• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My career is in insurance, and I can state that insurance carriers settle cases often simply because the cost of litigation and resulting bad PR are considered a better option. Generally settlement ag

My #1 gripe is using the term "leader" vs Scouter or "Adult Supervision".   The scouts should be leading. The adult Scouters are there for supervision and safety NOT to lead. (Except for cub

Here is an interesting item copyright 1921:  😄  

Posted Images

SAFE sounds good on first reading , when carefully looked  is at first clear the the troop leadership has the responsibility for safety other part are more vague as to what makes up skilled 

On 2/16/2023 at 1:29 PM, InquisitiveScouter said:

Although I concur with the practice of checking for this, could you please point out in the literature where it says a unit is required to do this?

There is a SAFE checklist to help with this...

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-696(21)-SAFE-Transportation-Checklist-FPO3-5172021.pdf

But, other than you, who else is actually running this checklist?

the very form states that "Motor vehicles used to transport Scouts must complete Pre-Trip Transportation Inspection before travel for each driver and vehicle" 

GSS - Transportation #9 Motor vehicles used to transport Scouts must complete Pre-Trip Transportation Inspection before travel. This includes correcting all deficiencies.

Yes if all goes well no one will ask, Have a problem involving a transportation issue (car wreck) everyone will be wanting to see the form.

If this form works t its best it should make you look and access travel and hopefully stop and cuorrect problems before they come real problems

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, jcousino said:

SAFE sounds good on first reading , when carefully looked  is at first clear the the troop leadership has the responsibility for safety other part are more vague as to what makes up skilled 

the very form states that "Motor vehicles used to transport Scouts must complete Pre-Trip Transportation Inspection before travel for each driver and vehicle" 

GSS - Transportation #9 Motor vehicles used to transport Scouts must complete Pre-Trip Transportation Inspection before travel. This includes correcting all deficiencies.

Yes if all goes well no one will ask, Have a problem involving a transportation issue (car wreck) everyone will be wanting to see the form.

If this form works t its best it should make you look and access travel and hopefully stop and cuorrect problems before they come real problems

Thanks!  I have read through the G2SS many times, and never really registered that.  Appreciate you citing it.

We have not been using that checklist, but now we will.

Wonder when that became part of G2SS?

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

A bit late to the game, but maybe not.  One of the things that was changed in the past decade or less was the required filing of an actual tour permit, which included approval, in theory, of the local council.  Part of that was an endorsement validating that all drivers had the insurance needed, based on GSS and also the state in which they resided or were to go through or to.  That was something that I still feel should have stayed in the mix, as it made the events be considered for that safety factor, along with guaranteeing, again in theory, the leaders were trained.  I do not know why it was dropped, other than councils were not able to validate things or keep good records due to expenses ???

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, skeptic said:

A bit late to the game, but maybe not.  One of the things that was changed in the past decade or less was the required filing of an actual tour permit, which included approval, in theory, of the local council.  Part of that was an endorsement validating that all drivers had the insurance needed, based on GSS and also the state in which they resided or were to go through or to.  That was something that I still feel should have stayed in the mix, as it made the events be considered for that safety factor, along with guaranteeing, again in theory, the leaders were trained.  I do not know why it was dropped, other than councils were not able to validate things or keep good records due to expenses ???

Dropped it can easily become evidence of negligence and liability.  It's one reason I think BSA should move away from being a "membership" organization.