Earned ALL 134 merit badges in protest to labelled too young for Eagle?

Im sure its possible, I just question how much the boy retained from cramming all of those badges into that short of a time (combined with all his schoolwork as well). I know its not a requirement to retain anything from a merit badge....just seems like this is more of a "just so I could say I did it yay me" instead of actually learning 134 topics. How much could he tell you if you asked him about Pottery, or Scout Heritage, or Oceanography?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He would have shown me more had he spent the extra time camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, providing service, leadership to others and having fun with his Scout friends. All this proves is there is

We likely are, as usual, missing some important elements of the story. If he has had the support of SM's, then who is holding him back from the Eagle completion? Does it have to do with leadership i

Yeah, it's funny. I'm an Eagle Scout. I can't count the number of people who've told me over the years, "I could have been an Eagle but....insert lame excuse here." After high school I joined the N

Earning all the merit badges is like driving all 47,00 miles of the interstate highway system. Sure, it takes a lot of time and effort, but to what end? My first question would be why would you want to do either? Nor is it the purpose/intent of either.

Of course you then want the rest of us to pretend it's some great accomplishment on the order of winning the Indy 500. But becoming an Indy driver requires real skill and talent, not to mention years of practice and dedication. Driving every mile of the interstate system only takes time, money and a cast iron butt.

Attaboy!!!

not sure how anyone can do this and have an active school and social life and even then get old enough to have a job too. But I'm not saying it can't be done. But my big question is WHY get them all done now before he's even 14. So great he thinks this might speed up Eagle, but then once he get's Eagle what's left to do??? All he can do after getting Eagle is wait his times for the different Eagle Palms since he has be badges already. So great to have a goal to earn them all, but why get them all done before you are 14? Just sounds stupid to me.

but as always that's just my opinion!

I admit I have mixed emotions on this. On one hand I too have questions on how we went about the process. If he focused on himself and his goal instead of working with the troop on event as someone mentioned, I think the priority is in the wrong place. If the MBs were pencil whipped, I have a problem with it.

BUT if someone really ticked him off, and he created this goal as a way of proving the other guy wrong AND went about it the proper way, then OUT FREAKING STANDING.

Way back when I was a young ASM I got ticked off at some folks at RT and on the district committee who said I didn't know anything about Scouting due to my age and /or I don't have any knots. Thus came my goal to get as many knots as I could. Stupid I know now, but that is how I thought at the time.

BUT as someone mentioned, will it matter in x number of years? Even after I earned my Scouter's Training Award and had a "real" knot instead of my youth knots, I was still ignored by the folks.Even after receiving Vigil from my lodge, I was I don't know anything about the OA from some of those same folks.

Agree Twocubdad.. Sounds like scout did a lot of busy work (or his parents did), but has he stopped long enough to learn & understand what scouting is all about. I am wondering how many of those meritbadges were done the right way, and how many were in watered down summer camp programs, meritbadge workshops, and mom or dad as the MBC..

He also makes it sound like if he didn't do this then he would NEVER earn eagle rank, I don't those slowing him down wanted to see was all meritbadges what they wanted was him to slow down and enjoy the process .. He totally proved he just doesn't get it.

Though I don't think it is right for someone to hold someone back with false rules when they decide to earn Eagle at 13 or whatever.. It is simply give him his patch, and I personally at this stage of the game, would not be impressed.. Now, if afterwards he stayed in and settled into enjoying scouting, he would then earn my respect, and if he high tailed it out with his badge, he is simply a paper eagle.. Nothing for people to make up rules from keeping him from doing it..

So give him his patch with all his meritbadges and see if he stays in and slows down.. I believe if he tries to turn those Merit Badges into palms, what he has left will force a slow down.. if Mr. speedy speeds off to other things.. Well, maybe those things can teach him what scouting failed to.

After becoming an Eagle Scout, you may earn Palms by completing the following requirements:

1. Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm. (Eagle Palms must be earned in sequence, and the three-month tenure requirement must be observed for each Palm.)

2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

3. Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

4. Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm. (Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.)

PS.. Seriously how many scouts AIM for earning all 134 meritbadges? In my lifetime, I have met a total of zero.

I tutored a kid on bugle, whose mom ained for him to earn all 134 merit badges. Kid himself didn't. He didn't even want to play bugle. (I broke off the tutoring sessions because they were not productive, since you can't learn to play a brass instrument without practicing.)

