Secret ingredient noncompetition

Almond extract for pancakes, french toast.

A bit of sugar in the mashed potatoes.

Chili powder on corn-on-the-cob.

Apple cider in stead of water in the stew.

Garlic and bacon bits in the mashed potatoes.

Cream cheese and sour cream in the mashed potatoes.

Apple pie filling and BBQ sauce over pork chops.

Apple sauce and sweet cabbage (red) over pork loin roast.

Zucchini, summer squash and onions sauteed in Balsamic vinegar.

Just to name a few...

Add an egg to boxed pancake mix

Worcestershire Sauce and/or nutmeg to ground beef for hamurgers or meatloaf

Crushed pineapple (drained) to pancake mix (especially good ith buckwheat pancakes)

Butter only (no milk) for mashing potatoes

Smoke...as in smoked pork butt (not what you think) put in brine for 24 hours, rubbed with kosher salt, smoked paprika and herbs de Provence, smoked until internal temp is 150F, wrap in tin foil and then finished in Dutch oven until internal temp is 200F. Let rest 30 mins in tin foil. Then get two forks and pull apart. 

Serve with beans and slaw. Grab a chair, some sweet tea and watch this sunset...

Palo-Duro-Canyons-Lighthouse-at-Sunset-1

• Upvote 1

During college, I studied German, so I got a job as an assistant cook in a German restaurant.   Very fun job.

The owner/chef taught me her recipes.  Her chicken salad was a favorite.  It was made with turkey.....

It was not "German Chicken salad" per se,  but the recipe included mayonnaise, celery, salt and pepper and...  turkey.   The menu stated "Chicken salad".  In my tenure, no one ever asked about that.  Das war nicht ein  huhner,  aber eine puter. 

• Upvote 1

It was not "German Chicken salad" per se,  but the recipe included mayonnaise, celery, salt and pepper and...  turkey.   The menu stated "Chicken salad".  In my tenure, no one ever asked about that.  Das war nicht ein  huhner,  aber eine puter. 

ROFL. You mean "turkey" (Puten), not computer (puter).  :D

I am hungry already.

Another ASM in my troop carries a pouch of bacon bits for non-desserts and another of semi-sweet chocolate for desserts. He figures you can't go wrong with bacon and chocolate

Probably not a "secret ingredient" as I believe I am the only one who likes this: Raisins in scrambled eggs. :huh:

• Upvote 1