:dry:  :cool:

While perusing FB postings from a few past scouts, as well as a now retired camp director, bragging about their various craft beers, I had the sudden inspiration about developing a Brewing merit badge.  We already brew root beer for our weekly closing dinner at our summer camp, to go along with our barbecue feast.  

So, we give the scouts a real adult skill, but limit it to non alcoholic of course.  Bet we would have few issues with finding counselors for it.

:laugh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same argument can be made for guns and sex...

There are those who's driving is obstructed by eating and drinking coffee, prescription and TOC drugs, smoking pot and cigarettes, changing the channel on the radio, playing with the heater/AC, talkin

I wonder if the guy beating the horse had been drinking?  Either way, he's walking now.

@@skeptic, I have an uncle who runs a brewery. Besides beer they brew root beer, as well as other things. He does host youth groups intestested in the science of breeding. How much more STEM can you get?

I suspect district or council would have a heart attack at the thought of scouts Ina brewery though.

@@skeptic, I have an uncle who runs a brewery. Besides beer they brew root beer, as well as other things. He does host youth groups intestested in the science of breeding. How much more STEM can you get?

I suspect district or council would have a heart attack at the thought of scouts Ina brewery though.

Brewing is very STEM. I think this is a great idea! But you are right, there are lots of people that would have kittens over this if national actually proposed such a merit badge. But the fireworks would probably be fun to watch!

I'm sure there are plenty of SM's out there that can teach brewing to the boys.  I brew coffee and tea all the time.  Mention brewing and before one can finish the sentence, the people standing around have sucked every bit of oxygen out of the air and are in full rant mode.

As the unofficial "Guy with the Keg" (of 1912 root beer) at an area camporee, I'm in no position to object.

Keeping those taps from clogging is definitely tech!

Well this district had a brewing based event, so I am going to go out on a limb and take it national does not have an issue with boys learning the brewing sciences any more than learning chemistry will turn them in to a pack of Breaking Bad psychos.

Better be careful that that limb doesn't break off.

First of all, it appears from the flyer that it is not really a "brewing based event", but a drinking-based event. It is held at a place called the "Urban Legends Brewing Company", but the actual gathering is in the "tap room". In other words they are inviting Scouters to come and donate some money and drink beer and ale. Not in uniform, of course.

Second of all, they are of course careful to say you have to be over 21 to attend. So this has nothing to do with youth members of the Boy Scouts.

I don't think I have ever heard of an event in our council that was quite like this. They have dinners at restaurants where alcohol is served, but an event that is held in a bar and is based solely around drinking... I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but doesn't it seem a little odd?

Edited by NJCubScouter

I don't think I have ever heard of an event in our council that was quite like this. They have dinners at restaurants where alcohol is served, but an event that is held in a bar and is based solely around drinking... I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but doesn't it seem a little odd?

Scouts visiting a place that brews beer should not be an issue. Units visit places where beer is served all the time (BBQs, fairs, restaurants, etc.), so as long as they are not violating any of the other standing policies then we should be okay visiting a brewery.

I had to think about this for a bit and have decided my take is that it's a non-starter - and not because drinking is bad, or alcohol is evil, or some other prudish reason for rejecting it.  I am a big believer in "life long learning".  If we offer every possible experience as a merit badge to Boy Scouts, what's left for adulthood?  Since the drinking age is 21 anyway, why not leave things like brewing, wine making, and spirit making as continuing ed type classes for those over 21, when they can legally enjoy the fruits of their labors.  After 16+ years of school, most young folk are "done with learning" but what 27 year old hipster wouldn't jump at the chance to learn how to brew their own beer?  Maybe one who learned how to do it as a 14 year old Scout.

I guess I'm a bit more laid back on this issue.  Taking the boys on a brewery tour, learning how to make wine, beer, distill spirits (which I learned in sophomore chemistry class anyway), is a good learning opportunity to get into the issues involved with this legal drug.  Will it lead the boys to alcohol?  Probably not any more will the tobacco barn across the road is going to lead my grandchildren to smoking.

Scouts visiting a place that brews beer should not be an issue. Units visit places where beer is served all the time (BBQs, fairs, restaurants, etc.), so as long as they are not violating any of the other standing policies then we should be okay visiting a brewery.

I have no problem if your unit visits a brewery. I was just pointing out that the district "brewing based event" that you used as an example was actually a bunch of Scouters getting together in a bar and drinking. It appears likely from the name of the establishment that there is a brewery there, but they weren't in the brewery part of the brewery, they were in the bar part of the brewery. So you might want to find another example.