So what do people think of the Training Changes?

So sorry packsaddle. :) But that is what it is!.. Never sat through federal government presentations, but it did sort of remind me of my speech class in college when I took it.. But my college class wasn't all that bad, I do remember on guys presentation on changing a tire, and it was the first time I ever heard "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosie" and that was never forgotten.. So it had it's merits. In BSA you need to present something that is scout oriented.. One guy through us when we learned origami.. We're all doing origami and thinking, this guy didn't pay attention to the rules.. Then come to find out he was cubscouts and some cub scout rank advancement could be accomplished with origami skills..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDGE is required for people to be Trainer's. Not just Wood Badge. The Cubscout Program is changing in 2015. Philmont Training Center has a course that explains/trains about it this Summer. I like the coming changes. Having people fully understand what is required for the Program is a good thing, since what is done in Den/Pack meetings vary wildly from Unit to Unit. Plus having people trained in what the Program is and how to put it on will help retain Scouts, Scouters & Parents within the program and get them to the next level. Plus, if everyone in the Pack Committee understands what is supposed to happen, then there will be/should be less headaches.

EDGE training besides what's in a Troop, is based upon how to provide better training to those who show up. It's a good class. I have taken it and helped put it on. Besides, if you have Trainer's who are training and do not have EDGE, technically, those Training Cards are not vaild...;) EDGE Training is valid for three years.

EDGE is required for people to be Trainer's. Not just Wood Badge. The Cubscout Program is changing in 2015. Philmont Training Center has a course that explains/trains about it this Summer. I like the coming changes. Having people fully understand what is required for the Program is a good thing, since what is done in Den/Pack meetings vary wildly from Unit to Unit. Plus having people trained in what the Program is and how to put it on will help retain Scouts, Scouters & Parents within the program and get them to the next level. Plus, if everyone in the Pack Committee understands what is supposed to happen, then there will be/should be less headaches.

EDGE training besides what's in a Troop, is based upon how to provide better training to those who show up. It's a good class. I have taken it and helped put it on. Besides, if you have Trainer's who are training and do not have EDGE, technically, those Training Cards are not vaild...;) EDGE Training is valid for three years.

Can you show me where BSA says it is required for Trainers.. here is what I got from Scouting.org..

The Trainer's EDGE

"While the Trainer's EDGE is a required train-the-trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs, it is also for other trainers wishing to enhance their training and presentation skills."

Which goes along with what I have been told. It is required for wood badge and highly recommended for trainers but not required... But perhaps you have wind of upcoming changes to who is required to have this training.. Otherwise, I think you are being told that by a council who may have made it a council requirement, or a Training head who wants their staff trained, but rather then stating it is their requirement, they are trying to push the blame on someone/something higher up.

So the Train the Trainer is changing from just the EDGE course to 3 courses.!.

Counting twenty minutes of EDGE in place of the Patrol Method in the "Patrol Method" session of Scoutmaster Specific Training?

I think kudu is referring to Adult Leader training, he specifically stated the Scoutmaster Specific Training. In my experience, many of our adult leaders need more intensive training in how to train using the Patrol Method, not so much how to train specific skills using edge.

Yeah, Huey, that's all fine and good, but if I get my BSA guard from somebody who ran an aquatics area for five years but hasn't taken EDGE for a decade, I think my card is bout as valid as that from a guy who to EDGE yesterday but has only operated an area for one year.

"EDGE Training is valid for three years."

In typical BSA 'redundant training is required' mode, after you have three years experience using EDGE; your brain suddenly forgets all your experience and you need to be re-trained.

JoeBob,

Just wait until national requires you to redo basic training every time they change the name of the courses. They already tried to do that once, and the result is it is up to the discretion of the local training chairs.

Just follow the advice of one DE I had, every time I teach a course, I put my name on the rooster. as a student as well.

A whole course on EDGE? How can you possibly spend more than 20 minutes explaining EDGE?

Over the years I've defended EDGE as part of the Boy Scout program simply because it is ONE way of teaching Scouts how to teach and requires them to pay attention to where their students are in the learning process. I certainly don't think it is a good way to teach in every circumstance, but if you are new at being an instructor it's a good starting point. But for adult trainers?

joebob:

It looks more like this:

E - Enter the room

X - X-ray your volunteers checkbook.

P - Puff up your tail feathers.

L - List your credentials

A - Affirm the value of repetitive training.

I - Inflate your ego

N - Never actually teach anything . . . . but recommend another, more expensive, err I mean, EXTENSIVE course.

A whole course on EDGE? How can you possibly spend more than 20 minutes explaining EDGE?

Over the years I've defended EDGE as part of the Boy Scout program simply because it is ONE way of teaching Scouts how to teach and requires them to pay attention to where their students are in the learning process. I certainly don't think it is a good way to teach in every circumstance, but if you are new at being an instructor it's a good starting point. But for adult trainers?

W-w-w-w-ait just a minute. Do you mean we have to PAY for this? You're kidding, right?

Around Here Merit Badge Counselor $15; Safety Afloat/Swim Defense renewals $15; CPR is $30; OLS runs $50; SM Specific/Safety Afloat/Swim Defense/Troop Committee $120; Wood Badge is $230. I can't remember what I paid for Trainers Edge, but that was years ago, so it probably cost more now. The only trainings I've been to where I didn't have to pay were online.

Let's see: On one hand there is someone who wants my skills and time and they are not only willing to pay me for them, they also pay for any training I need for their special applications. On the other hand there is someone who wants my skills and time and they want it for free. As a bonus, they expect ME to pay THEM for specialized training related to their needs. I have this about right?

No, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I know this the reality. I'm just always amazed at how we 'roll' like we do.

Most our trainings are $8 to $10.. But to keep IOLS at $10 bucks, we expect patrols to organize and buy their food, and we have to hold class not in council camps because the charge for it.. IOLS still has to have a cooking demo which means purchasing food, and if we have it at the Masonic hall, they expect a donations.. Other trainings it's for Xerox copies, and usually we have coffee and refreshments. But, it sounds like NeverAnEagle council over charges, of course if they always teach at a council camp, that could explain it..

Sorry I'm volunteering my time to be a trainer.. So I'm not paying out of my personal pocket for the meeting place and for feeding you all day.

Nor should you. The expenses should be paid by the district or the council. They should pay YOUR expenses too.

Well, I am fine with everyone pay for food.. What burned me was when they stopped allowing us use of the camps for free to do training.. Now, I have to work hard to find something that will allow us free to very, very cheap that is not scout property.. I would rather donate $25 to a Mason organization for use of their facility then pay $125 for the use of scout property.. I could understand if a paying customer came first, and we got bumped or moved to the not so nice location.. But, charging us a high price when we could be training 1 or 25, was ridiculous.

How does one put their name on a rooster?

:)

Stosh