Folks, calm down......You're not hearing me.... This Merit Badge Maven WAS in school. The MBs were no doubt his curriculum. Depending on his personal family situation, (the parents arrange the tutorage, either they teach and assign or some other arrangement) a home schooler may be under the aegis of a "central academy" that gives justification and accreditation for his learning. This "academy" awards a state approved diploma. With very few exceptions, every MB can be given some academic credit. Name me a MB, I'll give you some academic credit for it. Scoutson went to Philmont and Seabase, wrote essays about his experiences (english, geography, natural history). Smallboat Sailing at Summer Camp? Used that for pieces of phys ed and physics.(force and simple machines, bouyancy, ) , Orienteering (magnetism, maps and geography, geometry), Physical Fitness (ditto), . True, Scoutson did not pursue all the MBs, but rest assured, them he earned , we used 'em for his schooling. He is now pursuing a certificate at the local Community College AND working AND paying his own tuition doing it. Many of his professors (i've met some of them) comment on how mature he behaves compared to some of his "normal" schooled colleagues of similar age..

A hundred MBs in 3 years? I might have spaced'em out a bit more, but , hey, it is possible.

Did the parents become the MBCs? Maybe, but the allowing of THAT is not in question. Who would 've allowed that?

Will the Scout remember much of the MB stuff? Do you remember much of your seventh grade history?

Oh sure, I do remember and use alot of my Scout stuff and Scoutson has made note of that as we tie things on the cartop, or work around the house, or deal with an otherwise disagreeable neighbor. Maybe, just maybe..... this scout will claim some skill he learned at 14 , later on in life when needed.

Folks, calm down......You're not hearing me.... This Merit Badge Maven WAS in school. The MBs were no doubt his curriculum. Depending on his personal family situation, (the parents arrange the tutorage, either they teach and assign or some other arrangement) a home schooler may be under the aegis of a "central academy" that gives justification and accreditation for his learning. This "academy" awards a state approved diploma. With very few exceptions, every MB can be given some academic credit. Name me a MB, I'll give you some academic credit for it. Scoutson went to Philmont and Seabase, wrote essays about his experiences (english, geography, natural history). Smallboat Sailing at Summer Camp? Used that for pieces of phys ed and physics.(force and simple machines, bouyancy, ) , Orienteering (magnetism, maps and geography, geometry), Physical Fitness (ditto), . True, Scoutson did not pursue all the MBs, but rest assured, them he earned , we used 'em for his schooling. He is now pursuing a certificate at the local Community College AND working AND paying his own tuition doing it. Many of his professors (i've met some of them) comment on how mature he behaves compared to some of his "normal" schooled colleagues of similar age..

A hundred MBs in 3 years? I might have spaced'em out a bit more, but , hey, it is possible.

Did the parents become the MBCs? Maybe, but the allowing of THAT is not in question. Who would 've allowed that?

Will the Scout remember much of the MB stuff? Do you remember much of your seventh grade history?

Oh sure, I do remember and use alot of my Scout stuff and Scoutson has made note of that as we tie things on the cartop, or work around the house, or deal with an otherwise disagreeable neighbor. Maybe, just maybe..... this scout will claim some skill he learned at 14 , later on in life when needed.

Sorry, if earned that way, then still not done right. the Merit badge program is not meant to be taught in a classroom setting, or replace your school curriculum.. Here is one big NO.NO. "The parents arrange the tutorage.." Basically none of these merit badges were due to the scout having any interest or effort in controlling his own pace or planning. He just sat, and let people organize for him and lecture to him, or assign him homework, which he did with as much interest as, well, homework..

You just defined the kid as a puppet that the parents control his every breath.. So that is a lot of detail on how this scout did it. Do you know the kid personally?

No, I don't know him "personally". I have known many home schoolers, and there are many different reasons why they and we chose to go that route. The MB programs lend themselves very easily to a school subject, as I noted before.

We are , after all, only making suppositions about this particular situation. The parents (who are in charge of the "home school") decide the how and when and why of the childs tutalege. Maybe they used the MBs maybe not. But if their Scout decided to go the whole route, hey, let's get on that band wagon and use it to our advantage. Does the boy take music lessons? Play the trumpet? There's a MB for that. Is there a community actors company nearby? There's a MB for that. Does the local community college have some non-credit classes in, oh, I don't know, pottery, ceramics, sketching, auto mechanics, there's a MB for that. The home schooler uses the community as an extended classroom. Nothing is outside the realm of a lesson to be learned. As the HSer gets on in years and can exhibit some advanced knowledge, it is not unusual for the community college to allow the older high schooler to take the entry level courses, with or without scholastic credit.

