Smartphones in Scouting: A curse or a cure?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why did BP first set start scouts?   Because he realised young people could be useful members of society. It was quite simple really.   Cell phones and smart phones are here and here to stay. Th

Less texting, and more Scouting!

We are a Troop that collects and stores during outings. We have had boys lose, destroy, 'borrow' phones on campouts, text girl friends all weekend, and just play all day on them until the batteries d

Figured that'd be Kudu's response. If he's 300 feet away' date=' he can't really monitor for cell phones anyways. =P[/quote']

Well, aside from the laughable notion that anyone trained at Wood Badge would actually try Baden-Powell's Patrol System even once....

How exactly do you "monitor for cell phones" a Patrol backpacking without helicopters?

https://www.youtube.com/user/At300Feet

Yours at 300 feet!

Moot but not mute :cool:

Our Scouts still use airplane mode camera and music functions on trails with no service.

Which are increasingly rare: On the Atlantic Ocean leg of the Cumberland Island backpack trip (URL above), I had a constant signal to send continuous Facebook photo updates to families and friends worried about the severe thunderstorm forecast that day.

See "Cumberland Island National Seashore: Day One"

https://plus.google.com/100437668559826261011/posts

Well' date=' aside from the laughable notion that anyone trained at Wood Badge would actually try Baden-Powell's Patrol System even once.... How exactly do you "monitor for cell phones" a Patrol backpacking without helicopters? https://www.youtube.com/user/At300Feet Yours at 300 feet![/quote'] I'm not wood badge trained. My goal since rejoining the unit I grew up in as a adult has been to implement the patrol method in a troop that hasn't done anymore than pay it lip service in years. My comment was accurate. If you run the patrol method properly, adult leaders can't do anything about cell phones.

I just haven't found that smart phone use has done much negative to the scouts in my troop. We have several with smartphones, and I haven't seen the games, constant texting, and distraction. Even cheap fliphones have most of those functions. I do know that most of our leaders have and use smartphones, and maybe we are modeling the appropriate usage of them. I just don't know. If we start to have troubles we'll just institute a cyber totin' chip.

I'm not wood badge trained. My goal since rejoining the unit I grew up in as a adult has been to implement the patrol method in a troop that hasn't done anymore than pay it lip service in years. My comment was accurate. If you run the patrol method properly' date=' adult leaders can't do anything about cell phones.[/quote']

Respectfully, I have a different view. Under the Patrol Method, adults usually accomplish appropriate ends by influence, rather than direction. If electrical devices are seen as a serious barrier to Scouting taking place (not my view), adults leaders could do "something" by attempting to influence the ultimate decision by the leaders (Scouts) and their constituent Scouts. That process might be no more directive than helping to create a situation where the Scouts discover reasons why the devices are not appropriate or should be limited in some way(s). A "wilderness survival" campout might be encouraged where, of course, "critical" gear like electronics are lost in the "plane crash."