So what do people think of the Training Changes?

EDGE is required for people to be Trainer's. Not just Wood Badge. The Cubscout Program is changing in 2015. Philmont Training Center has a course that explains/trains about it this Summer. I like the coming changes. Having people fully understand what is required for the Program is a good thing, since what is done in Den/Pack meetings vary wildly from Unit to Unit. Plus having people trained in what the Program is and how to put it on will help retain Scouts, Scouters & Parents within the program and get them to the next level. Plus, if everyone in the Pack Committee understands what is supposed to happen, then there will be/should be less headaches.

EDGE training besides what's in a Troop, is based upon how to provide better training to those who show up. It's a good class. I have taken it and helped put it on. Besides, if you have Trainer's who are training and do not have EDGE, technically, those Training Cards are not vaild...;) EDGE Training is valid for three years.

Very, very carefully
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few hours are on teaching the EDGE method, but they have each participant bring something physical that they can do a demonstration on. You are not suppose to have your whole demonstration prepared and practiced though. Then after the instruction, they give you time to prep your presentation, you break down into small groups of about 6 people and you listen to each of your teams presentations and critique them afterwards.

.... and THIS is why I hated Trainer's EDGE when I took it. I can afford the course fee but I hate losing a whole Saturday to garbage like this when I don't need it. I would recommend the course highly to someone who has never trained or instructed kids before but it's just a little annoying after 20+ years of teaching Scouts.