Does the parent "control his every breath"? No more or less than the other average parent, except that the HSer is much more connected to the parents and the rest of his family . They tend to know where their kid is and what he is doing moreso than many other parents. They assign and correct and praise and critique and guide more than the other average parent, who demonstrably leave alot of their kid's upbringing to others: nanny, teachers, soccercoach, SCOUTLEADERS......

So if the kid... ANY kid... decides to pursue the goal of earning each and every MB, I say more power to him. If he does less than the posted requirements and is passed on, I say that is not our look out. Maybe someone there knows about that , but we can only guess and , maybe, if we meet this Scout , we can get him into a conversation about the subject important to us. "Hey, I got that Aviation MB a long time ago! Did you have any trouble with the VFR guides?" and see what he does....

• Downvote 1

As a dad of five home schooled kids, I admit we used the scouting program a bit. They make wonderful ready made mini lessons.

But I must admit I just can't see how I could have used ALL 134 of them.

An old truism " Ya get out of something what ya put in" most of the scouts in my old troop got leatherworking at camp. made a key ring or something. I went to a guy who did leather for a living. He made me EARN that badge. He added nothing to the reqs. but I had to do it right! not some slipshod, halfway attempt. Needless to say that's the merit badge I'm proudest of.

I can't help but wonder if this scout will be proud of any of his....

a sad thing if he can not.

Oldscout

PS I still do leather work from time to time

Some other newspapers have now picked-up this story, neither link below mentions that he was earlier denied Eagle because he was too young. Both articles below mention

1. his goal is to earn Eagle by his 14th birthday this January.

2. he plans to continue in Scouting

3. He is homeschooled

4. Working to earn all MB's "just happened"

5. believes he is 210th scout to earn ALL mb's

6. nothing about parental help

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...ry-merit-badge

http://newstimes.augusta.com/news/20...ry-merit-badge

One interesting statement was the following:

"Though (scout) can buy the badges he’s earned, he’d rather wait until mid-December, when they’ll be presented to him at a quarterly Court of Honor ceremony."

Wow when did this happen? Ok scout congratulations, you earned these merit badges. Here's your receipt (blue card), go down to the scout store or scoutstuff and buy 'em. Say they are having a sale - buy 3 merit badges and get 20% off on your next merit badge pamphlet.

Have to admit, I have felt like tell some helicopter parents this, when our troop's recognition process wasn't fast enough for them. What next out-source COH to local scout store?

My $0.02,

Some other newspapers have now picked-up this story, neither link below mentions that he was earlier denied Eagle because he was too young. Both articles below mention

3. He is homeschooled

"Though (scout) can buy the badges he’s earned, he’d rather wait until mid-December, when they’ll be presented to him at a quarterly Court of Honor ceremony."

Wow when did this happen? Ok scout congratulations, you earned these merit badges. Here's your receipt (blue card), go down to the scout store or scoutstuff and buy 'em. Say they are having a sale - buy 3 merit badges and get 20% off on your next merit badge pamphlet.

Have to admit, I have felt like tell some helicopter parents this, when our troop's recognition process wasn't fast enough for them. What next out-source COH to local scout store?

My $0.02,

Again, the statement may not be accurate. Certainly in our store, you cannot buy badges without either an actual rank or card (not blue card) or an advancement report, unless you can prove it some other way. Of course, we always have the parents that think they can just do that, but in most councils, I suspect it is fairly well controlled, just not infallible.

3. He is homeschooled

My $0.02,

Same here, an adult needs unit advancement paperwork to buy badges. A random parent and certainly a scout cannot purchase badges.

As to parents misconceptions, I have wonder if merit badges, rank badges, etc, should be placed behind the counter, not out with the rest of the scout goods that can be openly purchased???

3. He is homeschooled

My $0.02,

Glad to hear he is staying in for a while, hopefully he will have time to learn what scouting is all about and learn the real merits that it is trying to teach. Strange though that his parents are going to let him stay, rather then planning a whole new bunch of hoops the poor kid must jump though in order to prove himself

Yeah, kindof wonder if 20 or 30 years from now he will look back at these merit badges that now hold absolutely no meaning, and think.. "I could of had a childhood".

No when his lad is a scouter, he will be the guy at roundtable that says, oh your only an eagle, well I am an eagle with 10 palms.