HelpfulTracks

Who is headed to NOAC 2018?

41 minutes ago, krikkitbot said:

No regalia for AOL or Cross over ceremonies. There is only one approved script. It is more like the court of honor in which you light a candle for each rank. 

Thankfully that new policy only affects the OA, not individual packs and/or troops.

34 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@krikkitbot, were you at a session or seminar of NOAC that discussed this?

No, but there was an email that came out either right before NOAC or during NOAC. I can't remember it was all a blur. You can go to https://oa-bsa.org/resources/inductions and read the new approved ceremonies. The AOL ceremony specifically states that it is never performed in regalia. They say "American Indian costume" but we know better than to call it costume, don't we?

15 minutes ago, krikkitbot said:

No, but there was an email that came out either right before NOAC or during NOAC. I can't remember it was all a blur. You can go to

We've all seen that. It's just that there was apparently going to be a discussion at NOAC about that announcement. I'm just wondering if it really happened. As in, was there feedback given on the idea.

I didn't go to ceremonies sessions. Interestingly, during the evening show, they brought out the black robes and made a point to emphasize that the ceremonies are not native american ceremonies. They are our traditions. I foresee a change in the near future going back to black robes and doing away with all native american regalia. 

Black robes won't work in my area as we tried once before. Got complaints about the black robes being satanic as well as too reminiscent of the KKK robes.

16 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Black robes won't work in my area as we tried once before. Got complaints about the black robes being satanic as well as too reminiscent of the KKK robes.

Forest green robes?  But that might be too close to the Spiral Scouts, if they still exist.   :)

Back in the day, my old lodge used velvet robes which were the same color as Hef's but with a different cut and hood.  Rather intimidating back then. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MattR said:

We've all seen that. It's just that there was apparently going to be a discussion at NOAC about that announcement. I'm just wondering if it really happened. As in, was there feedback given on the idea.

From those who went, I was told there as no additional pronouncements or speeches addressing it.  At the expo, there were those available that would confirm what was previously announced.  One tidbit I got was that you can still use regalia, for Crossover/AOL, so long as the NA groups in your area have been consulted and give their blessing.  That seems contradictory to the language in the announcement. so I am working under the impression the announcement is the valid instruction to follow.

Westley: If only we had a wheelbarrow, that would be something for our OA lodge activities...
Inigo: Where did we put that wheelbarrow the scout had?
Fezzik: Over the scout I think.
Westley: Well why didn't you list that among our assets in the first place? Oh, what I wouldn't give for a black cloak.
Inigo: There, we cannot help you.
Fezzik: [pulls out a black cloak] Will this do?
Inigo: Where did you get that?
Fezzik: At the troop's scout closet. It fit so nice, they said I could keep it.

caption61.jpg

Fezzik: Welcome to the OA! There will be no survivors! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Buggie said:

Westley: If only we had a wheelbarrow, that would be something for our OA lodge activities...
Inigo: Where did we put that wheelbarrow the scout had?
Fezzik: Over the scout I think.
Westley: Well why didn't you list that among our assets in the first place? Oh, what I wouldn't give for a black cloak.
Inigo: There, we cannot help you.
Fezzik: [pulls out a black cloak] Will this do?
Inigo: Where did you get that?
Fezzik: At the troop's scout closet. It fit so nice, they said I could keep it.

caption61.jpg

Fezzik: Welcome to the OA! There will be no survivors! 

LOL, except that you need to be 14 to use a wheelbarrow......   No regalia, no wheelbarrows.....Soon only full Class A's 100% of the time, with BSA socks and underwear....