New Chief Executive Announced

I did. And it really did seem that in various threads in the past you have described your program as a quality program with a great bunch of scouts. I apologize if I was wrong. Regarding the new CE, If you think you or anyone else has facts regarding how the new guy is going to change things one way or the other, sorry...it's nothing but speculation.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad Wolf, good morning, wish I had read your post above before I posted mine, because you are right.  If the BSA wants a true fresh start, they'd bring an innovator from outside.   Still, I'm moderate

LeCastor, good points all.   Change is necessary.   But my beef with many of the BSA's changes over the years is that the changes dispensed with traditional, outdoor-oriented, successful aspects of sc

I guess I'm a bit more methodical on this. As a numbers person, I know the BSA has internal problems that far far out weigh uniforms and local option (uniforms?). For the past 15 years posters have be

What if the other parts of the country don't want to get on board? ;)

Probably the worse punishment that could be offered any egocentric SE ... They'll be ignored.

Regarding the new CE, If you think you or anyone else has facts regarding how the new guy is going to change things one way or the other, sorry...it's nothing but speculation.

The point of this whole thread is whether BSA has the right guy or not, so I'll agree that this premise is speculation. However, one can look at his background and experience, compare that with the needs of scouting and the problems it faces, and arrive at a conclusion that is more than speculation, but rather an informed decision.

You don't hire a head chef for your ship when you need a captain. That's what BSA has done. He might be a great cook, but he's not qualified to be captain.

Right guy or not? I find it interesting that both Deputy Scout Exec and Chief Operating Officer and the Assistant Scout Exec were stepped over.

http://scoutingnewsroom.org/about-the-bsa/national-leadership/assistant-chief-scout-executive-council-operations/  -  Gary Butler

http://scoutingnewsroom.org/about-the-bsa/national-leadership/assistant-chief-scout-executive-development/     - Brad Farmer

In this discussion, we could use an updated list of the job responsibilities of the Chief Scout Executive. My understanding is the CSE responsibilities are closer to a Chief yeoman than a ship captain (Executive Board).

Another $0.02

But is that really the BSA's fault? Yes, the program is switching away from the outdoors, and adding ridiculous rules about not using little red wagons, increasing the amount of adult supervision at all levels, and removing a lot of the adventure from scouting. But the BSA doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists in a society that is increasingly driven by fear and hysteria. NJ is considering whether it is automatically considered child neglect to leave a kid alone in a car for a few minutes. Kids are not allowed to play outside by themselves. Carrying a pocket knife (or even having one in your car) can get you expelled from school or worse. And the fear and hysteria is getting worse, not better.

As someone else pointed out, we now have the term "free range parenting (warning, that website can lead to depression)" to distinguish what used to be normal parenting from today's fear based parenting. The kids are inside playing video games because that is where the parents want them. And we want the BSA to allow groups of kids to go camping without adult supervision??? I wish it could, but in today's society everyone involved would be risking arrest and a legal nightmare.

I think one of the spurs to STEM Scouts is that the BSA sees the writing on the wall. Twenty years from now, it will probably be effectively impossible (perhaps even illegal) to take a group of youth out camping.

As much as I agree with the Free Range parenting thing a lot of that site is as much fear mongering as the "strangers are going to abduct and eat your kids using puppies" thing in the media, it's just how people are. We'll only lose the chance to take/let kids be outside if we surrender that ability.

As much as I agree with the Free Range parenting thing a lot of that site is as much fear mongering as the "strangers are going to abduct and eat your kids using puppies" thing in the media, it's just how people are. We'll only lose the chance to take/let kids be outside if we surrender that ability.

Wanted add, as much as I think the BSA is heading the wrong direction "my reports of it's demise have been greatly exaggerated" to paraphrase some old writer. 

In this discussion, we could use an updated list of the job responsibilities of the Chief Scout Executive. My understanding is the CSE responsibilities are closer to a Chief yeoman than a ship captain (Executive Board).

From the documentation and position description from BSA the role of CSE is akin to an executive director in an association or a CEO in a corporation. Those positions are hired to run day to day operations of the whole "ship". The board would be the "admiralty" and the president of the board would be the head of that body. Assistants to the CSE would be like the captain's XOs.

Wanted add, as much as I think the BSA is heading the wrong direction "my reports of it's demise have been greatly exaggerated" to paraphrase some old writer. 

The old writer was Mark Twain.  Loved his sense of humor!

From the documentation and position description from BSA the role of CSE is akin to an executive director in an association or a CEO in a corporation. Those positions are hired to run day to day operations of the whole "ship". The board would be the "admiralty" and the president of the board would be the head of that body. Assistants to the CSE would be like the captain's XOs.

Okay, then, who's the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer?  :)

I wonder if he, or any of those pro folks, read and participate in this forum.

My sense is, no.

It seems to me that this is the most active scouting forum around (at least that I have found), even if there are only a relative small number of folks highly active.... and if I were over the BSA, or even a higher up, I would be sure to check in daily to any and all scouting related blogs, forums, etc.... to get a pulse....

My sense is, no.

It seems to me that this is the most active scouting forum around (at least that I have found), even if there are only a relative small number of folks highly active.... and if I were over the BSA, or even a higher up, I would be sure to check in daily to any and all scouting related blogs, forums, etc.... to get a pulse....

You know, I've wondered the same thing.

There may be a few of the upper level pros that read this forum.  More than likely, if anyone at National reads it, they'll be mid-level folks in the cubical farms.   I hope they get something out of it.

My sense is, no.

That assumes they care what the rank and file feel. Recent events have indicated they don't (care).

What you suggest makes 100% sense. Find out what your members need and support them. Novel concept that goes sadly for want in BSA.  :dry:

Just because they use the catch phrase "Servant Leadership" doesn't mean they understand it and even if they did, what they preach doesn't have to match with what they do.  This is a clinical example of what goes wrong when you play with matches.