GOOD NEWS: "Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" Works.

37 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

They built a catapult at camp, using a shovel as part of the arm instead of some type of basket end.

That's great! I can imagine it worked better than a basket as sliding off the end of the blade would be better than waiting for the basket to stop. Good for the scouts.

32 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Adults run the events? 

Barry

Yes. Rationale for that is to allow the Scouts to compete and have fun. HOWEVER the ideas for the events are picked by the SPLs. We have a SPL & SM Crackerbarrel Saturday nite that is a Thorns and Rose's session as well as planning session for next year. All of next year's events have already been selected by the SPLs.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Yes. Rationale for that is to allow the Scouts to compete and have fun. HOWEVER the ideas for the events are picked by the SPLs. We have a SPL & SM Crackerbarrel Saturday nite that is a Thorns and Rose's session as well as planning session for next year. All of next year's events have already been selected by the SPLs.

Ironic I guess with today's discussions,  around here the OA organize running the events. At least they used to. The adults probably help OA with organizing, but you wouldn't see them running them. I guess adults are OK, I'm just not used to it.

Barry

39 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Sort of the same thing our district did for the winter event.

Leaders manned the events, Scouts wandered about camp going (or not) to the stations.  Our troop leaders would man the event, basically describe the station, then let the various troops patrols figure it out.  We never sent anyone around with the Scouts, figured they had a map, off they go.

Usually they came back to the site, especially when it got dark and cold.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1

Train-em, trust-em,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just got back from our Mountain Man Camporee. Saturday morning our patrol was at the opening on time. Got their score card and took off for their first challenge station.

Meanwhile, the scoutmaster whom I've been mentoring, had to go in to work for a couple of hours. Myself and a parent went around taking photos of the various troop campsites (checking out tents and cooking set ups for ideas). This was their first camporee. We checked out all of the 10 stations, but couldn't find our patrol. Went back to camp and there they were. Six scouts were sitting around their campsite, and the two youngest were in their tents taking a nap.

I said nothing, but the parent (of a scout) strongly suggested they get back out on the trail. Seriously, when I asked the PL why they came back to camp, he said, "I thought the events were optional." Did I say that this was their first camporee?

sst3rd

• Haha 1

i was asked about "competition" if there is only a patrol.  Compete with, camp with, hike with, other patrols whoever their charter organization. Scouting started out as a movement.  B-P hoped for brotherhood even across national borders.   Bill Hillcourt was "Scoutmaster to the World."  Another CO is no great barrier

• Like 1

@Eagle94-A1, I think a lot of troops are having this problem. I think our district has shrunk by some 40% in the past 10 years or something. The troops don't lose anyone more than before but the packs are failing left and right because nobody will step up to lead.

I'm also wondering how many neighborhood kids would be more likely to join scouts if their neighborhood friends were told about it at the same time. Rather than use Facebook to get the word out, use the Nextdoor app. Find a patrol first, then find a troop to plug into. In a way, making the patrol without finding a troop is the GS model. While I think a patrol should be with a troop, this would help bring friends together. A group of friends always makes for a stronger patrol.