For fear of running afoul of @LeCastor  ;), going back to the initial post, I think it would be an interesting merit badge.  I know a few people who brew, but I know nothing about it.  I think it would be kind of cool for the boys to brew root beer or sarsaparilla.  I wonder if the boys even know what sarsaparilla is! 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same argument can be made for guns and sex...

There are those who's driving is obstructed by eating and drinking coffee, prescription and TOC drugs, smoking pot and cigarettes, changing the channel on the radio, playing with the heater/AC, talkin

I wonder if the guy beating the horse had been drinking?  Either way, he's walking now.

Sarsaparilla has always been fascinating...coming from the Smilax genus. The common name in North America is woody greenbriar but the one that yields the flavorful drink is tropical. You might want to check on the pharmacological aspects too, they're interesting. I used to make it from the natural extract but I understand the flavor is synthetic these days, I could be wrong.

Bad Wolf, I condemn the substance and its use. I'm sorry for anyone for whom alcohol has achieved such importance in their life. I hope they can eventually see that good things don't have to come from a bottle or a tap.

I'm not sure how to apply that in terms of a group of people other than alcoholics and I do condemn them. Every time they 'fall off the wagon' they actively chose to drink. In every case they could have easily avoided whatever unpleasant situation they get into by NOT doing something, not taking that drink. I would not allow them ever to drive or operate anything that could potentially harm others. Ever. There is no such comparison to ideas or someone's nature.

Yes, I also condemn pedophiles and other criminals. I can't know who is (or is going to be) a pedophile until they act. I'm a little surprised at your comparison to drinkers. I think that comparison is a little harsh until the drinker harms someone. Then I condemn the person as well as the substance.

And with that, I think the relative positions on the use of alcohol have been made clear and in light of where this thread has gone in a fairly small number of posts, I would request/beg/urge/plead/ask nicely that we all just let it drop at this point. I guess future threads discussing the subject of alcohol use should be in Issues and Politics... except I would hope (since some people do not venture into I&P) that if someone wanted to start a thread specifically about the BSA's policy on alcohol use (which there have been a few of in the past) we could do that under Open Discussion or some other appropriate section but keep it narrowly focused.

And I only thought it would bring a small bit of amusement after one of my best Eagles posted about his prize winning craft beer.  It surely evolved into more than I expected.