Our chapter ordeal has been re-rescheduled for June 19-21.  I have no way of knowing of this will be possible in our little state of Maryland, but ya gotta aim at something. Now there are a few new problems  this year of course. First,  We have no real idea how many candidates will attend.  It's normally 65. But how many will decide to wait until next year? Half?  Can't use our usual location so a number of decisions are going to have to be made of the fly.  But if the high adventure camps are open some of our best and most experienced scouts will be staffing there.  A new ring and trail needs to be made, and we are still under a lockdown edict. Only allowed out for food, booze, meds,and exercise.  Fun times!   

Doing my best to serve cheerfully, 

Oldscout

To be fair, while local camps might happen, high adventure ones are going to be less popular. And ordeal seems more compatible with social distancing rules. 

I saw where virtual camp outs will count toward OA camping requirements.  

If anyone is interested, our ordeal is a go!  Only 10 days away now and it's been an frustrating, exhausting, inspiring, experience trying to get the ceremonies part up and running.  

Our normal camp is off limits now so...

Find a site, clear a ring (BIG fallen trees to move) figure out where the trails go, clear and mark them.  Read all the new safety protocols, come up with some ideas how to implement them. At the first rehearsal realize that half of them aren't going to work.  Back to the drawing board.  Realize the ring isn't big enough to keep everyone apart, enlarge it.  Find out a lot more candidates registered than you guesstimated, enlarge it again.  

All with 75% of the numbers we had pre pandemic.

But some of the scouts are just extraordinary!  They just keep showing up, working like beavers two, three, even four times a week. Sometimes all afternoon sometimes they can only stay for an hour.  Practicing ceremonies after dark. Pushing each other to excel.  I tell you brethren they are a true inspiration!

If scouting is indeed ending, at least around here it's going out on one heck of a high note.

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1