National Meeting: Affirmation of DRP

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still don't understand why the need for a DRP. We don't have a DCP (Declaration of Citizenship Principles) and the Oath also states Duty to Country. We don't have a DHP (Declaration of Helping Princ

I think this resolution leaves out some things that are important to a correct understanding of what the BSA's religion policy actually is, "on the ground."  What I am about to say is "old hat" to mos

Oh, I would never do that.  The idea that one must "accept any and all beliefs"  was never my desire.   Like B-P  once said (paraphrase)   a Scout's  faith is generally determined by his family.  Sinc

45 minutes ago, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

We went through this 14 years ago:

Keep in mind we have had a lot of new members since then, and a lot of people who were participating then are no longer participating.  I knew it has been discussed in the past, but was not industrious to go back and search for it.  :)

On 6/13/2018 at 10:02 AM, SSScout said:

Matt R:   Thank you for looking up Penn's work.   The whole book is very thought provoking, yes?  

I wouldn't know. Google is my friend. I just read the one paragraph. But thank you for the explanation. I do enjoy this type of thing.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:02 AM, SSScout said:

And where is that Sub Forum on Faith and Chaplaincy????

I haven't asked for it. And in all honesty I'd be a bit afraid of one. It might sound odd because I really do enjoy reading bits of wisdom from people much wiser than I. But I'm not sure if it would work. I'm a bit cynical but how many scouters really do respect the religious beliefs of other people? The only way it would work would require everyone to accept any and all beliefs of everyone. Pagans, Baptists, Wiccans, atheists, Hassidic Jews, .... Without that anyone that started drawing lines as to what a legitimate religion was would just create a storm. It has to come from the point that each other person's belief is right for them. I've had plenty of people insult my religious beliefs and some were scouters, so I'm not sure it would work.

You're welcome to contradict my skepticism.

1 hour ago, MattR said:

I haven't asked for it. And in all honesty I'd be a bit afraid of one. It might sound odd because I really do enjoy reading bits of wisdom from people much wiser than I. But I'm not sure if it would work. I'm a bit cynical but how many scouters really do respect the religious beliefs of other people? The only way it would work would require everyone to accept any and all beliefs of everyone. Pagans, Baptists, Wiccans, atheists, Hassidic Jews, .... Without that anyone that started drawing lines as to what a legitimate religion was would just create a storm. It has to come from the point that each other person's belief is right for them. I've had plenty of people insult my religious beliefs and some were scouters, so I'm not sure it would work.

Good reply. I think it expresses the thoughts of much of our society.

But, if I may humbly give a personal anecdote; the Scouts surprised me with the Scoutmater Award Of Merit during a COH. In the presentation speech by the SPL, he stated that he didn’t know my religion, but he knew I was a deeply religious man.

The BSA program has one set of directives that most other organizations don’t have in building respect for the differences of each member of the patrol, the Scout Oath and Law. The Oath and Law not only don’t conflict with the teachings of most religions, they enhance them. Even bring clarity.  

Sadly, we underestimate the power of consistently measuring our actions with the Oath and Law, so we don’t grow in the habits of using them.

What other program does that as well as the BSA.

Barry

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MattR said:

You're welcome to contradict my skepticism.

Oh, I would never do that.  The idea that one must "accept any and all beliefs"  was never my desire.   Like B-P  once said (paraphrase)   a Scout's  faith is generally determined by his family.  Since there are so many different types of worship,  I would never point and say THIS one is correct, all the rest are poor  imitations. No, no, no.  Not my decision. Not yours (or anyone's) either.   We can only "do our best", and  when the final exam comes around, see if we pass.   

One of my favorite comedians Emo Phillips  wrote/created a joke about this... 

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

• Haha 4
On 6/14/2018 at 3:35 PM, Eagledad said:

The BSA program has one set of directives that most other organizations don’t have in building respect for the differences of each member of the patrol, the Scout Oath and Law. The Oath and Law not only don’t conflict with the teachings of most religions, they enhance them. Even bring clarity.  

Except the BSA doesn't follow them with regard to atheists, nor (judging by past comments) does Eagledad.

• Downvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, walk in the woods said:

If the BSA dropped the DRP, would those  of you that oppose to the DRP be open to individual COs adding one for their units?

Sorry I am late getting into this thread.   I am opposed to the DRP (I don't believe in it the way it is written).   I am totally OK with making this requirement part of the "local option".  It doesn't bother me if a troop wants to restrict its membership so long as those members lose the authority to force everyone to.  That has been the problem with the membership restrictions all along.

Jim