What feedback from a BOR was acted on, required action in troop

Been involved in 3 troops, and those troop BOR's may have, at most, just elevated priorities in the program, say a high adventure trek. I guess that is a good thing, in that any problems were already known and being worked.  Can't recall any surprises from scouts.

YMMV 

Been involved in 3 troops, and those troop BOR's may have, at most, just elevated priorities in the program, say a high adventure trek. I guess that is a good thing, in that any problems were already known and being worked.  Can't recall any surprises from scouts.

YMMV

Same. Never had a surprise.

Never gotten a comment from BOR members about any issues that affected any adults.  At most it was more just personality conflicts between scouts.  I figured if BOR turned over any major concerns they would say something.  None of them ever has.

Most BOR comments were the scout was unprepared for the review and requested to come back better prepared.  Troop policy is full uniform and book.  Partial uniform or lack of book, you get bounced. 

We had a few surprises, mostly from scouts who transferred from other troops that weren't yet familiar with the policy differences. We were doing a Star BOR for one scout who just joined our troop. It turned out that he had not yet met his leadership requirement. I can't remember how it got past the SM Conference, but we couldn't let the scout continue, so we talked a lot of how to present the situation to the scout so that it was a negative experience. Turns out he kind of saw it coming, but was too shy to say anything. All was well. Then we had a few challenges with some mentally challenged scouts. We learned to have the parents close by so we could refer to them if needed. 

Barry

I've Only done the one BOR, and the only actionable item that came up was something that is already known, and they are trying to address.

The boys want more boy lead.

I wish I would have asked this, but it didn't come to mind till after....

When he said the troop needs more boy lead, I should have asked 

How would you make that happen?.... and/or.....How can I/we help to make that happen?

Really, I think I know a solution already... not his answer, but what needs to be done.... but still, I should have asked him.

I've been on several Boards of Review for Scouts at all levels of our Troop.

Some of the bigger items we (troop committee) learned were:

1. A Life Scout who really did not know how to find a merit badge counselor on their own.  Most merit badges he had were either Summer Camp, MB Fair, or Troop offered; not where he had to seek out a counselor on his own (or from the District List).  It turned out most Scouts did not know about this option, so that was discussed with the Troop.

2. Some reasons why it is difficult to get Scouts to step up and run for SPL.  (We're still working on a plan here, including using ILST).

3. Roses and Thorns (or SSC) would be applied at a macro level (i.e. "do we want to do that type of campout again"), but would not get implemented on a micro level (i.e. how can we improve meal preparation, etc.)

I've Only done the one BOR, and the only actionable item that came up was something that is already known, and they are trying to address.

The boys want more boy lead.

I wish I would have asked this, but it didn't come to mind till after....

When he said the troop needs more boy lead, I should have asked 

How would you make that happen?.... and/or.....How can I/we help to make that happen?

Really, I think I know a solution already... not his answer, but what needs to be done.... but still, I should have asked him.

Before you ask how to make it happen, ask the scout what he means by boy led. 

You would be surprised at what boys think boy led means.

Barry

• Upvote 1

great point Barry.

That is one question that I DID ask him  :D

It was a very short and simple answer...."the scouts running the meetings".

But I wouldn't really expect much more than that from a 11-12 year old that really hasn't ever experienced or even seen a great boy lead program.

That is a good answer and one I would take to the SM for a curious response. I would also be curious what has motivated that suggestion. Is there frustration or just an idea of his own. A lot times the young scout is just sounding off what the older scouts are saying.

This will be something interesting for you to ponder.

Barry

• Upvote 1

great point Barry.

But I wouldn't really expect much more than that from a 11-12 year old that really hasn't ever experienced or even seen a great boy lead program.

You're not going to get details until you hear from older boys at higher ranks.

Our boys give us feedback like:

• When can we go back to Dolly Sods?
  • More camping, please.
  • My other troop was adult lead. I like being trusted with QM here.

All of which we already knew. What's important is that the continual feedback from the boys offsets constant pressure from adults to do other things.

great point Barry.

Depends on what one teaches the boys.  While it wasn't a BOR I have overheard boys tell their parents that boy led means.  The best answer so far was a 11 year old TF who said Boy Led means they have to take care of each other and make sure everyone has fun.  That pretty much sums it up for me.....

I've been fortunate in that none of the BORs I've sat on had any actionable  feedback. SMs usually caught it before the BOR.

Now my Eagle BOR was interesting. The district advancement chair was going to deny me my Eagle because he did not approve the project, one of his predecessors approved it 4 or 5 years previous. Thankfully when he answered my question as to why I am not being approved for Eagle, I was able to politely, and firmly told him he was wrong for denying it and how do I go about  appealing the decision because his predecessor who DID approve my project,  was sitting on my EBOR, and that it did not make any sense that he as the current DAC needed to approve it.

I was sent back out of the room while the EBOR discussed the matter. I was approved.

We've had some action that we had to act on.  

- Behavior issues between the scouts.  

- Adults that overreached and were affecting the scouts.  

I really hope we can let the scout get comfortable enough at the BOR to let us know what he thinks.  

• Upvote 1