out and leaving, also many families think Scouts will be similar and are not ready for the independence and autonomy of Scouts,  They seem to expect programming for an 11 years old their kid can easily move into, as opposed to programming for 14 - 15 year old that their kid(s) can aspire to.

18 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

The focus on Cubs has been a short term gain (questionable at best) for long term pain.  Kids / families are burning out and leaving, also many families think Scouts will be similar and are not ready for the independence and autonomy of Scouts,  They seem to expect programming for an 11 years old their kid can easily move into, as opposed to programming for 14 - 15 year old that their kid(s) can aspire to.

I think this is a good summary.  BSA membership had a short-term boost by opening to younger and younger scouts.  BUT, it's now killing the membership numbers in later years.  Worse, it's changed the experience and also the perception of the experience such that many now question the value of scouting. 

My apologies as I've said it over and over again.  For my four sons, if I had to do it over again, I would have started my boys in scouts at 3rd grade when they could start being more independent with other youth their age.  Heck, I'd be okay if they had their first scouting experience in a troop and missed cub scouts.  The big big big big scouting benefits happen in the later scouting years.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

I think this is a good summary.  BSA membership had a short-term boost by opening to younger and younger scouts.  BUT, it's now killing the membership numbers in later years.  Worse, it's changed the experience and also the perception of the experience such that many now question the value of scouting. 

My apologies as I've said it over and over again.  For my four sons, if I had to do it over again, I would have started my boys in scouts at 3rd grade when they could start being more independent with other youth their age.  Heck, I'd be okay if they had their first scouting experience in a troop and missed cub scouts.  The big big big big scouting benefits happen in the later scouting years.

Agree the big benefits of Scouting can happen in a troop and happens over several years as the Scout grows, matures, takes on leadership, and takes on more adventures.  As an Eagle, camp staffer for many years, former DE, ASM, and with experience in training and in district leadership (way back in the day) when I involved my son he joined in 3rd grade so only maybe 3 years of Cubs, which was a gracious plenty. 

He was very ready to move on to the troop and get to the fun of Scouting.

As a side note, when he joined the troop I was (and still am) only involved with the troop.  That is where Scouting happens, in the units.  So many key district and council volunteers are so far removed from actual Scouts out on actual outings, they have lost their focus.  A good thunderstorm or cold night can lead to a lot of maturity growth real quickly.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

That is where Scouting happens, in the units.  So many key district and council volunteers are so far removed from actual Scouts out on actual outings, they have lost their focus.

This is a fundamental truth that escapes much of the organization. 

Expand your net, please, to include National Service Territory and National volunteers, and professionals at all levels.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
25 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

... I was (and still am) only involved with the troop.  That is where Scouting happens, in the units.  So many key district and council volunteers are so far removed from actual Scouts out on actual outings, they have lost their focus.  A good thunderstorm or cold night can lead to a lot of maturity growth real quickly.

Such an interesting point.  So so so so few scouters stay helping cub scouts.  Most love to help troops.  IMHO, this is a reflection of how much extra work cub scouts is and how much more meaningful troop scouting is.

16 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Any updates on how recruiting looks this fall?  I seem to remember seeing a lot of updates last fall, in terms of major growth of Cub Scouts, but haven't seen the same updates this one.  Curious if anyone has seen Cub Scouts continuing to grow and any turn around in Scouts BSA.

The actual numbers for Cubs / Scouts / Units appear to be a closely guarded secret.  Our council makes no mention of actual numbers in any reports.  If you ask the professional / board group they judge BSA's success by the amount of money raised.  That is their KEY metric.

There is the report to the Nation, though not able to find one for 2021 (would have been presented March 2022) that contains membership totals.  Basically since 2017 the BSA has seen a reduction of more than half the membership.  Venturing, Sea Scouts, and Exploring are down by much higher numbers.

While some is pandemic induced, main challenges are lack of focus (overall) by the organization on actually getting folks interested in the BSA.  There is no marketing, no real effort to "sell" the BSA to kids and also families.  Recruiting is a challenge, but retaining those recruited is the actual issue and having a compelling program that is not burdensome.  

image.thumb.png.1c15f0834ddee9fe6e90d8d7c20f7adf.png

Edited by Jameson76

Part of the reason packs are down is because during the pandemic other organizations stepped up to the plate with outdoor programming while scouting mostly shut down. Participation has remained high because parents saw that those programs are easier to participate in for a day or a season, cheaper, more focused, and generally led by more knowledgeable people. It also doesn't require fundraising or for parents to pay to volunteer. Scouters habitually gripe about youth sports, but the outdoors used to be scouting's turf and others have moved in very effectively. It's perhaps not as recognized because it's not as organized or monolithic as say Little League or Pop Warner. 

• Upvote 1