wilderness first aid class question

My son is taking wilderness first aid in a few weeks.  He wants to do this for his own knowledge, he's not doing any high adventure.  He has to bring a wilderness first aid kit with him.  I'm wondering what he will do with it in class and how thorough it needs to be?  Will he be using his supplies in the class?  We've got several first aid kits and I could combine them and probably make a decent size kit, more than enough gauze and misc. but he wouldn't have things like a tourniquet.  The class isn't cheap.  I don't really want to go out and buy a bunch of expensive stuff we are likely to never use but I also don't want him to be embarrassed if he doesn't have something he needs.  I need some input from anyone that has advice.  Of course the troop has a nice big kit with lots of goodies but this is not a troop function.  Thank you.

When I took it we didn't need to bring anything.  I would have him talk to his Scoutmaster to see if he can borrow the unit's kit for the class.  I would also reach out to the instructor explaining the situation, most will just be bringing their unit med kits.

Good on him for taking the initiative to take the class.  

• Upvote 1

I recommend this quick read: https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/a-wilderness-first-aid-kit-checklist

For the most part, it's a basic first aid kit you might bring on a day hike (adhesive bandages of different sizes, a few gauze pads, some antiseptic wipes, an ace bandage or two, a set of tweezers, something that can be used as a cravat, a small package of moleskin).  Probably items you already have in a home first aid kit.  Additions I'd recommend is a roll of athletic tape, a tube of cortisone/rash cream, and a SAM splint- these might be a few bucks, but I always carry mine on me.  Dollar General type stores might have these.  My kit is in a fanny-pack type pouch, and I sling it around my shoulder on hikes.  Doubtful they will use the materials on the course, it's more of a proof of concept that the participants understand situations they can find themselves in that might require having a kit that is a little different than a small personal kit like they put together for First Aid MB. 

We used Ace bandages, triangle bandages, some splints, things like that.  Did not need gauze, band aids etc.

Your course and mileage may vary by location, warranty not valid in CA, OH, and HI

When I took it we didn't open any of the supplys in my kit but we did discuss expeiration date and went through the kit and noted what was expired and what could be added to be better prepared.

Our troop pays for this kind of training scout or adult and the troop should provide their first aid kit so it can be checked also. 

Wilderness first aid is one of the requirements for National Outdoor Award Medal so he should take a look at this to see if its something he could earn.

I like @mashmaster borrowing suggestion.  Start with your scout's personal safety - gloves,  glasses,  mask, headlamp..  in kit.

Don't worry if you don't have "this" or "that", a WFA class will teach what "this" and "that" you should carry and if you don't, how to improvise from what you do have. For example, using a belt as a tourniquet. Definitely pay attention to other bleed stop (e.g  QuikClot, Woundstop) tools.

I have bought supplies from Chinook who have been helpful. 

https://www.chinookmed.com/   

My $0.01

We're in Ohio!   

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'll slap together a 'good enough' kit from what we have in the cars and house.  We have more than most people.  Borrowing the troop kit is not an option. 

He has no interest in awards but I'm aware of the National Outdoor Award Metal.  He already has several of the requirements done without any intent towards the award but its unlikely he'll do the Backpacking MB.